12/06/2014 1:35PM

Popular Louisiana trainer Banks dies

Trainer David Banks collapsed at Evangeline Training Center in Carencro, La., early Saturday morning and later died at a local hospital, confirmed management at the facility and several horsemen. Banks had about 20 horses on the grounds. The 2-year-old filly Ideratherblucky, whom he trained for his sister, Virginia Lazenby, won Thursday at Fair Grounds in New Orleans.

The racing community in Carencro was mourning the loss Saturday. Friends said Banks had moved there about five or six years ago after being based in Kentucky.

“Mr. David was a super guy,” said trainer William Meaux. “Never heard him say a bad word about anybody. Just a great man. A good guy.”
“Just a really good soul,” said trainer Patrick Devereux Jr. “It’s hard to sort out.”

Banks had ridden his pony to the track to train at about 6:30 or 6:45 a.m. and fell from the horse, said A.J. Credeur, general manager of Evangeline Training Center. It was right near the clocker stand, and Haley Granger, a clocker for the facility, immediately began CPR and was soon assisted by on-track paramedics, said Credeur.

“We had official works this morning, so the ambulance was there onsite,” Credeur.

Banks, who is believed to have suffered a heart attack, was transported to Lafayette General Hospital, where he died, confirmed Credeur.

“He’s been a dear friend,” said Creduer. “It’s a great loss. He was an outstanding guy, a stand-up guy. The industry lost a good person.”

Banks, who had trained since at least 1976, was in the midst of a strong year with 19 wins from 124 starters for stable earnings of $416,817.

Some of his better horses through the years included Hardrock Eleven, Ridge Runner, and Paige’s Boo. Friends said Banks is survived by wife Alison Ramsey Banks and an adult son and daughter.

“I think he died doing what he loved in his love for horses,” Credeur said. “He liked being with horses. It’s a great loss. Everybody is just devastated.”

– additional reporting by Marty McGee

Julia Householder More than 1 year ago
I met David may years ago when he first came to KY. It was in the receiving barn at Turfway Park. I had run my horse Alabama Slammer....and David had run a big Chestnut mare in the Mid night Special as we always called the last race. He was always the same...always kind and always friendly... Over the years he was always a person that would help anyone do anything...I remember a seven way shake for a claim at Mountaineer...he called me we had lost the shake ...but won the claim when the other trainer had not filled the form out properly....Shaniowa..was that mare... a friend indeed..he had fun telling me that that night and getting my reaction...can hear him chuckling now.... I do not know anyone who did not think the world of him. I knew he had left KY. Recently I had been wondering if I would see him again,,,he was a wonderful person. Heartfelt sympathy for his family and friends... Hoping the racing in heaven is great my friend
Geneva Mitchell More than 1 year ago
The horse industry has lost a great man. He made my horse racing dreams come true when I couldn' t afford to be in racing. Had alot of good times with David. I will miss you old friend. Sadly missed by Gary & Geneva Mitchell (Kentucky)
Linda Broussard More than 1 year ago
RIP mon ami.
Laura More than 1 year ago
they only have the ambulance there on days when there are official works? because no one is ever injured 'just' jogging or galloping *rolls eyes*
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
This is not the place to post this nonsense. We are mourning the death of a beloved horseman so please do not post that sort of nonsense here