Thu, 01/15/2015 - 11:11

Heavy rain floods temporary stalls at Calder

Approximately 100 horses in temporary stalls erected in a parking area at Calder Race Course were allowed to move back into a closed area of the track’s backstretch this week after the temporary stalls were flooded by heavy rain Tuesday morning, according to track officials and horsemen.

Thu, 01/15/2015 - 09:48

Early Triple Crown nomination deadline Saturday

The early deadline to nominate horses for the 2015 Triple Crown series is Saturday, and nominations cost $600 each. The late nomination period, when nominations cost $6,000 each, is open through March 23. The names of all early nominees will be announced Jan. 31.

In 2014, there were 414 early nominations and 10 late nominations. The total was the highest since 460 horses were nominated in 2008.

The 141st Kentucky Derby opens the Triple Crown series May 2, followed by the May 16 Preakness Stakes and June 6 Belmont Stakes.

Wed, 01/14/2015 - 15:53

San Antonio, Donn Handicap to be broadcast live on Fox Sports

Four stakes, including the Grade 1 San Antonio Stakes and the Donn Handicap, will be broadcast live Feb. 7 on Fox Sports as the first program in the 2015 Jockey Club Tour on Fox series, the Jockey Club and Fox announced Wednesday.

Wed, 01/14/2015 - 12:49

Frozen dirt on inner track forces Wednesday cancelation

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – Live racing was canceled Wednesday at Aqueduct due to frozen clods of dirt on the inner track, New York Racing Association officials said.

It is the fourth full card that has been canceled in the last week. The final seven races of Friday’s card also were canceled.

Wednesday’s cancellation was announced less than an hour before first post.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 13:42

Kentucky regulators to get Asmussen report Thursday

The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will be presented the findings of an investigation into trainer Steve Asmussen during a closed-door executive session of a commission meeting Thursday, the executive director of the commission said Tuesday.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 13:03

Ritvo looking to dig Maryland racing out of hole

Jim Dunleavy
Laurel Park could see renovations as the Stronach Group tries to increase crowds at its Maryland tracks.

Maryland racing is at a tipping point. Betting handle has been in decline for years and the outdated facilities of Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course lack the amenities needed to draw and retain customers.

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 15:23

Eagle stuck far outside for Lecomte Stakes

Churchill Downs/Reed Palmer Photography
Eagle (left), finishing third in the Kentucky Jockey Club, will make his next start in the Jan. 17 Lecomte.

The Grade 3, $200,000 Lecomte for 3-year-olds and the $125,000 Silverbulletday for 3-year-old fillies are stakes races, but the post position draw, random as it is, treated both races like handicaps.

Eagle, the likely favorite in the Lecomte, and Top Decile, the likely favorite in the Silverbulletday, both drew the far outside post in their respective races. If they are to win, they will have their draws to overcome.

Sun, 01/11/2015 - 16:13

Paddock judge Ramon Muniz dies at 65

Ramon Muniz, the longtime paddock judge at Fair Grounds, was found dead in his home Saturday after failing to show up for work.

Muniz, 65, was the brother of Mervin Muniz, who was Fair Grounds’ racing secretary from 1976 until his passing in 2003 and for whom the Mervin Muniz Handicap is named.

Ramon Muniz also logged decades of work at Fair Grounds and served stints at the now-defunct Jefferson Downs in suburban New Orleans and at Evangeline Downs.

Sat, 01/10/2015 - 20:07

Bayern bothered by quarter crack

Susie Raisher

ARCADIA, Calif. – The first start of 2015 for Bayern, the Breeders’ Cup Classic winner, is in flux, due to a quarter crack, trainer Bob Baffert said on Saturday at Santa Anita.

 Baffert said Bayern missed a scheduled workout on Saturday morning because he has been dealing with a troublesome hind foot, which began following the Classic.

 “He popped a quarter crack after that race. We had to patch it,” Baffert said. “And now with the rain, I’m just going to have to be patient.”

Sat, 01/10/2015 - 19:57

Aqueduct meet will proceed as planned

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - With management and horsemen committing to be more vigilant and with a planned re-examination of an inner track it already deems safe, the New York Racing Association plans to go on with the remainder of Aqueduct’s winter meet schedule as is, officials said Saturday afternoon.

Saturday’s card was canceled - the fourth straight cancellation - due in part to the cold temperatures but also due to the fact there have been 11 equine fatalities in the first 20 days of the inner track meet.