04/08/2015 2:12PM

Kentucky Derby pedigree profiles: Far Right

Coady Photography
Far Right, who has already captured two route stakes on the road to the Kentucky Derby, is thus far outrunning a pedigree slanted toward speed.

Far Right
Notional – Zindi, by Vindication
(Bred in Kentucky by Nossab LLC and Patrick J. Crowley; $2,500 purchase by Jon Jazdzewski at 2013 Keeneland January horses of all ages sale)

The well-seasoned Far Right has successfully stretched out to win both of his starts this year, first taking the Smarty Jones Stakes at a mile and then winning the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes at 1 1/16 miles. The ridgling will go 1 1/8 miles for the first time in Saturday’s Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park. Far Right has established himself as a prominent Kentucky Derby contender by outrunning a pedigree that suggests added distance will be a stiff challenge.

Far Right is one of two winners from as many starters out of the unraced Vindication mare Zindi. However, her other runner, the Heatseeker filly Just Heatin Up, scored her only win at 5 1/2 furlongs.

:: MORE COVERAGE: Derby Watch Top 20 | Road to the Derby | Pedigree profiles ::

Second dam Inspired Hope was a winner at 1 1/16 miles on turf, but none of her four winners won beyond 6 1/2 furlongs. The mare is a half-sister to multiple graded stakes winner Big Jag, third in the 1999 Breeders’ Cup Sprint.

Far Right’s fourth dam is champion older female Cascapedia, whose solid performances at route distances included a win in the Grade 1 Vanity Handicap and a runner-up effort in the Hollywood Gold Cup. She is a multiple stakes producer, and several of her daughters are stakes producers; however, the family has trended toward speed. Notable names on the page include Acey Deucey, the winner of the Grade 1 Prioress Stakes; Exotic Wood, a Grade 1 winner at both sprint and route distances; and multiple graded stakes winner and track record holder Reneesgotzip, twice placed in the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint.

Notional, a son of In Excess, won the Grade 2 San Rafael Stakes, Grade 3 Risen Star Stakes, and Grade 3 Salvator Mile, all at route distances. Far Right is the most accomplished runner by the young sire as his only graded stakes winner from his first three crops to race. Notional’s progeny have an average winning distance just shy of 6 1/2 furlongs.

Bran Leeper More than 1 year ago
I'm from oaklawn park and yesterday in the Arkansas derby I felt he should have railed instead of swinging wide and also could have been a little forwardly placed but not to far I hope mike smith takes the rail or whoever riding him try to get to the rail I knew when he swung 8 wide it took it out him I'm glad he made it been playing this horse since he was a 2 year old making his debut at keenand and I'm sticking with him thru the end hope he gets a good trip in the running for the roses
Bernard Flint More than 1 year ago
Very impressive record, reminds me of Cannonaro2nd a $2,200. yearling at Keeneland. I would not be quick to forget about him in the Kentucky Derby. My good friend, Bob Guidroz, was one of the underbidders on that horse. I will never forget the day after the Ky Derby . . He showed me the page, in the sales catalog, which he wrote Purchased for $2,200, bid $1,800. not worth $2,200. He has since passed on. I wonder how many times he relived that day at the Keeneland auction. Bernard Flint
cojinoa20 More than 1 year ago
What is going at Belmont Park, the rumors are that NYRA is trying to dump some less fortune "exercise riders" to the street. These guys spend this hard winter galloping in precarious condition, and now they will be out in order to make space for the employees of big outfits that are coming either from Gulfstream Park or Aqueduct in just less than fifteen days. Can someone do something about this?... Shame of you NYRA!
cojinoa20 More than 1 year ago
That is why the Kentucky Derby is so cool, horses like him make the whole Derby equation so complicated,... sorry about the so called experts handicappers!
Johnny Matheis More than 1 year ago
Poor Nicole. Another of the new generation that don't know pedigree. The only thing going for Far Right is his pedigree. His 1.50 dosage is one of the few justified low dosages of the top three olds, with Caro, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Nijinsky, Deputy Minister, and not near as many sprinters as any of the others. He needs better form, though. Must win or at least run a good second in Arkansas to be considered. I hope he doesn't, because that will make the Derby picture murky. I don't need more contenders.
tommy More than 1 year ago
I will not bet far right in the exacta unless he races well in the Arkansas derby !!!! God forbid he comes 2nd in the kentucky derby!! This horse has no shot for coming 3rd in the kentucky derby !!!!
you actually write these stupid comments like you think someone is listening to you... very strange