06/30/2012 8:03PM

Hollywood Park: Jeranimo zooms from last to first in Shoemaker Mile

Benoit & Associates
Garrett Gomez guides Jeranimo to his first career Grade 1 victory in the Shoemaker Mile.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Jeranimo was last of eight on the final turn of Saturday’s $300,000 Shoemaker Mile at Betfair Hollywood Park - and that was fine with red-hot jockey Garrett Gomez.

“I thought, ‘Let’s wind him up, shoot him off the turn, and see what happens,’ ” Gomez recalled.

What happened was Jeranimo’s first win in a Grade 1 race. Rallying wide through the stretch, Jeranimo ($19.60) ran past his rivals to win the turf race by 1 1/4 lengths over the highly regarded Argentine import Suggestive Boy.

Jeranimo was timed in 1:33.97.

“I was glad he ran his race,” Gomez said.

Little Mike, the 8-5 favorite and pacesetter, finished third, followed by Mr. Commons, Corporate Jungle, Dubai You XYZ, Hudson Landing, and Liberian Freighter.

Little Mike, the winner of the Grade 1 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic at Churchill Downs in May, led by a length with a furlong remaining. Mr.

Commons, the 2-1 second choice, raced in traffic briefly in early stretch and was not a threat when clear in the final furlong.

Suggestive Boy made his American debut in the Shoemaker. Trained by Ron McAnally since earlier this year, Suggestive Boy won four Group 1 races in Argentina last year.

The victory by Jeranimo gave the 6-year-old horse a fees-paid berth to the Breeders’ Cup Mile at Santa Anita on Nov. 3. The Shoemaker Mile was part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge program, guaranteeing a berth in the BC Mile to the winner.

Gomez, who won four races on Saturday, rode Jeranimo to a win in the Grade 2 Citation Handicap here last November. Jeranimo lost his first three starts of 2012 before his upset win on Saturday. Gomez rode Jeranimo for the first time this year in the Shoemaker.

“I know the horse a little bit,” Gomez said. “He was a little aggressive going into the first turn, but I let him do his thing.”

Gomez kept Jeranimo toward the inside for the first five furlongs and did not move to the outside of horses until the turn. The victory gave owner B.J. Wright and trainer Mike Pender their sixth graded stakes win in the last year, and left Wright eager for the Breeders’ Cup.

Last fall, Jeranimo, by Congaree, won the Grade 2 Oak Tree Mile on turf at Santa Anita and finished seventh in the BC Mile at Churchill Downs.

Wright is eager to start Jeranimo at Santa Anita this fall.

“We’ve got the home field advantage,” Wright said. “This is a Win and You’re In race and we’ve got Gomez. What’s better than that?”

Todd Elliot More than 1 year ago
mike smith is the don pierce of this era,,,horrible
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
HA HA I called him early last week and he came through nice price!!!
Maria Kern More than 1 year ago
I like Mikey but I think it's time for Mr. Commons to have a new jockey. Sometimes changes are good.
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
OMG WHAT A KICK!!! WOW!!! That was awesome!!!!
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
I love to see the jockeys give their horse some love. :)
Mike Bilinskas More than 1 year ago
I loved Jeronimo in the BC Mile last year, and he got a brutal ride being sent to the lead, they get riders who take him back this year and he's been a different horse
Jack More than 1 year ago
Some Jocks actually COMPLAINED, that as Gomez Blew by them he shouted "JERANIMO"
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
LOL!!!!!
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Now, that's funny! - LOL.
Matt Bernier More than 1 year ago
Let's be real here - Mike Smith's ride was indeed less than stellar, but let's not make it out to be the reason that Mr. Commons lost this race. At the end of the day, Mr. Commons may be the most overrated horse in the country, regardless of surface. There is no doubt he's a talented runner, but the facts are the facts - he is still yet to win a Grade 1 in his career. Why he is consistently bet below 5-2 is beyond me.
Andy More than 1 year ago
Mr. Commons didn't have the same turn of foot as I've seen from him in the past.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
The "turn of foot" Mr. Commons displayed in the G3 Sir Beaufort and his maiden breaker was an illusion. He ran away from Irish Art and Akkadian in those days. Very few horses have burned as much chalk money as Mr. Commons. I hope they drop him into a G2 or G3 so I can try to beat him on the win end again.
Tyren M More than 1 year ago
Not going to dump on Mike Smith. Go-Go is back ready to run the West! With Rosario gone east, I'm looking forward to collecting off Gomez this fall. Santa Anita hosting the Breeders Cup! Can I get odds on the jockey challenge today!?!
Perl More than 1 year ago
How about the ride by bejerano on corporate jungle. Horrible.
Richard Catalano More than 1 year ago
mr. commons needs a new rider, period, enough is enough!
Jack More than 1 year ago
AMEN
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
I really loved this race! Jeranimo went from last to first - Garrett Gomez gave Jeranimo a great ride. In fact, Go-Go had two really big races today, he was in the zone for those two races. He looks like he's enjoying riding again. And Suggestive Boy had a great run to come in to place in the race. The exotics were fab! Good going, Jeranimo, nice win!
Fred Reardon More than 1 year ago
Not to be too factual, but "Go-Go" had four (read:4) wins on the Hollywood - Betfair RaceCard.. But who is actually counting - I had 2 of 'em - errrr, well, that is all!
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
I had two of them today, too. I missed the other two races - I was too busy handicapping and betting at Belmont and Arlington to hit all the races at Betfair today. i was able to catch about half of them at Betfair, though. Today was a very good day!
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
If there's a DRF award for "Stating The Obvious", JJ gets the cake!