INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Papa Clem, the winner of the Grade 2 Arkansas Derby and fourth in the Kentucky Derby earlier this year, will return from a layoff of nearly four months in the $300,000 Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita on Dec. 26, trainer Gary Stute said.\nPapa Clem has not started since finishing seventh in the Del Mar Derby on Sept. 6. Owned by Bo Hirsch, Papa Clem was given a break away from the racetrack in late summer and early fall before returning to training. He had four workouts in November, including five furlongs in 59.80 seconds last Sunday.\n"It was the first time I let him run a little," Stute said.\nPapa Clem has 2 wins in 11 starts and earnings of $995,190. After the Kentucky Derby, he made four more starts, including a sixth in the Preakness Stakes and a fourth in the Haskell Invitational.\nStute is hoping that Papa Clem will thrive after the layoff.\n"I hope so," he said. "I'd like to think I didn't do it for nothing."\nThe Malibu Stakes is the first race of the three-leg Strub series for 4-year-olds of 2010, which continues with the $150,000 San Fernando Stakes over 1 1/16 miles on Jan. 16 and the $200,000 Strub Stakes over 1 1/8 miles on Feb. 6.\nWho's Up will bypass Futurity\nWho's Up, the winner of the Grade 3 Generous Stakes on Nov. 29, will skip the $750,000 CashCall Futurity on Dec. 19 in favor of an undetermined stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita in early 2010.\nTrainer Kathy Walsh said that the CashCall Futurity "is too much to ask of a young horse."\nOwned by Mickey Gonzalez, Who's Up won his first stakes in the Grade 3 Generous Stakes over a mile on turf, and has won 2 of 4 starts, with both wins on turf. Walsh said she will not hesitate to try Who's Up on a synthetic main track.\n"He trains on it and acts like he can handle it," she said.\nThe early season options at Santa Anita include the $100,000 San Rafael Stakes over a mile on Jan. 16, the $150,000 Robert Lewis Stakes over 1 1/16 miles on Feb. 6 and the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes over seven furlongs on Feb. 15.\nGrade 1 too ambitious for St Trinians\nSt Trinians is bound for a stakes at Santa Anita after an easy seven-length win in an allowance race at Hollywood Park on Thursday.\nRidden by Joel Rosario, the 4-year-old St Trinians pulled clear from four rivals in the final furlong, finishing 7 1/2 furlongs in 1:28.79. She earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 89.\nTrainer Mike Mitchell said he was reluctant to point St Trinians to the $250,000 Santa Monica Handicap, a Grade 1 over seven furlongs on Jan. 31, and would seek an easier spot.\n"I don't know if I'm ready to run against those," he said. "I'd like to stay away from Grade 1's right now. I really want to keep her on the synthetic if I can. The most important thing is to make her a stakes winner."\nEvening Jewel will test males\nIdeally, Evening Jewel, the 2-year-old filly trained by Jim Cassidy, would make her first start against winners against fillies. But when the opportunity arose to start the recent maiden race winner in an allowance race for statebreds against males on Sunday, Cassidy decided to enter Evening Jewel.\n"I thought, Why not?" Cassidy said. "As a 2-year-old, I don't know if she'll know the difference."\nEvening Jewel won her third start in a maiden race for statebreds at Santa Anita on Nov. 8. She overcame a slow start and traffic on the turn to win the 6 1/2-furlong race by a half-length.\nCassidy considers Sunday's 6 1/2 -furlong third race as a prep to the $100,000 California Breeders' Champion Stakes for statebred fillies over 1 1/16 miles at Santa Anita on Dec. 27.\nSunday's third race drew a field of six 2-year-old statebreds. Evening Jewel is the only filly in the field. Two runners trained by Steve Knapp have stakes experience - Killer Bear was fourth in the I'm Smokin Stakes at Del Mar on Sept. 7, while Tribal Face has run in three stakes, including a third in the I'm Smokin.\nCaracortado is likely to be favored. He won a starter allowance over six furlongs at Hollywood on Nov. 14 by 1 3/4 lengths, earning a Beyer Speed Figure of 94.\nFour jockeys get suspensions\nJockeys Christian Santiago Reyes and Alonso Quinonez will serve suspensions this month for riding infractions earlier this year, while jockeys Martin Garcia and Garrett Gomez have been given suspensions for recent riding infractions, according to rulings issued by Hollywood Park stewards.\nReyes, the circuit's leading apprentice, will miss eight days of racing - Sunday through Dec. 18. He recently withdrew an appeal of a three-day penalty issued at the Los Angeles County Fair at Fairplex, and lost an appeal of a five-day suspension issued at Del Mar.\nQuinonez withdraw an appeal of a five-day suspension issued at Del Mar, and will serve those days Dec. 13 and Dec. 17-20, the final five days of racing at the current Hollywood Park meeting.\nGomez and Garcia have been suspended three days each from Wednesday through Friday. Gomez was cited for failing to maintain a straight course on Stoneside in the seventh race on Nov. 29. Stoneside was disqualified from second to third.\nGarcia was cited for crossing over without clearance on Professnl Courtesy in the second race on Nov. 29. There was no disqualification in that race.\n* Trainers Don Chatlos and Shawn Talbot have been suspended for violations of financial responsibility, according to rulings issued by stewards Scott Chaney, Tom Ward and Randy Winick. Talbot had a small stable in Southern California until September and currently races in Arizona. Chatlos, best known for winning the 2004 Breeders' Cup Mile with Singletary, has not had a starter in his name since November 2008.