Fri, 07/17/2015 - 15:11

Tollett looks to end stakes drought in Emerald Express

AUBURN, Wash. – While a $50,000 purse might seem like low-hanging fruit to anyone with a fast 2-year-old, only five horses were entered to compete in Sunday’s six-furlong Emerald Express for colts and geldings. For veteran trainer Bill Tollett, who will saddle likely favorite Gold Rush Dancer, it’s a prime opportunity to win an Emerald Downs stakes race for the first time in nearly a decade.

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 14:05

Aditya to stretch out in Stellar’s Jay

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Trainer Anita Bolton said Aditya came out of his sharp win in a $25,000 optional-claiming race last Sunday in good order and will make his next start in the $50,000 B.C. Cup Stellar’s Jay on B.C. Cup Day, Aug. 5. The Stellar’s Jay is one of six stakes races that will make up the bulk of the B.C. Cup Day card. Four of the races are restricted to horses bred in British Colombia, but the $100,000 Redekop Classic for 3-year-olds and up and the $75,000 Pegasus Distaff for fillies and mares are open to horses bred or owned in B.C.

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 13:46

Napravnik has no plans to return to riding

Barbara D. Livingston
Rosie Napravnik, who gave birth to her first child last month, isn't interested in launching a comeback as a jockey at this point in her life.

Rosie Napravnik said Friday from Saratoga that she is not considering a return to race-riding, although she does hope to start exercising horses soon as a means to becoming fit again.

“At this point, I don’t really think [a comeback] is realistic,” said Napravnik.

Napravnik and her husband, trainer Joe Sharp, became parents for the first time June 1 with the birth of their son, Carson. Napravnik, easily one of the top female jockeys in racing history, retired from a 10-year career last November after announcing she was pregnant.

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 11:51

Wise Dan has first breeze of 2015

Wise Dan, the two-time Horse of the Year, had his first breeze since recovering from an ankle injury when going a half-mile in 48.20 seconds Friday over a firm turf course at Keeneland in Lexington, Ky.

Trainer Charlie LoPresti said afterward he was extremely pleased with the progress the 8-year-old gelding has made since returning to regular training late last month.

“I was just looking to get started back with him and see where we are,” said LoPresti. “He did it well within himself, and he’s cooled out great.”

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 10:23

Former Florida trainer Azpurua dies at 82

Leo Azpurua Sr., a retired trainer and bloodstock agent whose greatest successes came through the breaking, training, or selling of young horses, died Wednesday in Gainesville, Fla. He was 82.

Born into a racing family in Venezuela, Azpurua was among the trainers on hand during the first year at Calder Race Course in 1971. His son, Leo Jr., began training in the mid-1970s and remains active in south Florida, as does his brother, Manny Azpurua.

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 10:18

Old Friends at Kentucky Downs opens

Old Friends at Kentucky Downs, a retirement facility and gift shop located adjacent to the Franklin, Ky., racetrack, opened Friday with five ex-racehorses on view.

The facility, a joint project between Old Friends and the racetrack, is offering daily tours and will sell merchandise benefiting the retirement efforts of Old Friends. The five retired horses who have been transferred to the facility from other Old Friends properties are Ball Four, Rumor Has It, Sgt. Bert, Thornfield, and Tour of the Cat.

Fri, 07/17/2015 - 00:36

Del Mar's opening day sees dip in attendance

Benoit & Associates
Del Mar's opening-day card drew 40,304 fans Thursday.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Thursday’s opening day of the Del Mar summer season had mixed business results, with attendance and ontrack handle lower than the corresponding day in 2014 but a gain in all-sources handle.

Opening day drew 40,304 spectators, a decline of 4.2 percent from the 2014 audience of 42,021. The opening-day attendance surpassed 40,000 for the 12th consecutive year.

“If you get over 40,000, I’m happy,” track president Joe Harper said after the races. “You’re a lot higher than most tracks. I’m happy with it.”

Thu, 07/16/2015 - 15:36

Glenard seeks first U.S. stakes win in Warrior Veterans

Barbara D. Livingston
Glenard will go for his first U.S. stakes win in the Warrior Veterans Stakes.

His on-again, off-again race pattern says no, but everything else about Glenard says go – as in go to the windows when he starts Saturday in the $100,000 Warrior Veterans on the Indiana Derby undercard at Indiana Grand.

Thu, 07/16/2015 - 14:44

Congressmen introduce federal oversight bill

A federal bill that would give the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency the authority to administer and oversee Thoroughbred racing’s medication policies and drug-testing programs was introduced Thursday to the U.S. House of Representatives, the legislation’s sponsors announced.

Thu, 07/16/2015 - 14:31

Taken by the Storm adds blinkers for Hanshin Cup

Four-Footed Fotos
Hogy won the 2013 Hanshin, but finished just 12th last year.

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. – Hogy looked tremendous in winning his allowance prep for the Hanshin Cup last summer at Arlington, but in the Hanshin itself, he was dreadful, finishing 12th of 13 at odds of 13-10. In 2013, Hogy had finished sixth in the Shakertown, a Keeneland turf sprint, came into the Hanshin an 8-1 shot, and won it by 1 1/2 lengths.