Tue, 07/14/2015 - 15:41

Beyers don't tell full American Derby Story

Four-Footed Fotos
World Approval, right, won the Arlington Derby with an 86 Beyer.

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. – On turf, especially, Beyer Speed Figures sometimes can understate how well a horse has run. The Beyers are based on final time, and when a grass race like the American Derby here this past Saturday unfolds at a crawl, it’s just not possible to run fast, even with a Beyer Figure accounting for the relative speed of the course.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 15:21

Evangeline: Patin brothers remain suspended

Two jockeys in Louisiana will remain suspended indefinitely until the state’s racing commission and local police finish investigating the circumstances surrounding a race run on June 19 at Evangeline Downs, state officials said recently.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 14:41

Owner McEwen and his horse make their own comebacks

ELMONT, N.Y. – Owner Chip McEwen and his horse Uncle Sigh are both on the comeback trail. For McEwen, the road back has many miles to go before it’s complete.

On April 23, McEwen suffered from cardiac arrest and initially doctors gave him a 1 percent chance of survival, according to his girlfriend, Lynne Langermann. Even after McEwen started to defy those odds, doctors said that if McEwen did survive “he would have no quality of life,” Langermann said.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 14:26

Scarly Charly tops Belmont allowance field

ELMONT, N.Y. – A bit ambitiously placed at times, Scarly Charly looks well spotted to win a race Thursday when he heads a field of five entered in an $85,000 third-level allowance race at Belmont Park.

Scarly Charly, trained by Mike Hushion, is coming off a 1 1/4-length loss to the Todd Pletcher-trained Catron in a similar spot on June 18. In that race, Catron, making his first start in 13 months, received a perfect trip and won for the fourth time in six career starts.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 13:41

Force the Pass likely for Secretariat

Force the Pass, winner of the $1.25 million Belmont Derby, will likely make his next start in the Grade 1 Secretariat at Arlington Park on Aug. 15, according to trainer Alan Goldberg.

“I think we’ll probably go to the Secretariat and then the Hill Prince and keep him with 3-year-olds,” Goldberg said. “He came back great from his last race. He’s a happy horse.”

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 13:39

Trainer Goldberg gets 15-day suspension

Trainer Alan Goldberg began serving a 15-day suspension Monday after test results showed Pool Winner, whom he trains, was over the permitted threshold level for phenylbutazone when she won the 11th race at Monmouth Park on June 13.

The purse of the race was redistributed, and Goldberg was fined $500. The suspension is a result of Pool Winner having six times as much bute in her system than is permitted.

Goldberg explained that the overage was due to a stable error.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 13:36

De Paz enjoying life as new Sagamore Farm trainer

Horacio De Paz has the best of both worlds in his new position as trainer for historic Sagamore Farm in Reisterstown, Md. He gets to train some of Sagamore’s horses and also break and develop the farm’s young stock. Sagamore also has horses with trainers Graham Motion and Joe Orseno.

De Paz, 30, has been at Sagamore since 2011. He took over as trainer when Ignacio Correas IV left in March to open a public stable in Kentucky.

Tue, 07/14/2015 - 13:00

Ness stable rebounds from year ago

Tom Keyser
Jamie Ness has already won 122 races in 2015.

In 2014, trainer Jamie Ness won 167 races, 12th best in North America but his lowest total since 2008.

This year, Ness has already won 122 races, and has been the leading trainer at Tampa Bay Downs and Pimlico. He is currently second in the standings at Delaware Park, third at Monmouth Park, tied for fourth at Presque Isle, and is active at the recently opened Laurel Park meet.

Mon, 07/13/2015 - 17:25

Main Sequence retired due to tendon injury

Barbara D. Livingston
Main Sequence, last year's turf champion, comes into the Grade 1 United Nations off a seventh-place finish in the Dubai Sheema Classic.

Main Sequence, the champion turf horse and older male of 2014, was retired Monday with a tendon injury following his seventh-place finish in the July 5 United Nations Stakes.

Main Sequence, a 6-year-old gelding, has a 15 percent tear in the middle of his tendon, according to trainer Graham Motion, and the decision was made not to try to bring him back to the races. He was bred and is owned by the Flaxman Holdings of the Niarchos family.

Mon, 07/13/2015 - 14:36

Lady Eli's racing future uncertain due to laminitis

Barbara D. Livingston
The unbeaten 3-year-old filly Lady Eli earned a 98 Beyer Speed Figure for her win in the Belmont Oaks.

ELMONT, N.Y. – The racing career of the undefeated 3-year-old filly Lady Eli is uncertain after her connections announced Monday that she has developed laminitis in her front feet.

Trainer Chad Brown said Monday that Lady Eli stepped on a nail while walking back from the test barn to her own barn at Belmont Park following her victory in the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Oaks on July 4, injuring her left front foot.