AUBURN, Wash. - Slewicide Cruise is likely to be out for the remainder of the year after suffering a strained suspensory ligament in a workout last Saturday at Emerald Downs, according to trainer Robbie Baze.
BALTIMORE - The speedy Maddalena showed a new dimension by coming from off the pace when she won the Legal Light Stakes last month at Delaware Park. But it wasn't by design.
"She didn't break very well, so that's just the way it unfolded," trainer Todd Pletcher said. "But it was nice to see her win from off the pace."
BALTIMORE - Nicole's Dream is based in Chicago, but trainer Larry Rivelli looks everywhere in the Midwest and East for appropriate spots for the swift mare. Five furlongs on turf is her specialty, and when Rivelli finds something fitting that narrow parameter, Nicole's Dream is there.
Two weeks ago, the 5-year-old mare shipped into Churchill Downs and made off with the Mamzelle Stakes. On Friday, she's on the road again, this time to Pimlico, where she will be the one to catch in the $75,000 The Very One Stakes.
BALTIMORE - Trainer Jimmy Jerkens is hoping to run Artie Schiller in the Breeders' Cup this fall at Belmont Park. Whether he points to the $1 million Mile or the $2 million Turf could be decided this weekend at Pimlico.
Jerkens has entered Artie Schiller in the $200,000 CompUSA Dixie Handicap, a 1 1/8-mile race in which he will face defending Breeders' Cup Turf winner Better Talk Now and four others. The Dixie, at 1 1/8 miles, is one of six stakes scheduled to be run on the Preakness undercard.
BALTIMORE - Golden Man, who failed to make it into the field for Saturday's Preakness Stakes, will most likely make his next start in the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont Park on May 28.
Golden Man could not crack the Preakness field because the race is limited to 14 starters and Golden Man ranked last of the 15 prospective entrants on the career earnings list, the last of three criteria used to determine the Preakness field. The connections of Golden Man would have had to pay a $100,000 supplemental fee because the gelding was not nominated to the Triple Crown.
ELMONT, N.Y. - The field for Friday's Home of the Free Stakes, a $60,000 overnight race restricted to 3-year-olds who have not won a stakes on turf, was in flux at entry time. Four of the nine entered for turf, including the probable first two betting choices, English Channel and Wallstreet Scandal, were cross-entered in the $100,000 Woodlawn Stakes on the Preakness undercard at Pimlico.
ALBANY, Calif. - Full Moon Madness is now 10 years old, but trainer Mark Glatt didn't consider it that big of a gamble when he outshook two other trainers to claim him for $16,000 at Santa Anita on April 30.
"You really have to pick through the horses a lot to find a good one in the $10,000-to-$25,000 claiming class in Southern California," he said.
But as he and others watched , they did not see a millionaire, or even a 10-year-old - just a good racehorse.
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Texas Racing Commission staff on Wednesday began discussing ways to refine testing procedures for alkalizing agents after some horses have tested positive for bicarbonates during the current program, which is being used solely to collect data. The informational testing program began April 30 at Lone Star Park.
Blood samples are drawn from every starter in two randomly selected races each card, but the specimens are not labeled. Changing that protocol, however, along with other aspects of the test, is now being discussed.