HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – With five seconds in his last six starts, Horsepower has been a source of both pride and frustration for trainer Joe Orseno since he decided to stretch out his hard-knocking turf specialist around two turns last fall. Horsepower will attempt to finally get over the hump and back into the winner’s circle for the first time in nearly 11 months when he goes postward among the favorites in Saturday’s $100,000 Mr. Steele at Gulfstream Park. The 1 1/16-mile turf stakes shares top billing on the 11-race program with its filly counterpart, the $100,000 Monroe. Horsepower’s run of “seconditis” began in the Grade 3 Vigil Stakes over the synthetic surface at Woodbine late last summer and includes runner-up finishes in the Prairie Bayou behind the odds-on Encino last December at Turfway Park and more recently the Henry Clark on April 18 at Laurel Park when he was beaten a neck by the red-hot 6-5 favorite Cruise the Nile after taking the lead between calls in late stretch. “I really thought he had the race won in Maryland, and obviously it was a pretty good horse that beat him,” Orseno said. “We took our time trying to get him to stretch out, and he’s handled that next step well, only to have taken some really tough beats along the way. But all signs indicate he’s continuing to get better around two turns and he’s ready to have a really good year.” :: Get Preakness Betting Strategies for exclusive wagering insights, contender analysis, and more Orseno has used seven different riders in the last seven starts for the well-traveled Horsepower but will finally get a little consistency with Edwin Gonzalez, who rode him in the Henry Clark and is back aboard Saturday. “If he has one flaw it’s that he’s a little lazy changing leads. But Edwin was ready for that and he changed on cue last time, and I think it’s an advantage having him back aboard for this race as well,” Orseno advised. Horsepower could vie for favoritism in the Mr. Steele with Gran Oriente, a Group 1 winner in his native Chile who has joined the barn of leading trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. since upsetting a conditioned allowance/optional-claiming race at Santa Anita at 30-1 on April 3. Other key contenders include multiple stakes winner Tank off a wire-to-wire victory in the FHBPA Turf Stakes for Florida-breds here three weeks earlier and the multiple Grade 3 winner Missed the Cut, who exits an optional-claiming and allowance win over this course April 24. Monroe Stakes Joseph has entered five of the nine prospective starters for the Monroe. The group is led by Silver Moonlight, who ran off three straight victories at distances ranging from a mile to 1 1/16 miles to close her 2025 campaign and was graded stakes-placed when finishing a close third in the Grade 3 Honey Fox to launch her 2026 season on Feb. 28. Silver Moonlight will be trying to rebound from a bit of a disappointing effort when finishing a tiring seventh after contesting a heated pace in the Sand Springs Stakes in her most recent start seven weeks ago. Joseph advised Wednesday that Silver Moonlight also was under consideration for the $200,000 Ouija Board Distaff on May 25 at Lone Star, with her status for the Monroe not likely to be decided until later in the week. :: Get ready for Preakness with DRF past performances, picks, and betting strategies! If she goes, Silver Moonlight will be joined in the starting gate by stablemates Little Jamie, Public Defender, Turino, and Make the Boys Wink. Of that quartet, Little Jamie could prove the most dangerous. Another new addition to the barn, she was a stakes winner at Tampa Bay Downs a year ago and multiple graded stakes-placed earlier in her career. Joseph said all four of his fillies and mares, aside from Silver Moonlight, were expected to start in the Monroe. The remainder of the field includes Fantasy Performer, Minty, Miss Mary Nell, and Flowers for Me. :: Want to learn more about handicapping and wagering? Check out DRF's Handicapping 101 and Wagering 101 pages.