02/04/2016 6:49PM

Midwest Thoroughbreds, trainer Ness end partnership

Tom Keyser
Trainer Jamie Ness

Midwest Thoroughbreds and trainer Jamie Ness, who teamed up in 2009, officially ended their business relationship last week when Midwest sent 26 horses from the Ness barn to other trainers.

Midwest Thoroughbreds is owned by Richard and Karen Papiese, who operate Midwest Store Fixtures in University Park, Ill. Midwest Thoroughbreds was founded in 2001 but expanded exponentially in 2009 with Ness as its major trainer, winning 236 races from 993 starters.

In 2012, Midwest won 542 races, breaking Dan Lasater’s 1974 record of 494 wins in a year by an owner. Ness was the leading trainer in North America that year with 395 victories.

In total, Midwest and Ness won close to 1,600 races together.

“Nothing really happened, it’s just the nature of the business,” Ness said Thursday. “We had a good run. In 2012, when I was training exclusively for them, we had about 100 horses together.”

Midwest now has horses with Tom Amoss, Roger Brueggemann, Armando de la Cerda, Danny Gargan, Bob Hess, and Chris Richard. In 2015, Midwest led the nation in races won for the sixth straight year with 217 victories.

Primarily a claiming stable, Midwest has had amazing success over the past two years with a pair of Illinois-breds trained by Brueggemann – Work All Week, the Eclipse Award-winning male sprinter of 2014, and The Pizza Man, the winner of last year’s Arlington Million and Hollywood Turf Cup. The Pizza Man is scheduled to run Saturday in the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.

Ness, 41, said Thursday he still has about 55 horses in his stable. Ness has won or shared the last nine Tampa Bay Downs training titles and as of Thursday led the standings there by one win. Ness is currently second in the Laurel Park trainers’ standings. Ness won the Delaware Park training title last summer.

“Because Midwest was so big, I’ve had to turn down a lot of good owners over the years,” Ness said. “Right now, I have a lot of owners with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 horses. This could be good for both me and them. I wish them the best of luck. We had a lot of success together.”

Ness has won 2,435 races  and purses of $36.6 million in his career. He has a lifetime win average of 25 percent.

Richard Papiese, through a press representative Thursday, said he would not be available to speak to the media until after The Pizza Man races at Gulfstream on Saturday.

Terry More than 1 year ago
I know some around Tampa Bay Downs speak negatively about Jamie, but those are primarily the ones who try to bet against him to win a few more bucks on their exacta,trifectas and pick 3's. I know a great deal of guys and gals on the backside of TBDowns and they to a person will tell you Jamie is a good guy who is respectful of everyone and makes sure the people and the horses in his barn are given the best while under his care.
For your information...while Ness is a 25% winner lifetime...Midwest is a 26% winner lifetime with ALL trainers. That tells me Ness's record came on the back of Midwest stock.
Chas More than 1 year ago
Too many owners think they know more about this sport then they actually know....and many are also very cheap when it comes to paying day rate....wonder if there will be any follow up this as this is like a pro sports team not bringing back their most successful coach...
Scott Albanese More than 1 year ago
JAMIE IS ONE OF THE MOST HARDEST WORKING HANDS ON TRAINER IN THE BUISNESS.IF ANYBODY IS THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TRAINERS I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM.IN THIS GAME HONESTY AND INTEGRITY IS 90% OF THE GAME AND YOU WONT FIND A BETTER ONE
In this case the owner does know more. He is the one that drives the success, not the trainers. He has revolutionized horse ownership to a way it will work for ownership not a one way street to trainers taking all the money. Day rates are now ridiculous and 97% of owners lose money following trainers advice.
Frank More than 1 year ago
DRF is just like the lying liberal media -- they report only what fits their agenda and suppress the voice of people who disagree or have different views. Its not fact reporting -- its their opinion/agenda. Who would pay for that?
darylsteen More than 1 year ago
Sounds like you're describing that liberal FOXnews
Chas More than 1 year ago
Then what would you call say, MSNBC? Or the main stream media like the NY Times? And the term 'liberal' would not be applied to Fox - they are right wing...liberal is left wing....
banshee More than 1 year ago
25%? a must choice in your P5.
Mark Zamzow More than 1 year ago
Jamie Ness..... one of the good guys.
Frank More than 1 year ago
says who his mother?
Janie Rupp More than 1 year ago
Frank. you are priceless, my same exact thought!!!
John Rebello More than 1 year ago
Then you must like cheaters
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Vince Lentini More than 1 year ago
what you says makes zero sense....
DavidM9999 More than 1 year ago
Gregg makes sense to me. Ness is considered a Superfeed trainer. The definition is not listed in the DRF but should be. The fewer horses I see in with Ness listed as trainer the happier I am as a gambler. Even when I win on Ness I feel like I need a bar of Lava and a shower.
Kenneth R. Wiener More than 1 year ago
Very well said David.
George More than 1 year ago
Ditto! as a handicapper there is nothing I hate more than having to contend with Ness, Broberg and a few others...like, what happened to Scott Lake after DEl kicked him out..still training but no longer the threat he was..
Jon More than 1 year ago
lake doesn't have the owners he used to have Trainers need owners that spend money not claim $5,000 claimers at parx!
banshee More than 1 year ago
I play Pick 5's. I like superfeed trainers. lol
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
I think Midwest is moving toward better stock. Allowance and high priced claimers. While Ness did a great job for them, he's know as a "claiming" horse trainer. By the way, have you ever seen a horse claimed from Ness do well? Not until after a long lay off. I wish him well.
Bob Lunny More than 1 year ago
I think they are looking for more hands on training by the main trainer
Adam More than 1 year ago
I agree with Bruce, they are probably looking to pare down the stable and focus on a higher quality product. I was shocked when I looked up Ness' record, many training titles, almost 2500 wins and ZERO graded stakes wins...
Frank More than 1 year ago
well said Greg I like your idea of eviction.
David Rose More than 1 year ago
Really??!! You're gonna disrespect a man that's in his grave like that? Now that's what I call despicable! RIP Mike Mitchell!
Ronnie Brown More than 1 year ago
Obviously you don't know anything about horse racing. Your talking about hindering a person's living because They have been more successful than others. Idiot!