Sun, 12/29/2013 - 20:27

Aqueduct: Pick six carryover of $93,867 for Tuesday; mandatory payout

There will be a two-day pick six carryover of $93,867.02 heading into Tuesday’s card at Aqueduct, and the entire pool must be paid out on the final day of 2013.

The New Year’s Eve pick six begins with race 4 at about 1:47 p.m. Eastern. All six races in the wager have at least eight betting interests before scratches.

[Build your pick six ticket with DRF TicketMaker]

Sun, 12/29/2013 - 14:32

Santa Anita: Indy Point sustains career-threatening suspensory injury

Benoit & Associates
Indy Point, ridden by Gary Stevens, wins the John Henry Turf Championship by 1 1/4 lengths Sunday.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Indy Point, third in the Breeders’ Cup Turf at Santa Anita in November, suffered a suspensory injury while training earlier this month and has been sent to Argentina, where he was bred and began his racing career, trainer Richard Mandella said Sunday.

Indy Point was sent to Argentina before Christmas and will be evaluated in 2014 regarding his racing future. It is possible that Indy Point will be retired, Mandella said.

Sat, 12/28/2013 - 19:59

Hawthorne cuts short Saturday card after track thaws quickly

Hawthorne Race Course outside Chicago canceled the last six races on its Saturday card, citing thawing of its dirt main track.

The track was officially rated fast for the first two races on Saturday, but changed to wet-fast for the third race. With a gusty south wind funneling air from the Gulf of Mexico, high temperatures around Chicago soared Saturday afternoon into the 50s, the warmest weather since early November.

Sat, 12/28/2013 - 14:12

Suffolk casino vote set for Feb. 25

EAST BOSTON, Mass.– Voters in the City of Revere will go back to the polls on Feb. 25, 2014, to decide whether Mohegan Sun’s proposal to develop a $1 billion destination resort casino at Suffolk Downs may move forward.

The referendum is on the new host community agreement (HCA) reached on Dec. 23 that would give the city up to $30 million annually, an up-front payment of $33 million, and about $45 million in infrastructure improvements should Mohegan Sun be awarded the single casino license designated for the Greater Boston area.

Sat, 12/28/2013 - 12:31

Belmont Stakes purse raised to $1.5 million

The purse for the Belmont Stakes has been raised by 50 percent to $1.5 million, according to a press release issued by the New York Racing Association on Saturday.

The Belmont, the third and longest jewel of Thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown, had been worth $1 million since 1998. It will be run for the 146th time on June 7, 2014. The increase puts the “Test of the Champion” more in line with the Kentucky Derby, which is worth $2 million, and the Preakness, which earlier this month also received a $500,000 boost after being run for $1 million since 1998.

Sat, 12/28/2013 - 11:12

Tampa Bay Downs: Leading rider De La Cruz injured in spill

OLDSMAR Fl. – Fernando De La Cruz, who was in the midst of his best meeting ever and was holding a comfortable lead in the local riders' standings, will be sidelined at least four weeks as he recovers from injuries suffered when he went down in a spill during the stretch run of Friday’s ninth race.

De La Cruz, who has won 23 races at the meet, was battling for the lead in midstretch of the mile and a sixteenth turf race aboard favored Poster Girl when the 3-year-old filly suddenly ducked to the inside and crashed through the portable inner rail, unseating De La Cruz.

Fri, 12/27/2013 - 16:57

Aqueduct: Jacobson collects record 160th winner in New York

David Jacobson established a record for races won in a single year on the New York Racing Association circuit when Tiz Gianna ($4.40) captured Friday’s seventh race at Aqueduct as the favorite under jockey David Cohen.

“It’s something very special,” said Jacobson. “I thought after we had a really good meet at Saratoga, I might have a shot. It worked out. It was great to have David and Drawing Away Stable involved in this special moment.”

Fri, 12/27/2013 - 16:36

DRF Plus Graded Stakes Analysis: December 28, 2013

G2 W.L. McKnight at Calder (race 7, post 3:30 ET) by Marty McGee

Let there be no doubt that Twilight Eclipse (#9) and Slumber (#11) are highly capable professionals and definitely the ones to beat in this popular end-of-year fixture, but it’s equally clear that neither will offer much wagering value in this turf marathon.

Fri, 12/27/2013 - 14:41

Catalano ends association with Ramseys

Trainer Wayne Catalano has all but ended his four-year association with leading North American owners Ken and Sarah Ramsey, Catalano confirmed Friday.

A few Ramsey horses still are in limbo, housed in Catalano’s stalls at Keeneland, but Catalano said he had given up about 15 other Ramsey-owned horses. Some, like the good Illinois-bred Coalport, who is with Mike Maker’s string in Florida, already have begun showing up with other trainers.

“We had different philosophies,” Catalano said of the split. “Believe me, this was a hard thing to do. We parted on good terms.”

Thu, 12/26/2013 - 20:15

Santa Anita attracts 30,540 on opening day

Benoit & Associates
Gary Stevens urges 13-1 outsider Heir Kitty to victory in the Grade 1 La Brea, the first of three stakes on opening day Thursday.

ARCADIA, Calif. – The first step of the new journey for Southern California racing was a positive one on Thursday, as Santa Anita opened for a spectacular day of racing with weather ordered up by the Chamber of Commerce, only four days after the plug was pulled on Betfair Hollywood Park.

A crowd of 30,540 attended opening day, an increase of nearly 12 percent from the 27,273 that attended a year ago, when opening day was on a Wednesday.

Betting, though, was down. Overall handle was $13,246,238, a decrease of 2 percent from $13,494,676 a year ago.