Thu, 01/19/2017 - 14:06

Chrome seeks rare Eclipse double

Barbara D. Livingston
California Chrome could win his second Horse of Year award, becoming only the second horse to do so in nonconsecutive years.

Since the Eclipse Awards began in 1971, just one horse – John Henry – has been named Horse of the Year in nonconsecutive years, a feat California Chrome could equal on Saturday night when the 46th annual Eclipse Awards dinner is held at Gulfstream Park.

California Chrome was named Horse of the Year in 2014. After a 2015 campaign cut short by injury and squabbles among his original owners, he rebounded in 2016 with a nearly flawless campaign highlighted by victories in the Dubai World Cup and Pacific Classic, his lone loss coming in the Breeders’ Cup Classic against Arrogate.

Thu, 01/19/2017 - 13:50

Dennis Moore takes over Del Mar track maintenance job

ARCADIA, Calif. – Dennis Moore, the track superintendent at Santa Anita, has been named the director of track maintenance at Del Mar, the track announced on Thursday.

Moore, 67, is also a consultant on track maintenance at Los Alamitos. Thursday’s announcement means Moore will oversee the condition of all three dirt tracks in Southern California.

“We’ll try to keep the same maintenance on all three tracks,” Moore said Thursday.

Wed, 01/18/2017 - 16:26

New protocols could hasten end of EHV-1 quarantine

NEW ORLEANS – The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry on Thursday announced key changes to the protocol governing the equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) outbreak at Fair Grounds that should expedite the end of quarantines placed on six barns and help restore normalcy to the race meet here.

Provided no more EHV-1 cases are reported at the track, the state quarantine of Fair Grounds that began Jan. 12 will be lifted Jan. 21 for the 42 barns in which horses have not tested positive for the virus.

Mon, 01/16/2017 - 15:06

No new positives or movement on quarantine at Fair Grounds

NEW ORLEANS – There were no new cases of the equine herpesvirus reported over the weekend at Fair Grounds, but the track and Louisiana state officials still were grappling with the logistics of managing the viral outbreak here.

Thirty horses who tested positive last week for the virus, known as EHV-1, still were stabled in their regular stalls as of Sunday, although the protocol put in place by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry for managing the disease event at Fair Grounds requires horses who test positive to be isolated.

Mon, 01/16/2017 - 14:34

Most of Sunday card canceled due to electrical malfunction

Los Alamitos canceled the final six races on Sunday’s eight-race program after an electrical malfunction caused a failure of the backstretch lighting system, track officials announced.

The first two races were run, but the remaining six races for lower-level Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses, including a minor stakes for Quarter Horses at 550 yards, were scrapped.

Thu, 01/12/2017 - 13:30

Rain washes out Thursday's program

ARCADIA, Calif. – A week of persistent rain, and the expectation of more wet weather, led Santa Anita officials to cancel an eight-race program on Thursday.

The decision was made before 9 a.m. Pacific as the Southern California area was hit with a strong rainstorm. Track senior vice president Joe Morris said “local weather conditions” were the primary reason for canceling.

Morris said Santa Anita has sustained seven inches of rain in the last “eight or nine days.”

“We’re getting another inch this afternoon,” he said.

Thu, 01/12/2017 - 10:40

Baze elected to Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame

Barbara D. Livingston
Jockey Russell Baze, 57, was to announce his retirement from riding Tuesday.

Russell Baze, the winningest jockey in horse-racing history, will enter another Hall of Fame in April when he is enshrined in the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in San Francisco.

Baze, 58, retired from racing last June with 12,842 victories.

Baze has been inducted into both the U.S. and Canadian racing halls of fame. He was awarded a special Eclipse Award in 1995 after winning 400 races for the fourth straight year. He also was honored with Santa Anita's George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award as voted on by fellow jockeys.

Wed, 01/11/2017 - 15:30

Three more horses test positive for EHV-1

The equine herpesvirus outbreak at Fair Grounds widened Tuesday, with three more horses testing positive, and a new, more rigorous testing protocol that could extend the quarantine of the New Orleans track during the height of its racing season.

Wed, 01/11/2017 - 12:36

Rouk, well-known figure at Keeneland auctions, dies at 79

Dale Stewart Rouk, a member of the Keeneland sales team for more than 40 years until his retirement in 2009, died Jan. 1 in Burleson, Texas. He was 79.

Rouk was a well-known fixture at Thoroughbred and American Quarter Horse auctions across the U.S. during his career. While working at The Quarter Horse Journal in Amarillo, Texas, Rouk met prominent auctioneer and former Keeneland director of auctions Tom Caldwell, and later became partners in the California-based Caldwell-Heerman Sales Company.

Sun, 01/08/2017 - 20:16

Santa Anita: Single ticket carryover of $137,529 for Thursday's pick six

ARCADIA, Calif .- The $2 pick six paid $5,567 to 24 ticketholders at Santa Anita on Sunday.

Because there were multiple winning tickets sold, the carryover provision in the single ticket jackpot pool increased to $137,529 for Thursday’s program.

There was no carryover in the main pick six pool going into Sunday’s program. There was a carryover of $108,893 in the single ticket pool for Sunday.

The winners of Sunday’s pick six races were Mr. Hinx ($22.20), Brandothebartender ($7), Avicii ($6.20), Moe Candy ($7.20), Unique Bella ($4), and Jet Set Man ($5.20).