Updated on 09/18/2013 8:51AM

Woodbine Mile: Wise Dan repeats with ease

Michael Burns
Wise Dan sets a course record at Woodbine by winning the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile in 1:31.75 on Sunday.

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – Wise Dan, North America’s reigning Horse of the Year, became the first horse to win the $1 million Woodbine Mile twice on Sunday, when he lowered the course record in the 17th running of the Win and You’re In qualifier for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.

Wise Dan ($2.50) had a perfect stalking trip in third under John Velazquez in the Grade 1 event. Excaper and Dimension hooked up through fast fractions of 23.15 seconds, 45.44, and 1:08.50 before being overtaken in midstretch by Wise Dan, who drew off to score by 3 1/2 lengths over Za Approval.

Trade Storm rallied from sixth and last to finish another 1 1/4 lengths back in third. Riding the River wound up fourth in the race for the second straight year.

Over firm ground, the final time of 1:31.75 was 0.09 seconds lower than the previous record set by Royal Regalia in 2004.

“It’s a pleasure to be connected to this horse,” said Velazquez, who has won the Woodbine Mile a record four times, including last year on Wise Dan. “The things he’s done are incredible. He broke well, and I put him right behind the other two horses, and he got rank with me. [I wanted him] to come off the bridle a little bit. Once he did that, I waited until the five-sixteenths pole and let him ease out from those two horses, and as soon as he saw daylight, he went on.”

It was a record-tying third straight win in the race for trainer Charlie LoPresti, who also won it with Turallure in 2011.

“I feel like we’ve got a great horse,” LoPresti said. “I say it every time he runs, but what he did today was really impressive. I don’t know how much better he can get. There’s no sign that he’s slowing down, I can tell you that. Johnny said he had so much horse left that he couldn’t get him pulled up.”

Wise Dan earned $600,000 for owner and breeder Morton Fink, which boosted the 6-year-old gelding’s bankroll to $5,046,850.

Of the $685,361 that was wagered to show on the race, $617,584 was bet on Wise Dan.

Jordan More than 1 year ago
If Game on Dude and Wise Dan both win out the rest of the year, for Dude that means winning the BC Classic, and for Dan winning the Shadwell and BC Mile, Dan will end up with more gr.1 stakes wins and overall stakes wins, but Dude will almost assuredly be voted Horse of the Year. Historically, when two horses have similar resumes but one is a maintrack performer and the other a turf star, the maintrack horse will get the award. The likely rewarding of Dude, as the maintrack horse, won't be done just for history's sake. There is logic behind this bias towards the maintrack horses. When it comes to dirt racing, American horses are widely considered the best; this is reflected in not only the results of the BC Classic but the Dubai World Cup as well. On synth surfaces, the American advantage is smaller, but overall when synth and dirt are taken together(as a singular "maintrack") most will acknowledge American superiority. The same is not true for turf racing. The US ranks somewhere with Italy, Argentina, and South Africa, and behind Engalnd, Ireland, France, Japan, and even Hong Kong and Australia. The implication is that if a horse like Dude wins a bunch of maintrack races including the BC Classic, it can safely be assumed that horse is the best maintrack performer in the world(at the least the best dirt horse). However, even if a horse like Wise Dan sees his win streak culminate in another BC Mile victory, it wouldn't be nearly as clear that this horse is the best turf miler in the world. Did all the best from Europe come over for the BC? How about the best Asian milers? Or the Aussie milers? How about the South Africans? And for an American turf horse to really prove itself best, would it need to go and and win a big race overseas given the inferiority of the North American turf division? There is a reason why it took Lure, widely considered the best recent North American turf miler, 20 years to make the Hall of Fame and why so few North American based turf horses are in the Hall. Voters know that being the best North American turf horse is being a big fish in a medium pond. This is not to say that Wise Dan isn't the best turf miler in the world, just that it wouldn't be clear.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Good book where can I pick up a copy. Wise Dan not best turf Miler in world just To many euros have won Bc turf races and no ones going over there and winning any thing of significance. Until a US bred train and primarily race here wins Queens Ann or arc. Turf is there game dirt is ours.
edb More than 1 year ago
I saw Secretariat run as a two year old at Garden State Park and he ran like the monster he was. He was special. Wise Dan is special. No ifs, ands or buts. Enjoy the horse for what he is, a stunning miler. Sorry Mikey, but the horse doesn't care what you think about milers. Good question about which horse you would like to own. Can't lose with either one, they take beautiful pictures. Now if we could teach them the Zenyatta shuffle.
mikey More than 1 year ago
Edb, Oh the horse is not to blame. They run for us. Wise Dan is a fantastic miler - but that is all he is, nothing more. I am not here to own a horse, just like I couldn't own any professional sports team. I am here as a ex-customer. You see I have always believed a thoroughbred was bred for the Derbies, triple crown...not for the MeT Mile or the BC Juvy just to get to the shed to get a quick ROI. The term thoroughbred should be special. It means showing quality in the TC and if you are not that precocious at three, at least your breeding as a thoroughbred meant you can perform just like a John Henry or a Forego. Breeding for shorter distance horses meant we lost our most prestigious races from the Big Cap to the Handicap Triple...these were the races that got tons of publicity and brought fans in and made them customers as bettors. Now the only publicity we get is the KD where horses get in because they have enough speed to get enough points at 8.5 to 9f but coughing lungs out at 10f. Yes horses don't care but add up the RDM and horrendous takeouts plus the lack of real tb...you get what you get....No more lecture from me....the truth is if you take out the subsidy from the casino where will this industry be?....
edb More than 1 year ago
There is a new world of racing now. Yes it is fueled by slot money and yes the quality is down. Look at this year's crop of 3 year olds. Where have they all gone? There is no horse racing buzz on ESPN or any papers. At least there was more TV coverage on NBC this year. It's a start. Don't be fixated about distance. Do you know the only horse to run two +120 Beyers in a row? I wish you have seen Groovy run 6fs. It was awesome. Enjoy the greatness. It is fleeting
mikey More than 1 year ago
You seem not to get what I just said....our most prestigious races that brought in the fans and customers were classic distance races....it is not the sprint or mile races....if distance is not an issue then why not shorten the KD and the triple crown...just keep shortening everything....lol.....shouldn't the breeding be towards the secretariats and not towards the quarterhorses....There is no buzz anywhere because the great races have lost prestige because they do not breed horses for those races anymore.... There was nothing awesome about Groovy's 6f...his Beyer of 133 meant he was the next best thing to Secretariat......that is how timeform configured how Frankel who never ran 12 furlongs are better than those greats who did run 12 furlongs...that is just to get the buzzz....unfortunately that kind of buzz does not work......
edb More than 1 year ago
You are not understanding that the buzz in the industry is on the jewel days and two BC days. After that, it is only a couple of must see races the rest of the year. My favorite race this year was the Ky Oaks. I like good horses running against good horses and the odds reflect it. That's why I like BC and different races run at different distances and on different surfaces. Greatness is not just at the classic distances. PS: Groovy was awesome.
mikey More than 1 year ago
HEHEHE still pretending....The percieved buzz on the industry is on the jewel days and 2 BC days because the great pretigious races like the handicap triple have no horses bred for it....no Groovy is not awesome...he has no stamina which is suppose to be part of what a thoroughbred should be.... I understand that the quick ROI on breeding is why it went that way but the result is a industry that is less than a niche....
Walter More than 1 year ago
What do you mean by the Zenyatta shuffle?
edb More than 1 year ago
Zenyatta used to prance around on the track. Before and after the race. It's not bragging when you prove it. It was a cool shuffle.
You Feel Lucky More than 1 year ago
Mikey..............stop all your B.S. about "the industry" and do something about it, if you got a problem with a horse not being able to run a 2:24 mile and a half. Get over it.....get out now while you can.
mikey More than 1 year ago
LOL...that is like saying I do not like the quarterback for an NFL team so I need to buy my own ballclub and then I can do what I want with the team.....The B.S. is from those who wants to project these specialist are more than they are....and that included Frankel. Nothing wrong with this "evolution" if the industry is thriving..... Yeah I am doing something about it.....I hardly bet today......but I do bet the 10 furlongs races because it has great value with all the milers being touted by the industry...lol
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
You got a point it is like, a guy last week said if game on dude does not run like Seattle slew he sucks
Walter More than 1 year ago
Seems like if you speak the truth about WD, it drives folks crazy. WD is a nice horse but he is a turf mile specialist, and that's it. If he could do more, the connections would put him in different races to prove it. I know he a gelding, so there is a need to preserve him, I respect that angle. But I'm sure his connections like large purses, so if they thought he could win the BCC, I'm certain they would put him there.
Daniel Garcia More than 1 year ago
Would you rather own Wise Dan or Game on Dude? I would go with GOD.
sharjil More than 1 year ago
You are crazy...... Dan is good on all three surfaces, multiple distances and multiple running styles. So you would rather own a horse that is a one dimensional speed horse and runs on only two surfaces and prefers longer distances ?
mikey More than 1 year ago
Sometimes I wonder what has gone wrong with this industry....and reading all the comments here, I have come to the conclusion that this great industry will continue it's steady decline. There was a time what the word thoroughbred meant something. There was a time that this industry bred for the triple triple crown and aim to breed a horse that can win the Belmont... Thoroughbred mean speed, strength, durability, stamina.....now most couldn't last a dozen races and those few that can last a little longer couldn't run 10 furlongs even if you drop them from a tall building....
Daniel Garcia More than 1 year ago
So, you're picking the American turf miler runner, instead of the American dirt classic distance runner?
Chris More than 1 year ago
I think you've got your horses confused. This year, Wise Dan has run one distance (1 mile) on one surface (turf). Game on Dude has raced (and won) on polytrack, synth, and dirt at 9 and 10 furlongs this year. Got them backwards maybe?
Eddie Smith More than 1 year ago
It's not even close, Game On Dude. He runs on dirt and poly at the classic American distance of 10f which is where the most prestigious and historic races reside (Big Cap, HOL Gold Cup, Pacific Classic, JCGC, BC Classic). AND, he is just as effective at 9f.
Leo Bartolotta More than 1 year ago
GOD.....WILL NOT RUN OUTSIDE OF CAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris Lowe More than 1 year ago
Didn't know Charles Town and Churchill were in Cali LMAO!
Chris More than 1 year ago
And Wise Dan won't change distance or surface...what's your point?
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
Wise Dan because I'm from Kentucky so my friends and family could all get together and watch him a couple times a year. I'd also get VIP treatment at the Derby and Belmont because I'd have a horse running in the Turf Classic and Manhattan. If I did own him he'd run in the GP Turf, Maker's 46 Mile, Turf Classic, Manhattan, Arlington Million, Shadwell and BC Mile. Tough but not too tough. He'd get plenty of rest
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
Besides running in Kentucky I'd get to visit Miami, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. Id spend about a week at each
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
If that was wise Dan. Schedule he would be best American turf horse in history. Shades of John Henry.
Perl More than 1 year ago
I would rather own Wise Dan. He just seems a bit more special to me both in his comportment and the things he has accomplished (Yes it's highly debatable, some will say I'm crazy but whatever). Wise Dan just seems more exceptionable to me. He's the best middle distance turf horse in the past 30 years and you could not make that claim for GOD in the classic division. I guess I understand that some people insist a horse must run 10-12f to be considered great. I wholeheartedly disagree with this premise but whatever. When is the last time a north american horse won this many graded turf races in a row? It just doesn't happen. Dan the Man.
mikey More than 1 year ago
MIDDLE DISTANCE!!?? lmfao.....hahahaha.....he is a miler....some of you really believes the fan today are stupid.....lol....no respect for the truly great past thoroughbreds and no respects to the bettors or fans today.....RDM and pathetic takeouts and now promoting these milers like classic distance horses.....lol
Perl More than 1 year ago
Now the troll shows his true colors. Lol.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Mikey you are way off topic buddy what gelding would you want to own there is a good case for both. You are off topic right now. Way off topic
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
It is a close call Dan gives me more easy money than dude and less distance to recover from race after race wise Dan could be winning grade one turf miles until he is 8. Now dude has chance for a bigger payouts example dude made 1.35 million sweeping the California three this year. He has just as good of a chance in winning 2.7 million first prize in the classic as anybody. Regardless of what some pundits think. Second place is 900k. That is only 300k less then Bc mile 1st place prize. Only issue is regardless of competition game on dude has run a mile and quarter three times in a year. That is tasking no matter who is in race. I think it is personality decision if you are conservative go with dan, like to gamble on bigger payout at end of year dude. After this long post I am at I don't know. I guess game on dude for me. G .O.D
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
Dan. I think he's the better horse.
Michael Castellano More than 1 year ago
Sorry, but GOD is a nice horse, but has never proved he can handle the East Coast boys. Wise Dan can run circles around everyone, regardless of the surface.
Bustedbox2 More than 1 year ago
Wise Dan is the classiest and most consistent horse in American racing today -- bar none!
B More than 1 year ago
Bar none? How about the unbeaten Game on Dude? Unbeaten, as they both are this year, how can one be more consistent than the other?!
sharjil More than 1 year ago
During their careers, Dan has been more consistent. Dude is surely very classy, but on three of his biggest days, he flopped twice, and was unsuccessful on the third as well. I'm talking about 2 BCCs and one World Cup. Dan set a record on the big day. Dan ran and won on all surfaces. Even in his last loss Dan was all class. Not the case with Dude's last two losses. So what are you trying to say B ?
Perl More than 1 year ago
Exactly. Game on Dude flopped on the biggest stage of his career and Wise Dan ran a sizzling race. B isn't so good at handling this truth. Wise Dan's last ten races have been truly remarkable and the stuff of legend. This is not trying to take anything away from Game on Dude's performance thus far in 2013, which makes him rightfully the de facto HOY if the voting were held today...
sharjil More than 1 year ago
I agree...... Dude has accomplished more this year. No doubt.... But if you ask me, who is a better horse..... Dan is surely the better animal. Much better......
mikey More than 1 year ago
That is because GOD runs at a tougher distance.....unlike all these specialist that has taken this industry to where it is today....
sharjil More than 1 year ago
Your argument is bogus. Have you heard of Black Caviar, Goldikova, Frankel etc ? What is common in all of them ? That they were horses of shorter distances. Frankel being the only one trying a longer distance ONCE....... That makes him great right ? lol..... What a joke...... Distances have nothing to do with the state of the industry. Its poor management and marketing. Plus recession......
Perl More than 1 year ago
mikey has no conception of the fact that modern sports have evolved into the age of specialists. He doesn't have to like it, but that's just the way it is. It's not just horseracing either. Look at baseball. I wonder if this guy thinks Mariano Rivera deserves to be in the hall of fame. No wait, he's a closing specialist so he's not a great pitcher! Look at pro football. You can't even hit the quarterback anymore but none of these defensive players could possibly hold a candle to Dick Butkus. It's a complete lack of understanding of the way things have evolved over time. And I wouldn't care about such ignorance except he's attacking Wise Dan, who is one of the most dominant and efficient racing machines I have ever set eyes upon.
mikey More than 1 year ago
Perl....evolve into what??...A DYING INDUSTRY SUBSIDIZED BY THE WELFARE CHECKS FROM CASINOS....give me a break....if this breeding for sprinters and miler worked then you can toot your horn....but IT DID NOT.... why because now the aim is to win the BC juvy and the Met Mile....
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
I've been watching and betting on horses for years and I can tell you this with no hesitation about Wise Dan. Up to 1 1/8 miles on either turf or synthetic, this horse is all but unbeatable. On dirt, he is a top flight G1 horse, but would not win all his races. Turf. Synthetic. Simply one of the best you'll ever see. His beat 2 very nice horses (top flight) WITH EASE yesterday. Shades of Secretariat? Absolutely. Put them both in at 1 1/8 on turf and I'll lean towards Wise Dan
mikey More than 1 year ago
This is what happens when we do not breed great thoroughbreds anymore!!
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Give it a rest already. Surely that drum has a hole in it by now.
mikey More than 1 year ago
What you guys need to do is give this great horse bs a rest....the funny part is the industry continue to tank and subsidized by welfare checks from the casinos and some of you still keeps denying...that is why it continues to tank....
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
A few points; First, I like Wise Dan but never did I say he was great. So I really don't get "you guys" Second,If you are so down on the industry. move on. If it is such bad shape, which granted their are things that need to be addressed, the last thing it needs is a bunch of negativity and complain. But you seem intent. So be it. Third, that seems to leave you with a couple of choices. Move on like I said earlier, buy and breed your own horses, or continue with your non- fact based, broad stroke complaining.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Prisoner of the moment, comment. Secretariat would blow this horses doors off figure of speech. No chance and I was not even born in 1973. Video don't lie, multiple track and a world record don't lie either, no matter what the BEYER CULT SAY. No way I am sure some real historians of american turf racing can find at least five other horse that would blow his doors off at the condition you set.
sharjil More than 1 year ago
And Dan almost almost set the world record, while not even trying, and on a turf that wasnt even very fast, that doesnt mean anything to you ? Arent Secretariat's times still being counted ? He said "Shades of Secretariat"....Whats wrong with that ? People need to chill out and accept that their CAN BE a horse as great as secretariat. And its okay. Im not saying Wise Dan is that good, but comparisons can be made now. Dan is a machine.
mikey More than 1 year ago
Cannot compare a miler specialist to a great thoroughbred....
sharjil More than 1 year ago
So a miler specialist cannot be a great thoroughbred ? What is Dan, a quarter horse ?
mikey More than 1 year ago
Yeah...nothing wrong with Wise Dan...but he is the best we got because we don't have much....that is why the comparison to Secretariat and all that nonsense....
jay More than 1 year ago
At a mile on the turf, there is not a horse in American racing history who would "blow this horse's doors off." Wise Dan would be competitive with any horse you can name, including Secretariat.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
First thing his condition is a mile an 1/8 turf not a mile. It is so funny I am one of those people who do not think Wise dan should run in classic, that is silly.all I everr said is why not stretch him out before breeders mile. You can't have it both ways you can't say shades of secretariat, then get upset when stupid people start talking about running in the classic. READ HIS WHOLE POST JAY "on dirt, he is a top flight g1 horse." Does any body know who he beat in clark and what have those horses done it is his only g1 on dirt SO I WILL BE STUPID and create a FANTASY RACE CONDITION AS WELL. One that would give my horse the best chance to compete even though my horse is top flight on any surface How bout Wise Dan and Holy bull at belmot park Mile1/8 dirt. Seehow stupd that sounds
mikey More than 1 year ago
This argument is because the breeding for classic distance horse in USA has gone away whether on turf or dirt....
B More than 1 year ago
So have I and I am old enough to have been around during the Secretariat days and there has never been one like him since. Wise Dan is a sensational horse, but there have been plenty since the years of Secretariat that could also give WD a run for his money. Let's not get carried away here.
Perl More than 1 year ago
At least you admit Wise Dan is a sensational horse, unlike these other nutballs...
mikey More than 1 year ago
the nutballs are those that overhypes these horses today.....
Perl More than 1 year ago
If you don't realize that Wise Dan is a great horse then you don't have even half a clue. Now go ahead and tell me for the one millionth time that you need to run 10 furlongs to be considered a great horse. I will lol at your ignorance yet again.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Handle it Perl.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Any time people mention the name Secretariat in the same breath as a modern thoroughbred you can pretty much guarantee that people will go nutty. Forget about the fact that Secretariat never even raced as a 4yo and on occasion ran off races, as you would expect from a 3yo colt. And this is to take nothing away from Secretariat who is a legend in every sense of the word, but he was flesh and bone too. Comparisons between Secretariat and Wise Dan don't seem particularly prudent, but Wise Dan certainly looked at acted like The Big Horse yesterday. He knows he's the man now and it's awfully fun to watch for those people not so caught up in empty bitterness about the sport of horseracing...(ahem).
mikey More than 1 year ago
Wise Dan is a miler....end of story...There is a big humongous reason why the 10 furlongs Classic and the worlds classic distances have the highest purses in the world...Melbourne, Arc de T, Dubai WC, BC Classic....I know there are factions there who are trying to hype all these sprinters and milers because of the current breeding but give that nonsense a break already....
sharjil More than 1 year ago
So, being a miler is a curse, is it ? We are talking about his heart and class, and you keep bringing up hes a miler. BS....... What was the mighty Frankel ? MIler...... Why would I want to run my horse in a long distance and put him on the shelf for two months, when i can make double money and still keep him fresh ? Which world do you live in ? Do you live in Amish land and not believe in money ? Did you see Dan being pulled up yesterday ? He can run in twoo weeks and smoke the field yet again. Double money double fun...... Grow up now. Stop hating...... And yeah, put Secretariat against him at a mile or 1 1/8 on turf, Dan will smoke him too. But thats not it.... Secretariat was and is and will be a legend, Theres mch more to it. My point is, just embrace the good.....
mikey More than 1 year ago
Being a miler before is because they cannot run the classic distances....when was the last time a miler was horse of the year....WD is the result of that breeding.....
mikey More than 1 year ago
there is nothing good about comparing a miler to a classic distance horse...it's downhill from that....period...
mikey More than 1 year ago
the only bitterness is the decline of this great industry.....yeah keep breeding them sprinters and milers.....
James More than 1 year ago
If he had that much horse left, then let him run another 1/4 of a mile. please. for me? What else does he have to prove at a mile on grass? He already has champion turf male in the bag. Why not try to get Older Male and HOY for the second year in a row?
sharjil More than 1 year ago
James james james............ Horse racing is not done to prove anything. It is a game of money. And that is what he needs to do, make money for the connections. He doesnt need to prove anything. He is setting the bar high. If someone else needs to prove anything, they can come and catch him. Everyone knows he is the best in his division. Now he can just make money thats all. And by the way, did you see yesterday, he wasnt even blowing hard towards the end of the race. Now if that was a longer race, he wouldnt have raced until BC. Now, he can run one more time and make another few hundred thousand. Who wouldnt like that ? Wouldnt you ?
James More than 1 year ago
ok. no one has ever entered a race to prove their horse is the better horse then. that only goes back to the origin of the sport.
Rafael Acosta More than 1 year ago
Simply put, this horse is the greatest at what he does. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
I think keeping the streak going is the best way to attract fans. I don't see how running him on dirt and him losing is going to attract new fans. Non racing fans don't care or even know who Wise Dan or Zenyatta beat, they just know about the win streak so they want to see the horse run. If WD was 3-6 this year running in harder races nobody outside horse racing would care. The best thing for racing is for WD to stay sound and keep going and going and going... like the Energizer Bunny.
jay More than 1 year ago
Unfortunately, non-racing fans not only don't care about Wise Dan, they most likely have never even heard of him, as there is almost no mainstream sports coverage of horse racing in newspapers or on TV. I don't think he will attract any new fans. Horse racing is very minor sport in America and I see no way it will ever regain popularity.
B More than 1 year ago
Non racing fans don't even know who either of them are. Even while she was running, I never found one person who wasn't into racing who had ever heard of her. Non racing fans seem to only know the name Secretariat.