05/04/2014 10:12AM

New York-based Derby runners not expected to go in Preakness

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The three New York-based horses who contested Saturday’s 140th Kentucky Derby were all expected to ship home by Monday, but none of the trio is expected to run back in the May 17 Preakness Stakes at Pimlico, according to their connections.

The Wood Memorial first- and second-place finishers Wicked Strong and Samraat finished noses apart in the Derby when running fourth and fifth, respectively, behind California Chrome. Uncle Sigh, who set the early pace, faded to 14th in the 19-horse field.

Wicked Strong and Uncle Sigh were expected to share a van ride Monday back to Belmont Park. Samraat was going to be flown Monday back to New York along with Todd Pletcher-trained runners Danza, We Miss Artie, and Intense Holiday, who will all be based at Belmont Park. Samraat will be based at Aqueduct.

Trainer Jimmy Jerkens said aside from a scrape on a hock, Wicked Strong came out of his fourth-place finish in the Derby relatively unscathed. Jerkens felt his horse ran well considering all the traffic he had in the stretch, especially when Danza cut in front of him at the eighth pole. He was beaten 5 3/4 lengths.

“I was livid. I thought he had a lot of traffic down the lane,” Jerkens said Sunday morning. “Every time he went to go somewhere, he got shut off. I was really happy to see that he got fourth.”

Regarding the Preakness, Jerkens said, “It doesn’t seem like the right thing to do. Who knows? He might do something when we get back home to make me change my mind.”

Trainer Rick Violette said Samraat put in “a typical Samraat performance. He ran his eyeballs out.”

Violette said he would discuss the Preakness with owner Len Riggio but added, “I would lean toward not running.”

Violette said that if for some reason California Chrome didn’t make the Preakness, he would re-think his position.

“We’re as good as anybody else,” Violette said.

Violette said he would consider the Belmont Stakes for Samraat.

Gary Contessa said Uncle Sigh would likely drop back into an allowance race for his next start after getting beat 16 1/4 lengths in the Derby. Equipped with blinkers for the first time, Uncle Sigh was part of the early pace, running a half-mile in 47.37 seconds and six furlongs in 1:11.80 before dropping back approaching the quarter pole.

Contessa said despite adding the blinkers, he did not want Uncle Sigh on the lead.

“Of all the things I didn’t want to happen, I didn’t want to be on the lead,” said Contessa, lamenting the lack of speed shown by others in the race. “I told Irad [Ortiz] to show a little bit of intent to get position, but let the other speed pass you, and you’ll be in perfect position, but the other speed never materialized.”

Matthew Linda Jr. 12 months ago
Trainers Contessa, Violette and Jerkens, are BETTER than making every excuse possible. California 'JUNIOR' Chrome is simply a MUCH better Thoroughbred than their pretenders. Traffic problems will always be a major factor in a race that has 12 thoroughbreds that don't belong. Go have a beer and WISH Junior 'LUCK'. Jersey Skip
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
Maybe one of the reasons no one can close the triple crown by winning the Belmont stakes is because of lax security and drug testing. Seems like the big New York stables have a monopoly on the race. And all the scrutiny is placed on the horse trying for the triple crown.so watch out for the pletcher.zito,mott horses. A detention barn with a few state troopers and a few inspectors might do the trick.
Greg More than 1 year ago
Iam going to cash in on the state breds races with these horses.
redboy More than 1 year ago
Congrats to Samraat and connections I thought Samraat ran a light out race not giving up 3rd until the final 1/16th No doubt the best is yet to come for this colt .
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
I think Samraat would have a great shot in the Preakness...top 3 finish for sure but I don't blame Violette for wanting to give him a break. He's still flying under the radar but Samraat will be heard from later on.
Marty Averill More than 1 year ago
Chrome's style was perfect for the Derby--track was playing to speed/stalkers, and pace scenario worked out perfectly. Unfortunately for the rest of them, that same style plays even better at the Preakness. Tighter turns, shorter distance, stalkers win there. I think the fact that he fits that race so perfectly is why everyone is waiting for the Belmont.
Ken More than 1 year ago
Marty: the turns at Pimlico are no tighter than CD. Both are identical 1 mile tracks.
Leo More than 1 year ago
about Samraat and Rich Violette , he is a chicken how can you said that only if California Chrome doesn't race , he will consider to ruin Samraat that is chicken !!!!!!! is he afraid of California Chrome ????? yes he is !!!!!V
Stephen Mercier More than 1 year ago
if you don't want the lead then don't put the blinkers on ...DUH
BestBetOfTheDay More than 1 year ago
c'mon Steve, I can think of several valid reasons...u are way off.
Walter More than 1 year ago
CC created his own trip by maintaining his position and blasting away at the far turn to open up an insurmountable lead. Best way you can explain it. All others had their chance and couldn't catch him. There were no trip excuses. Candy got trounced by CC at SA, with zero excuses, he wasn't going to beat him, neither was Wicked Strong. I didn't bet CC, I didn't bet the race. I'm just giving CC his props, he dusted that field.
thomas j More than 1 year ago
To get young horses to run more often, the industry first has to change breeding techniques. The industry started breeding speed into horses over 30 years ago. It will take many years of conscious breeding to go back the other way. Horses don't have stamina bred into them. they have speed---this what we're stuck with until things change. I have a hunch it won't be in our lifetime.