09/23/2013 3:22PM

Santa Anita: Awesome Again ambitious spot for You Know I Know

Benoit & Associates
You Know I Know followed this optional-claiming victory at Del Mar in August with a third in the Grade 1 Pacific Classic.

ARCADIA, Calif. – A $50,000 claimer as recently as April, the 4-year-old gelding You Know I Know makes his second consecutive start in a Grade 1 in Saturday’s $250,000 Awesome Again Stakes at Santa Anita. He deserves to be part of the field, in the mind of trainer John Sadler.

You Know I Know was third in the Grade 1 Pacific Classic at Del Mar on Aug. 25 and before that won an optional claimer over a mile on the synthetic track there Aug. 3.

“He ran two good races down there and he seems like a horse that is coming up a bit,” Sadler said Sunday.

Owned by Anthony Chacon and Paul Mangini Jr., You Know I Know has yet to win a stakes. If he were to win the Awesome Again Stakes, You Know I Know could start in a Breeders’ Cup race at Santa Anita on Nov. 1-2.

The Awesome Again Stakes is run over 1 1/8 miles on the main track and will be You Know I Know’s first start on dirt since a sixth in a maiden race at Santa Anita in April 2012. You Know I Know has not won on dirt in three starts, but Sadler said he was pleased with the way he worked six furlongs in 1:12 on the surface Sunday, the fastest of 18 recorded works at the distance. A winner of 5 of 18 starts and $329,830, You Know I Know has three wins on turf and two on synthetic tracks.

“He hasn’t run on the dirt in a long time, and we want to give him a shot,” Sadler said.

You Know I Know is the highest-placed runner from the Pacific Classic expected for the Awesome Again. Race winner Game On Dude will not start again until the BC Classic on Nov. 2. The Sadler-trainer Kettle Corn, second in the Pacific Classic, is expected to start in the $150,000 John Henry Turf Championship at Santa Anita on Sunday.

You Know I Know is part of an Awesome Again field expected to include Chief Havoc, Holy Lute, Liaison, Mucho Macho Man, Paynter, Soi Phet, Summer Hit, and Take Control.

There are five $250,000 Grade 1 races on Saturday’s program that are preps for Breeders’ Cup races. Santa Anita’s autumn meeting opens Friday.

Beholder, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2012, runs in the Zenyatta Stakes for fillies and mares over 1 1/16 miles on the main track. The winner of the Torrey Pines Stakes at Del Mar on Sept. 1, Beholder won two Grade 1 races for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita earlier this year – the Las Virgenes Stakes and Santa Anita Oaks.

In the Zenyatta, Beholder is expected to face Authenticity, Flashy American, Great Hot, Include Me Out, Magic Union, More Chocolate, and Via Villaggio.

She’s a Tiger, winner of the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante on Aug. 31, will be favored to win the Chandelier Stakes for 2-year-old fillies over 1 1/16 miles. Trained by Jeff Bonde, She’s a Tiger worked five furlongs in 58.60 seconds at Santa Anita last Saturday, the fastest of 92 works at the distance.

The Rodeo Drive Stakes for fillies and mares at 1 1/4 miles on turf is expected to be led by Tiz Flirtatious, the impressive winner of the Grade 2 John Mabee Stakes over 1 1/8 miles on turf at Del Mar on Aug. 11. She will face Marketing Mix, who beat Tiz Flirtatious in the Grade 1 Gamely Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park in May and was fourth in the Beverly D. Stakes at Arlington Park on Aug. 17.

Other probable starters are Customer Base, Lady of Shamrock, My Gi Gi, and Topic.

Tamarando, who won his stakes debut in the Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity over seven furlongs Sept. 4, starts in the FrontRunner Stakes for 2-year-olds over 1 1/16 miles. Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Tamarando is part of a field expected to include Bond Holder, Can the Man, Dance With Fate, New Year’s Day, Ontology, and Roundupthelute.

Gj Ubar More than 1 year ago
I heard Larry Jones say he was running Joyful Victory in the Zenyatta. I didn't see her name mentioned in the article. Hope to see her out here on the 28th!
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I wish Simon Callaghan would go for a maiden victory with Ontology. The horse has run fantastic on the Poly and the turf. Now tries dirt. Teaching this horse how to lose is not a good thing. You have a talented horse. Why not a confidence builder before you send him out in another stakes.
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
Couldn't agree more LM! Running them up through their conditions is indeed confidance building and will allow them to reach their full potential the proper way, As a lifelong horseman, I admire Simon Callaghan's abilities as a horseman, and I can't say that about many current trainers, but whatever the reasoning is as to why he's not running this horse up through his conditions leaves me wondering...jus sayin'...
MD23 More than 1 year ago
It might not be Simon Callaghan. It could be Ontology's owner, Paul Reddam, telling him to put the horse in stakes races. Reddam is known to gamble and take chances with his horses. However, I agree with everything you have said.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I agree with you. That is probably the case. The truth is he actually figures to be tough in this spot as Tamarando is definitely beatable. If he doesn't take this down, I hope the next time we see him is in a Mdn SP.
Keith Strouhal More than 1 year ago
Total chumps to be only offering 250 k , what a joke
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Love Santa anita but that is despicable
Sebastian Piscuskas More than 1 year ago
Well we saw 5 horse field Grade 1's at Saratoga that were worth 400k, 600k, 300k, so on and so forth. Now tell me: Which is more of a joke?
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I agree. What do you want SA to offer going into the Breeders Cup. A million dollar race?
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
You did not have to hurt me like that Sebastian, I am going to remember this. Lol
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
You seem to be taking this pretty personally. Which race is your horse running in,and why didn't you ship east for more money?
RIP Grammar More than 1 year ago
Seeing as we have such a horse shortage, they should be reducing the number of graded stakes races, substantially increasing the size of the purses offered in them and then maybe it will attract good size fields of high quality horses...
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Love Santa Anita, but 250k is a little light for Grade one. I know I know, Purse Amount does not matter anymore. NEW AGE
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Way light. No mystery why the preps at Belmont will come up stronger.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
Stronger? Maybe the Awesome Again doesn't look strong, but that is an excellent betting race. Soi Phet has been a beast for Leonard Powell and gets the acid test this weekend. Great card!
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
As west coast racing, fan you are right. Every prep at Belmont is at least 150k more I think
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
Who cares. I'm more concerned with the card than the purse. How much would you like them offer going into the BC?
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
I just would like the route races ti be at least 500k that's all. It is standard. The Ancient Title will be the best betting race. Greatest name ever period in life how could they change that. I would name my first born that if I could. Get away with it.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
I care, as a fan. I want to see fields full of the highest quality stakes horses. The fact the card is indeed intriguing speaks to the betting side of racing. I guess some bettors don't care what the purse of the races are as long as there are full fields. I'm a fan first.