08/21/2012 4:59PM

Saratoga: Paynter will be passing through

Nikki Sherman Photography
Paynter, with Rafael Bejarano riding, wins the Haskell Invitational.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Paynter, the Haskell winner, is coming to Saratoga after all and will be here for the Travers.

But will not be participating.

Paynter, who missed about two weeks of training because of illness, was scheduled to van from Belmont to Saratoga on Wednesday. He will train here through the weekend before flying back to Southern California on Monday, trainer Bob Baffert said.

[Complete coverage of racing at Saratoga: News, PPs, and video]

Baffert’s top assistant, Jim Barnes, arrived in Saratoga on Monday along with Contested, who is being pointed to Saturday’s Grade 1 Test. Barnes will also saddle Liaison in the Travers and Gun Boat in the King’s Bishop.

“I want Jimmy to see the horse,” Baffert said when asked why Paynter was being moved from Belmont to Saratoga.

Baffert, who will not be coming to Saratoga this weekend, wants to get Paynter back in his care next week and train him for a little while before deciding if he can make the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby on Sept. 22.

Peter R More than 1 year ago
The Pennsylvania Derby, oh yes I can't wait, not! Let me count the ways to bet Paynter at 3-5. Could we pick a softer spot Baffert? This is his prep for the Classic, at least this prep win will ensure he will be a favorite that will surely fail against REAL competition in the Classic.
tony fortunelli More than 1 year ago
I pose what I think Is an interesting question, to wit, does all this special couplings during breeding season result in superior, fast horses, but also more delicate? I ask this as a result of so many of this year's top 3 yr olds have been retired. IHA, Union Rags, Bodemeister, Hansen, and how many more? Some for infrequently encountered reasons like that of Bode. Is breeding for that super horse, causing damage to the line of thoroughbreds like Round Table, Cigar, etc?
JDS0810 More than 1 year ago
Fever?
Paynter retires in 5... 4... 3... 2...
BobbyPS11 More than 1 year ago
.....agreed, Paynter is done.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
There are always a lot of negative comments here.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
If there were Equine Olympics, not only would no US/Canadian-based horses win medals...they wouldn't even pass pre-race testing to compete. Pretty sad, isn't it?
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Robin, Have we had 'troubles' in the 3-day events? Purely a question...
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Looks like BB is still pouting over Richard's Kid.
Joyce Johnson Groome More than 1 year ago
Would love to see Paynter go to the Pa.Derby! Parx is my home town track.It would be great for such a small facility to have a draw like that! It certainly would be easy money! Which I am sure is Baffert's thinking. I don't want to see a horse forced to race if he isn't sound ,but I would hate to see the Breeders Cup Classic without atleast one talented 3 year-old! So I am praying that the other shoe doesn't drop! The sport needs him!
Joyce Johnson Groome More than 1 year ago
Glad I was in Saratoga for the Whitney! This field for the Travers is subpar! Street Life is the only one I give half a shot ( I guess?) Love Saratoga, but what you have to pay to stay there for this caliber of talent! I would definately want my money back! Guess there's always next year!
Chris Butler More than 1 year ago
You are correct. I will go one step further. Saratoga, the elite race meet!! What a joke!!! Look at their cards the last couple of weeks: four or five maiden races, two or three $20,000 or $35,000 claimers, maybe an allowance race or a stake or two. Even the weekend cards leave a lot to be desired.
Joyce Johnson Groome More than 1 year ago
Even when I was there for the Whitney,other than the first race,they were all maidens until I believe the 8th race! Lost a lot of interest until almost 4:00! If it wasn't that I love the town,driving 5 hours and spending lots over 4 days was almost not worth it!
Peter R More than 1 year ago
Joyce, I take it you are being sarcastic. The Whitney was the worst it probably has EVER been this year. The winner was an allowance level horse. This Travers field doesn't have a single horse that hit the board in a triple crown race. You can't fault Saratoga the horses just aren't out there.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Makes sense. This way all California based horses leave together from Saratoga.. With Dullahan.
denali1 More than 1 year ago
TC i respect that if those were his intentions but read the quote dude. I think if that was intentions he would of said that name a Baffert trained horse that has race beyond 3 in the past 10 years there arent many.
neigh sayer More than 1 year ago
Baffert would never miss a chance for a photo op, so I'm thinking he doesn't give Liaison much of a chance to make the winners circle. Paynter, NY to LA via Saratoga. Maybe they're shopping him.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Most likely, looking to make another deal before we hear what's up with Paynter, or not. Not trusting BB or Zayat these days.
jg777 More than 1 year ago
He didn't show up at Monmouth for the Haskell either, so there goes that idea.
neigh sayer More than 1 year ago
so then I guess you'll be plopping your money down on Liaison?
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Maybe that's what the gallop on Thursday was all about...