Wed, 06/11/2014 - 11:52

Delta Downs tweaks purses on Jackpot card

Delta Downs in Vinton, La., has restructured the purses of three of the eight stakes that will make up its annual Jackpot Day program on Nov. 22, the track announced Wednesday. The changes do not impact the card’s centerpiece, the Grade 3, $1 million Delta Downs Jackpot for 2-year-olds.

Tue, 06/10/2014 - 15:57

Kentucky Downs proposes new Jockey7 wager

LEXINGTON – The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Tuesday tabled a request by Kentucky Downs for approval of a novel multi-race wager based on the performance of jockeys’ mounts in the last seven races of the card.

The commission tabled the vote after several commissioners asked for additional time to consider the wager, which Kentucky Downs is hoping to offer on all six of its race cards this September. The commission is likely to vote on the bet at its meeting in July.

Tue, 06/10/2014 - 15:38

Keeneland: Three sponsored stakes get $100k increases

Keeneland announced Tuesday that a trio of stakes at its fall meet will receive $100,000 purse increases due to sponsorship agreements with three leading Kentucky breeding farms.

Claiborne will sponsor the Grade 1 Breeders’ Futurity, which will be worth $500,000 this year; Lane’s End will lend its name to the Grade 1 Queen Elizabeth Challenge Cup, which will be worth $500,000; and Dixiana will back the Grade 3 Bourbon, which will be $250,000.

Tue, 06/10/2014 - 14:33

Strong Preakness Day boosts Pimlico handle

Average daily all-sources wagering at Pimlico Race Course for the track’s spring meet was up 6.2 percent compared to last year’s spring meet, according to figures distributed by the track’s parent company on Tuesday.

The average rose from $4.10 million during a 36-day live meet last year to $4.36 million this year for 35 live race days, according to the figures. Total wagering was up 3.0 percent, from $153.9 million to $158.5 million.

Mon, 06/09/2014 - 09:16

Coburn apologizes for remarks following Belmont

Justin N. Lane
Steve Coburn, co-owner of California Chrome, hands out autographed memorabilia before the races on Belmont Stakes Day.

Steve Coburn, a co-owner of California Chrome, offered a sincere, emotional apology Monday for unsportsmanlike and insensitive statements he had made in the aftermath of California Chrome’s defeat in the Belmont Stakes on Saturday.

Appearing on the ABC program “Good Morning America” in New York with co-host Robin Roberts, Coburn said, “I need to apologize to the world. I sincerely apologize.”

Sun, 06/08/2014 - 14:02

McCarthy, Magee win titles at Pimlico

Jim McCue/Maryland Jockey Club
Trevor McCarthy (left) and Kieron Magee were the leading jockey and trainer at Pimlico's 35-day meet.

Jockey Trevor McCarthy and trainer Kieron Magee finished atop the standings at Pimlico’s 35-day meeting that ended Saturday.

McCarthy, 20, rode 43 winners, five more than Victor Carrasco. He lost his five-pound apprentice allowance during the meet.

“We rode a lot of nice horses and were very lucky to get off to a great start,” McCarthy said. “I was nervous because I know many bug riders drift off the scene rather quickly but some top trainers stood by me and it seemed to go well.”

Sun, 06/08/2014 - 13:47

Coburn remains bitter about California Chrome's defeat

Shigeki Kikkawa
Steve Coburn, co-owner of California Chrome, went on ABC's "Good Morning America" on Sunday and repeated comments that he felt it was unfair that a fresh horse like Tonalist was able to compete in the Belmont Stakes.

ELMONT, N.Y. – After coming off publicly as a fortunate, grateful man through the first two legs of the Triple Crown, Steve Coburn, a co-owner of California Chrome, came off as petty and ungrateful immediately following the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, calling the connections of the victorious Tonalist “cowards” for bypassing the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

 Given a night to sleep it off, Coburn doubled down on the invective on Sunday morning in a televised rant that tastelessly invoked children in wheelchairs.

Sun, 06/08/2014 - 13:39

Stewards may disqualify General a Rod for late arrival

Tom Keyser
New York stewards are investigating whether General a Rod arrived in the barn on time before the Belmont Stakes and whether the horse was accompanied at all times, as required by the rules.

ELMONT, N.Y. - The New York stewards are conducting an investigation into whether trainer Mike Maker brought General a Rod to the assembly barn in the proper time frame leading up to Saturday’s Belmont Stakes, according to Braulio Baeza, the steward for the New York Racing Association.

Sun, 06/08/2014 - 13:17

Belmont Stakes overnight ratings second highest ever

The overnight rating for the Belmont Stakes broadcast Saturday on NBC was a 12.9, the second-highest rating of all-time for the race, behind the 15.9 overnight rating posted for the 2004 race, when Smarty Jones was bidding for the Triple Crown, the network said on Sunday.

The broadcast, from 4:30 to 7:15 p.m. Eastern, had a 29 share, a measure of how many televisions in use were tuned to the broadcast, NBC said. The 2004 broadcast had a slightly higher share, at 31.

Sun, 06/08/2014 - 12:49

Court dismisses indictment against Penn National trainer Webb

A U.S. District Court judge has ordered that an indictment against a Pennsylvania trainer be dismissed, citing flaws in the government’s case alleging an intent to fix races.

The judge, William Caldwell of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, ordered the case dismissed on June 5 after the attorney for the trainer, Samuel Webb, argued that the federal government had not proved several central points in its case, which relied on alleged violations of the federal Interstate Wire Act.