Loading advertisement
Logo
  • Shop Now
  • Help
  • Handicapping & PPs
  • Entries
  • Results
  • News & Info
  • Saratoga
  • Breeding
  • Harness
  • Help
  • Shop
  • DRF en Español
  • DRF Recommends
  • Bet on Sports
  • DRF Pro Services
  • DRF Form Finder
Track Pages
Horse Racing News
Stakes Races
DRF TV
Race of the Day
International Racing
Beyer Speed Figures
DRF En Espanol
Santa Anita

Santa Anita: Empire Way headed to San Felipe

Steve Andersen|Feb 08, 2012
Empire Way
Shigeki Kikkawa Empire Way was a closing second in the Robert Lewis.

ARCADIA, Calif. - Empire Way, second to I’ll Have Another in the Grade 2 Robert Lewis Stakes last Saturday at Santa Anita, will be pointed for the $300,000 San Felipe Stakes on March 10.

Trainer Mike Harrington said on Wednesday that Empire Way has been “hard to keep on the ground” since the Lewis Stakes. In the Lewis, run over 1 1/16 miles, Empire Way closed from last in a field of eight to finish 2 3/4 lengths behind 43-1 winner I’ll Have Another.

“I’m very happy with the second,” Harrington said. “The one thing, he was closing ground on a speed-favoring track.”

Owned by Heinz Steinmann, Empire Way earned $40,000 in graded stakes earnings in the Lewis, the criterion used to determine the 20 starters in the Kentucky Derby on May 5 if the race oversubscribes. Gaining additional graded stakes earnings in the San Felipe would help Empire Way’s chances of making the Kentucky Derby, but Harrington and Steinmann may have another candidate for that race in Creative Cause.

Third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs in November, Creative Cause will make his 2012 debut in the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes over seven furlongs on Feb. 19. Creative Cause’s second start of the season has not been determined.

“My problem is I’m undecided what I’ll do with Creative Cause,” Harrington said. “I’ll try to map out a plan for him. I’d run them both in the San Felipe, but Empire Way needs graded money and if [Creative Cause] outruns him I’ll be shooting myself in the foot.”

Both Creative Cause (20-1) and Empire Way (50-1) are part of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager that is being offered this weekend.

Melrose Woods changes hands

Melrose Woods, the upset winner of a maiden race for 3-year-old fillies in her career debut on Jan. 27, has been purchased privately by Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stables, trainer Dan Hendricks said.

Melrose Woods was based with Hendricks at his Santa Anita stable as of Wednesday, but is scheduled to ship to Florida in coming days, Hendricks said. He said he was not aware of who the new trainer would be. The Jacksons were not immediately available for comment.

Previously owned by Thor-Bred Stable, Melrose Woods, by Broken Vow, closed from fifth in a field of eight to win a maiden race over 6 1/2 furlongs by a half-length as the 45-1 longest shot in the field.

The purchase price of the private transaction was not disclosed, Hendricks said.

DRF Headlines

View All 
Stay Updated Now

Get the latest racing news, expert picks, and exclusive analysis delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up for Newsletter

Interested in News?

Google News

Download DRF app on your smartphone.

Download appDownload app

Events

  • Saratoga
  • Del Mar
  • Hong Kong
  • More

News

  • Race of the Day
  • Track Pages
  • Latest News
  • Breeding
  • More

Tracks

  • Del Mar
  • Gulfstream Park
  • Saratoga
  • Woodbine

Handicapping & PPs

  • DRF Classic PPs
  • Formulator PPs
  • TimeformUS PPs
  • Daily Racing
Program
  • DRF Picks
  • More
Drf en espanolPurchase ppspreference center
Drf en espanolPurchase ppspreference center

© 2026 Daily Racing Form.  All rights reserved.

Careers
Help
Terms
Privacy

© 2026 Daily Racing Form.  All rights reserved.