Fri, 07/18/2014 - 11:28

N.Y. Daily News lays off its only racing writer

The New York Daily News on Thursday laid off its full-time racing writer and will no longer cover the sport on a daily basis, leaving no major newspaper in New York with daily racing coverage.

Jerry Bossert, the Daily News’s only full-time racing reporter, was informed of the decision Thursday, the day before the opening of the Saratoga Race Course meet. He declined to comment when contacted Friday.

Thu, 07/17/2014 - 11:35

Late racing writer Paul Moran to be honored Sunday

The New York Turf Writers Association will honor the late racing journalist Paul Moran with a ceremony at Saratoga on Sunday, which would have been his 67th birthday. Moran died Nov. 9, 2013, of complications from lung cancer.

At 11 a.m., Moran’s ashes will be scattered by the grave of Go for Wand in the Saratoga infield, as per his request. Go for Wand’s death on the racetrack in the 1990 Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Belmont Park was the subject of one of Moran’s Eclipse Award-winning articles.

Later in the day, a race named in Moran’s honor will be run at Saratoga.

Tue, 07/15/2014 - 13:23

Mucho Macho Man, won 2013 BC Classic, retired to stud

Barbara D. Livingston
Mucho Macho Man (right) holds off Will Take Charge to win the Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita last year.

Mucho Macho Man, the reigning Breeders’ Cup Classic winner, has been retired, Adena Springs Farm announced Tuesday. Adena Springs purchased a major interest in Mucho Macho Man from owners Dean and Patti Reeves earlier this year and will stand the horse at stud next season for an undisclosed fee.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 21:18

Big fields for opening day, including 13 for Oceanside

Barbara D. Livingston
After two races on the dirt, Diamond Bachelor returns to his best surface in the Pasadena.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Fueled by high purses, a wider turf course, and the eagerness to race at Del Mar, a total of 123 horses were entered Sunday for the 10-race opening-day card on Thursday at Del Mar.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 19:15

Top female grass runner Tiz Flirtatious retired

Benoit & Associates
Tiz Flirtatious, winning the Grade 1 Rodeo Drive last year, had her first work of the year on Tuesday.

CYPRESS, Calif. – Tiz Flirtatious, the Grade 1 winner who ranked among the top female grass runners in California, has been retired from racing, owner-breeder Pamela Ziebarth said Sunday at Los Alamitos.

Ziebarth said Tiz Flirtatious sustained an injury from which she could have recovered and raced again. However, the decision was made to retire the 6-year-old mare. Ziebarth plans to retain ownership and breed her next spring. Stallion plans are pending.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 18:22

The millionaire Jeranimo retires to stud

Benoit & Associates
Jeranimo, who won the Grade 1 Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar in July, will be pre-entered for the $1 million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint and the $2 million BC Mile.

CYPRESS, Calif. – Jeranimo, a millionaire and eight-time stakes winner, has been retired from racing and will stand at stud next year, trainer Mike Pender said Sunday.

Pender said discussions are ongoing with stallion farms but that no deal had been finalized as of Sunday. Jeranimo is entered July 20 in the Paddock Sale at Del Mar but will be withdrawn, Pender said.

Jeranimo’s retirement occurs less than a week after the death of co-owner B.J. Wright on July 8.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 17:31

Ouzts wins six races on Sunday card

CINCINNATI – Jockey Perry Ouzts won six races on the Sunday card at Belterra Park, including an exhibition match race. Ouzts won the exhibition aboard Kelly's Pride while netting the winner’s share of the $17,500 race.

He followed up with wins in the first aboard Soleil Sandoll ($2.40), the third with Star's Thalia ($4.40), the fourth with Erin and Ava ($17.80), the seventh with Flip Daddy ($9.40), and the eighth with Jock's Girl ($4.20).

Ouzts celebrated his 60th birthday last Monday and ranks 16th in wins for a jockey all time with 6,305.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 13:56

Filly collapses after workout, dies at Del Mar

DEL MAR, Calif. – Corlett Drive, a 4-year-old filly eligible for a first-level allowance condition, collapsed and died of an apparent heart attack following a five-furlong workout on Sunday morning at Del Mar.

 Corlett Drive had just completed her drill in 1:02.80 when she was pulled up on the clubhouse turn, her exercise rider sensing something seriously amiss. Her exercise rider had safely dismounted before she collapsed.

 “It looks like a classic heart attack, but she will have an autopsy,” said John Sadler, who trains Corlett Drive.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 11:13

Hamel rides six winners on Saturday card

Four Footed Fotos
Richard Hamel won six of the seven races on Saturday's program at Hastings.

Jockey Richard Hamel had a banner day Saturday at Hastings, winning six of the seven races carded. The leading rider at Hastings, Hamel won the first race aboard Dream Baby, who paid $9.10. Just two of the horses he rode were favorites, Bearrock N Roll, $4.00, in the second, and Cowboy Commander, $4.50, in the fourth.

His highest priced winner was Irish Lyric, who paid $12.80 for her upset win in the third race.

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 09:27

Mello rides Voodooville to 1,000th career win

ALTOONA, Iowa – Jockey David Mello collected his 1000th career win Saturday night when he guided the Iowa-bred gelding Voodooville to a three-length victory in a six-furlong claiming event.

Trained by Chris Richard for owner Maggi Moss, two of Mello's staunchest supporters, Voodooville scored for the first time this campaign while covering the distance in 1:11.06.