NBC Sports has reached an agreement with the owner of Pimlico Race Course in Maryland that will keep the Preakness Stakes on NBC through at least the next five years, according to the network and racing officials.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Ogden Mills “Dinny” Phipps, who resigned as Jockey Club chairman after 32 years in the position Saturday, was awarded with the Jockey Club Medal at the conclusion of the organization’s Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing on Sunday.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – The Jockey Club will require every foal born in 2017 to be implanted with a microchip for the purposes of identification, the organization said Sunday at its Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – A succession of speakers at the Jockey Club’s Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing on Sunday attempted to make the case that the industry should collectively rally behind the organization’s effort to pass federal legislation that would install the United States Anti-Doping Agency as the sport’s drug czar.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Moreno, winner of the Grade 1 Whitney Stakes in 2014 and the Grade 2 Charles Town Classic this year – both $1.5 million races – has been retired from racing, trainer Eric Guillot said Sunday.
The decision was after Moreno finished eighth of nine in Saturday’s Grade 1, $1.25 million Whitney Stakes at Saratoga. Guillot said Moreno just had general “wear and tear, and he can no longer compete at the higher level.”
DEL MAR, Calif. – Gabriel Charles, the winner of the Grade 1 Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar on July 18, underwent an emergency operation for colic at a San Diego County veterinary clinic on Saturday, trainer Jeff Mullins said.
Mullins said late Saturday afternoon that the operation was a success but cautioned that the next few days are vital in the recovery of Gabriel Charles.
“It wasn’t too extreme,” Mullins said of the surgery. “It’s the complications after surgery that can be the most important thing. The next 36 hours are the most crucial.”
The New York Attorney General has asked a federal court to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the trainer Bill Mott, arguing that Mott can resolve his case through state courts and administrative proceedings without federal interference.
Jockey Casey Lambert is nearing retirement. The winner of more than 3,000 races plans to call it a career following the close of the Ruidoso Downs meet Sept. 7, the New Mexico track announced Friday. Lambert will turn 50 on Aug. 24.
Lambert has ridden races for nearly 35 years. His first win came Aug. 29, 1981, at Ruidoso Downs. Since then, Lambert has compiled 3,049 wins from 24,398 starts, according to Daily Racing Form statistics. His mounts have earned more than $39 million. Lambert ranks second in the Thoroughbred standings at the mixed meet at Ruidoso.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – It’s fitting that the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame is located a stone’s throw from Saratoga Race Course, but it’s especially fitting this year. Owners and breeders John Hay Whitney and Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, contemporaries who made extraordinary contributions to the sport for more than half a century and whose family names are fixtures on the New York calendar, were enshrined in the Hall of Fame’s Pillars of the Turf category at Friday’s annual induction ceremony.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – If this training thing doesn’t work out for King T. Leatherbury, maybe stand-up comedy will.
Leatherbury, 82, a winner of more than 6,400 U.S. races, the fourth-most all time, was inducted Friday into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame, and between two rousing standing ovations, he delivered a 10-minute string of jokes that had the audience roaring. Typically for the trainer, most were self-deprecating, and atypically for a man who has spent his entire life at or near a racetrack, hardly any of them had anything to do with racing.