04/04/2012 4:08PM

Kentucky Derby: Baffert back to work with three for Santa Anita Derby

Benoit & Associates
Liaison, winner of the CashCall Futurity, will be joined by Paynter and Blueskiesnrainbows as Bob Baffert trainees in the Santa Anita Derby.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Nine days removed from having a heart attack, and fewer than 24 hours after arriving back in California from Dubai, trainer Bob Baffert strolled into Santa Anita on Wednesday morning, his humor still intact.

“Back to work,” he said. “I feel like a hundred bucks.”

It was a whirlwind morning for Baffert, who was moving slowly and had a noticeable limp, still sore from the site where the medical procedure commenced in Dubai. This was the first time Baffert had seen his locally based horses in 11 days, and he had some catching up to do with them, including working horses like Secret Circle for next week’s Arkansas Derby, in which Bodemeister will also compete.

Baffert also was making final preparations for Saturday’s Grade 1, $750,000 Santa Anita Derby, in which he entered three horses on Wednesday morning, including Liaison, the winner of the CashCall Futurity.

[DERBY WATCH: Top 20 contenders | Who's hot, who's not]

And Baffert was the center of attention, more so than usual, with numerous trainers and jockey agents lining up to say hello and welcome him back in between phone calls and text messages.

“I’ve heard from some people I haven’t heard from in 20 or 30 years,” he said.

It all proved fairly exhausting. After training his horses, Baffert headed home to rest, sensibly choosing that over extending the morning to attend the draw for the Santa Anita Derby.

A field of 10 was entered in the 1 1/8-mile Santa Anita Derby, which will go as the sixth race on an 11-race card that begins at noon Pacific on Saturday. Creative Cause, the winner of the San Felipe Stakes in his last start, drew the rail and was installed as the 6-5 favorite by Jon White, the morning-line maker at Santa Anita. Liaison is in post 2, then come, in order, Holy Candy, I’ll Have Another, Longview Drive, Paynter, Senor Rain, Midnight Transfer, Blueskiesnrainbows, and Brother Francis.

[SANTA ANITA DERBY: Early look video, news updates, watch the race live]

The Santa Anita Derby, California’s major prep for the May 5 Kentucky Derby, has been dominated by Baffert. He has won the race a record six times, including last year with Midnight Interlude, who, like Liaison, is owned by Arnold Zetcher.

“I’m so happy Bob was out this morning,” said Zetcher, who gave Baffert a hug when he saw him on the track apron Wednesday morning. “It’s very moving to have him back.”

In addition to Liaison, Baffert also entered Paynter, a winner going 5 1/2 furlongs in his lone start on Feb. 18, and Blueskiesnrainbows, who was a distant third to subsequently sidelined stablemate Fed Biz in a first-level allowance on Feb. 9.

Baffert said he is “still a little bit on shock” over the heart attack.

“I thought I was invincible,” he said. “I looked through my family history, top and bottom, and no one’s had a heart attack. But I had high cholesterol, horrible eating habits. I knocked off two porterhouses at the Arroyo Chop House before I left. I’m one of those who would eat all the fat. The doctor told me I could have meat maybe every 15 days. I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’

“But I feel like I got a second chance. I’d have five Diet Cokes a day. I’d have three or four cups of coffee. Today I just had one. I’d eat BLT’s. And there’s a lot of stress in this job.”

Though Baffert has an easygoing public persona, make no mistake he is deeply competitive. He said his wife, Jill, had been trying to get him to relax long before the heart attack.

“She’s always telling me, ‘You’ve got to take it easy. You’re not curing cancer,’ ” Baffert said. “I just need to deal with it now. Like Jill said, ‘God took me to the woodshed.’ I’ve got to get back into shape. It was a good warning.”

Baffert’s fate could have been far worse. He said had Jill and their son, Bode, not traveled with him to Dubai, he might not have heeded the increasingly gloomy warning signs.

“I thought I was just tired,” Baffert said. “It must have been coming on. I had been complaining that my legs were getting numb when I was on the couch at home. Over there, if Jill’s not there, I don’t go in. It felt like a pressing feeling. Jill got on the computer. She asked if I had pain in my left arm. I did. Then she asked if I felt like I was going to throw up. I didn’t. And then all of a sudden, I got the urge to throw up.”

There was no more time to waste. Baffert now realized he was in trouble. While being transported to the hospital, he said he thought he was gone.

“If it was exchange wagering, I’d have bet against myself,” he said.

When Baffert was taken away, he said Bode called out to him, “You’ll be all right daddy, Bye-bye.”

“He was so cute that night, but that made me feel worse,” Baffert said. “I thought I wasn’t going to see him again.

“Once that doctor walked in with his Armani suit, I said, ‘I’ve got a shot,’ ” Baffert said. “He was the best-dressed doctor ever.”

Being back home was a tonic for Baffert. He said while driving to the track Wednesday morning, he phoned his brother, Bill.

“I told him it felt good to be out in the nice, fresh air,” Baffert said, looking up at the San Gabriel Mountains. “If I’m gonna drop, I want to drop here, at Santa Anita.”

The Santa Anita Derby will be shown live on NBC, beginning at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time, during a 90-minute telecast that also includes the Grade 1, $1 million Wood Memorial from Aqueduct.

Eight were entered in the Wood, including Derby Watch members Alpha, Gemologist, and My Adonis.

Also Saturday is the Grade 3, $500,000 Illinois Derby. Seventeen were entered, including three also-eligibles. Currency Swap and Our Entourage are the marquee names there.

Tina Hines More than 1 year ago
Bobby, I am now teaching 2 and 3 year-olds in preschool, so I have just two words for you "Chill Chair". And don't get up until you can say you are really feeling okay. Love you. Tina
Bobs speach when he was inducted in the Hall of Fame a couple of years ago was great. " you can get here two different ways. You can be extreamly good and work very very hard or just be lucky and your LOOKING AT LUCKY" He spoke that before Pegram's horse was on the scene. He knew that horse was coming and how cool was it to say that.
Babette Cade More than 1 year ago
Thank God Bob is still here. And, since I have not seen anyone yet thank Jill in print, a big thanks to her. If not for her intervention and insistence, the story would be different. Bob is a better man for choosing her. Best of luck to both of them.
Stargazer46 More than 1 year ago
We visited Santa Anita for the umpteeth time from Texas, but this particular Friday we decided to go early to Clocker's Corner just so we can say we had been. My friend pointed to Bob as soon as we got our coffee. He was standing at the rail talking to another trainer (Paddy Gallagher). We went inside and I said, "I am gonna sneak back and take a picture of Bob." Well he and Paddy were just standing there at a table and so I just walked up and asked, "Would it be okay if I take your picture with the track and mountains in the background, Mr. Baffert?" He grinned and said, "don't you want to be in the picture?" I said with the blood rsuhing to my head, "Oh I'd LOVE to be in the picture." So I handed my camera to Paddy and he took two shots of us." THEN, I asked if I could get a picture of the 2 of them and Paddy said, "Oh you don't even know who I am." I laughed and said, "well most everyone calls you Paddy." Bafftert said, "get over here, she knows who you are." Pictures are treasures, and those are two of my favorites. When I went back inside my friend said, "well was he nice to you?" LOL I said oh you won't beleive how nice he was! He's just as real in person as he seems to be on TV. What you see is what you get. Thank you for that wonderful memory Bob. AND for being such a GREAT ambassador for our sport.
Donald Crook More than 1 year ago
BB is certainly a terrific personality and it's great that he is on the rebound. I'll always remember his quip after his horses finished a half mile behind Ultimate Eagle, "They thought they ran one two." I can just picture the horses looking around wondering why they got silver and bronze.
Dale Thirtyacre More than 1 year ago
bob,good to see you back.i always wanted to go to dubai,my health is not good so i better stay here in detroit.dale
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
Baffert is like a one man show to horse racing & THE recognizable figure to those with a passive interest in the sport. Maybe now he will become a spokesperson for better nutrition & getting 8 hours of sleep. That, in turn, would help the sport because of Baffert's engaging personality & the personal storyline. Horse racing can use all the help it can get & repetition of the facts & subsequent surgery can only help Baffert stay on track in his newly acquired goal to stay fit & ultimately be healthy.
Jack More than 1 year ago
Gee Bob tells us which Horse you'll be telling your BUNCH of Crony's to use in the pick-six SAT... A Trainer with MORE than ONE Horse should GO coupled PERIOD. And take your HEALTH very SERIOUSLY, You've had YOUR share of PRIME RIBS Bobby Boy...
Jalapeno More than 1 year ago
Bob I had three sents put in 2004. I have taken meds every since. I had best report since this month. Check out SYNERGY, PROARGI-9+ it is a dietary supplement . L-arginine complexer. Check it out with your cardioligst. I hope it will get me off my statin and BP meds. The meds work for me and this should be all I will need eventually. It is natural amino acid, for a long healthy life. Get back to me and my cardioligst an RN have the proprietary formulation.
Bob Baffert has been great for racing period