Thu, 07/09/2015 - 13:36

Rosalind faces Motion duo in Dick Memorial

Adam Coglianese/NYRA
Rosalind wins the May 2 Sheepshead Bay at Belmont Park.

The Delaware Park racing office has put together an interesting undercard to support the $300,000 Delaware Oaks, the second-richest stakes of its season. The richest race, the $750,000 Delaware Handicap, will be run next Saturday, July 18.

Thu, 07/09/2015 - 13:21

Hastings Racing Club sends out first starter

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – If Urban Achiever wins the second race at Hastings on Saturday, there won’t be enough space in the winner’s enclosure to take the traditional win picture. The 2-year-old colt by Idiot Proof is the first horse to start for the Hastings Racing Club. The cost to join the club is $250, and club manager Richard Yates said the full allotment of 200 shares has been sold, and there is a waiting list for next year.

Thu, 07/09/2015 - 12:26

R Valentino stepping up in allowance sprint

R Valentino was impressive in winning a maiden special weight race in his first start of the year and will be tested for class when he runs in a first-level allowance race at Northlands Park on Saturday. The 6 1/2-furlong sprint for 3-year-olds and up drew eight horses and appears to be a wide-open event.

Post time for the first of nine races is 1 p.m. Mountain.

Thu, 07/09/2015 - 11:12

Expanded gambling approved for Woodbine

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – The Toronto City Council voted on Wednesday to endorse the expansion of gambling at Woodbine, provided that several conditions are met, including the construction of an integrated entertainment complex to go along with an expanded casino.

There are 3,000 slot machines at Woodbine, along with several virtual table games. Regular table games such as blackjack, craps, and roulette would be part of the expansion, along with more slots.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 18:22

Oklahoma owner Gerald Dixon dies

Gerald Dixon, who raced Remington Park standout Highland Ice, died on Tuesday, according to a release from the Oklahoma City track. Dixon was 92. He had been in hospice care in Amarillo, Texas, according to Bunch-Roberts Funeral Home.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 15:31

Vazquez appeals fine for positive test

Juan Vazquez, the trainer who has been banned from tracks across the Mid-Atlantic, has been granted an appeal of a $2,000 fine for a positive drug test at Penn National for a regulated medication that has a sedative effect, according to the Pennsylvania Racing Commission.

The appeal was granted June 26, according to the commission.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 15:01

Study identifies high-risk factors for track fatalities

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Horses who are at a greater risk of suffering fatal injuries are becoming easier to identify because of the isolation of several high-risk factors gleaned from a six-year-old injury database, according to the epidemiologist analyzing the data for the U.S. racing industry.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 14:46

Alsvid to be rested after fifth in Smile

Churchill Downs/Reed Palmer Photography
Alsvid wins the Grade 3 Aristedes at Churchill.

Alsvid quietly became a millionaire Sunday at Gulfstream Park when he finished fifth in the Grade 2 Smile Sprint. He had been the second choice in the Summit of Speed race after upsetting champion Work All Week in that champion sprinter’s comeback at Churchill Downs, but he ended up chasing wire-to-wire winner Favorite Tale. Alsvid now will get some downtime, trainer Chris Hartman said on Wednesday.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 14:41

Integral faces tougher field in Falmouth repeat bid

Integral could become the first repeat winner of the Group 1 Falmouth Stakes since 2005 when she starts in the one-mile race for fillies and mares Friday over Newmarket’s July Course, but the group she faces this season looks deeper than the one she beat in 2014.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 11:56

Firing Line to get rest of year off

Barbara D. Livingston
Firing Line, the runner-up in the Kentucky Derby, finishes seventh of eight in the Preakness on Saturday.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Kentucky Derby runner-up Firing Line has an injury that will require him to take the rest of the year off, but the plan is to race him next year at age 4, trainer Simon Callaghan said Wednesday at Santa Anita.

Although Callaghan declined to specify the nature of the injury, he said Firing Line will not require surgery and will be turned out at a farm. He suggested that Firing Line was injured in his last race, the Preakness Stakes on May 16 at Pimlico, when he stumbled at the start.