DEL MAR, Calif. - The career path of the 3-year-old colt Misremembered has soared this summer, highlighted by a victory in the Grade 2 Swaps Stakes at Hollywood Park last month.\nNow trainer Bob Baffert is preparing Misremembered for an even tougher test, the $1 million Pacific Classic against older horses at Del Mar on Sept. 6. Friday at Del Mar, Misremembered worked seven furlongs in 1:23.60, the only horse to have a recorded work at the distance.\n"He's just getting good," Baffert said. "He worked really nice."\nOwned by Baffert and George Jacobs, Misremembered has won 3 of 5 starts and $259,200. Baffert said he is also considering keeping Misremembered against 3-year-olds in the $750,000 Super Derby at Louisiana Downs on Sept. 19, but his language and enthusiasm over Friday's workout suggests that Misremembered is staying in Southern California.\n"I'm between running here and the Super Derby, here and the Super Derby," Baffert said. "He worked really good here."\nMisremembered is the only 3-year-old expected to start in the Pacific Classic, which is run at 1 1/4 miles on the main track and is the richest race of the meeting.\nThe list of probable starters is led by Rail Trip, the winner of the Hollywood Gold Cup last month, and Einstein, who won the Santa Anita Handicap in March.\nOther contenders are Awesome Gem, Colonel John, Global Hunter, Informed, Mast Track, Parading, Song of Navarone, and Tres Borrachos.\nCost of Freedom ruled sound\nCost of Freedom, who was scratched from the Breeders' Cup Sprint last October after he was ruled to be unsound in a prerace inspection, cleared the official veterinarian's list in California after a recent workout and is being prepared for a late summer and fall campaign.\nA 6-year-old gelding, Cost of Freedom could start in the $85,000 Pirate's Bounty Stakes at six furlongs on Sept. 9, closing day of this meeting.\nCost of Freedom has not started since winning the Grade 1 Ancient Title Stakes at Santa Anita last fall. On the morning of the Breeders' Cup, he was withdrawn after veterinarians ruled that he was unsound. He was placed on an official list of unsound horses, and failed another inspection, before the Vernon Underwood Stakes at Hollywood Park in November.\nLast January, he was taken out of training a week before the Sunshine Millions Sprint at Santa Anita and was sent to Kentucky, where he underwent a variety of treatments, including sessions in a hyperbaric chamber, according to owner Gary Barber.\nBarber said that Cost of Freedom did not need surgery during his time off.\n"We couldn't find anything," he said. "They said they wanted to give him four months off. I said, 'Add another two.' He's too valuable."\nCost of Freedom was removed from the vet's list after working five furlongs in 57.60 seconds on Aug. 21, passing a visual pre-work and post-work inspection by track veterinarian Jill Bailey as well as a drug test at a state lab.\nFriday, Cost of Freedom worked six furlongs in 1:12.80 under jockey Joe Talamo, which equaled the third-fastest of 14 recorded works at the distance.\n"It's a good feeling" to have him back, trainer John Sadler said.\nBarber and Sadler are hoping to start Cost of Freedom in the $300,000 Ancient Title Stakes at Santa Anita on Oct. 11 and the $2 million Breeders' Cup Sprint at Santa Anita on Nov. 7.\nSterling Outlook works for futurity\nSterling Outlook, the sharp winner of a six-furlong maiden race on Aug. 1, worked six furlongs in 1:11.60 on Friday, and will be trainer Peter Miller's only starter in the $300,000 Del Mar Futurity on Sept. 7.\nMiller timed Sterling Outlook in 1:11.40.\n"We couldn't pull him up until the half-mile pole," he said.\nSterling Outlook is owned by Jay Em Ess Stable.\nMiller said that Joyful Success, who worked six furlongs in 1:13.20 on Friday, will skip the futurity and be considered for an allowance race. Joyful Success won a maiden race at 5 1/2 furlongs on Aug. 8.\nThe Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity, run at seven furlongs, is led by Lookin at Lucky, the winner of the Grade 2 Best Pal Stakes on Aug. 9.\nSidney's Candy, who set a track record of 1:02.71 for 5 1/2 furlongs on Aug. 22, is another probable starter, along with Hurricane Ike, Lions Story, Make Music for Me, Marcello, and Smiling Tiger.\nSanta Anita project continues\nThe renovation of Santa Anita's main track will not be completed until Monday at the earliest, according to track president Ron Charles.\nThe project, which is adding polymer and binder to the Pro-Ride brand synthetic surface, was expected to be finished by Friday.\n"I think they'll be back on the track on Tuesday," Charles said.\nThe project is expected to add vibrancy to the surface, Charles said. The track hosts the Breeders' Cup races on Nov. 6-7.