12/16/2012 1:59PM

Hollywood Park: Fountain of Youth or Risen Star likely target for Violence

Shigeki Kikkawa
The unbeaten Violence earned a 92 Beyer Speed Figure for his win in the CashCall Futurity.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – The unbeaten Violence, who shipped from New York to California to make off with the Grade 1 CashCall Futurity at Betfair Hollywood Park on Saturday, traveled to Florida on Sunday to begin preparations for his 3-year-old campaign, which is likely to begin with the Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park or the Risen Star at Fair Grounds, both on Feb. 23.

Trainer Todd Pletcher on Sunday said Violence had come out of the CashCall Futurity in “good shape.” He said Violence would be based at the Palm Meadows training center in Florida, where Pletcher keeps his elite runners at this time of year.

“He’ll have a couple of preps” before the Kentucky Derby on May 4, Pletcher said.

Violence received a 92 Beyer Speed Figure for the win.

Violence had defeated maidens at Saratoga and then won the Nashua at Aqueduct in his first two starts. The CashCall Futurity was his first race outside New York, and around two turns, but it was at his third different track. That adaptability is one reason he was sent west.

“He’s the kind of horse that has such a great disposition and good mind that we didn’t think shipping him east to west would bother him at all,” Pletcher said in the winner’s circle on Saturday.

Fury Kapcori, who finished second after attending a sharp early pace, “came out of the race perfect,” Jerry Hollendorfer, his trainer and co-owner, said Sunday morning. “He didn’t have everything ideal, and he still ran well. And Todd’s horse is awfully good. He’s still undefeated.”

Den’s Legacy, who finished third, did the best of the four runners sent out by trainer Bob Baffert, who also finished sixth with Carving, ninth with Really Mr Greely, and 11th and last with Title Contender.

Baffert said all four of his runners were in good condition on Sunday morning, even Title Contender.

“Title Contender got rank and shut down early,” Baffert said. “Really Mr Greely, it was too far for him. Carving, maybe he could have been fourth, but he got knocked around a little bit.

“Den’s Legacy, he ran a good race. Garrett,” Baffert said, referring to jockey Garrett Gomez, “thought maybe he should have stayed on the rail, but he swung out and ended up about six-wide. Maybe that would have made it closer for second. But he wasn’t going to beat the winner. The best horse won.”

Both Fury Kapcori and Den’s Legacy are expected to make their next starts at the upcoming Santa Anita meeting, which opens Dec. 26.

Jordan More than 1 year ago
What made me take note before the race is seeing Pletcher in the Hollywood paddock. Pletcher usually doesn't make the long trip out to Cali and be away from his main string. That, and the fact Violence is a simply amazing looker and that Pletcher had him super fit. Seeing the horse in person for the Cash Call Futurity, Violence is not one of these massive physical specimens. He is more fine and lean, with longish legs. His head is sharp and he was attentive but relaxed. Pletcher mentioned his temperment and ability to ship as reasons for coming out to Cali. I think it's a huge deal to learn that a Derby prospect has a good mind and that the horse can ship.
B More than 1 year ago
He's the most interesting 2 year old that I've seen this year, but it's still very early.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Violence is a very good horse at this stage, and has passed all the tests thus far. He was maybe a little too close to that pace, and with making that move around the turn he had excuses to tire in the lane. But the final sixteenth was quite respectable. However, many tests still remain. Fury Kapcori ran extremely well, disposing of the Baffert speed, opening up, and then fighting Violence to the wire. Over a track that doesn't play fast and is usually brutal to fast paced speed duels around 2 turns, Fury Kapcori is the type of one-paced speed horses that typically stretch out better than one might think. Den's Legacy is most likely a turf-synth horse, and he had every benefit of the pace. The top 2 were much the best. I'm sure Baffert will try him in a dirt stakes.
Frank More than 1 year ago
Good name and very good horse. They dont usually go cross country this young and win Grade Is unless they are real special. More to come with this one.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Are we really crying about the name of a horse now in the wake of what goes on in the HUMAN world? Naming a horse such a name is tough. It has nothing to do with what is going on. SANE MINDED PEOPLE dont have a problem with little things in life such as this. Get a grip folks.
illhaveanother9 More than 1 year ago
Would you have a problem if the horse was named "Jihad"? "KKK"? Most sane people would. Just because the name doesn't offend you, does not mean that it doesn't offend others. Horse Racing is shown in a negative light so often, that we don't need a horse named Violence on the Derby Trail. The Jockey Club messed up allowing the name, and the owners should step up and request a change. The name "Violins" sounds about the same as "Violence", and is guaranteed not to offend.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
If they allowed Mortar Forker why wouldn't they allow this.
Mark More than 1 year ago
How about Chicksdigtheshark. Ran somewhere last week. Had tv on otb channel wasnt paying attention but heard the call. I couldnt believe it. Made me laugh. Imo lots more to worry about than a name of a horse.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Race 8 December 8 th Hollywood. Chicksdigtheshark
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Quite a few years ago, the farm called me to let me know one of my mares dropped a filly. The next day they called me back to tell me it was a colt, not a filly. Aside from how that mistake could be made, this event compelled me to name the colt, Phil E. Myass. I dropped the idea when I was advised that the jockey club would not approve it.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Pletcher barn LOADED!
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
You heard it here. Violence is a significantly stronger, classier horse than Shanghai. If you disagree, Im not going to begin to show you why because I don't want you to swing your money from Shanghai to my angle out of respect to my handicapping. If any of you followed my comments leading to CCF, I tried to tell you how weak the BC Juve came back. I made a one word comment...."Violence". You didnt listen and made Hes had Enough way too short of a horse. Hows YOUR bankroll doing?
Mark More than 1 year ago
Huh? What? Must have me confused with someone else.
Mark More than 1 year ago
to Not buying the bc field. Dont think many if any will factor come may . Kieren colt maybe? I think violence is the horse who has been facing and beating the tougher fields. I know that titletown five is highly regarded as is the horse he broke his maiden against at Churchill in his last. Add that to the fact Pletcher sends violence out across country makes him my selection. And that baffert sends 4 lends me to think its like having 2 quarterbacks in the nfl. Neither of them or all 4 of them in bafferts case are that good. Posted this two days prior to the ccf. So ummm. Yeah.
illhaveanother9 More than 1 year ago
Change the name to Violence Awareness, Violins, or Violets. Great horse, terrible name.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Thats an AWESOME name.
B More than 1 year ago
I agree. It is an awesome name!
Perl More than 1 year ago
Violence is a hideous name for a horse.
Ed Gredvig More than 1 year ago
How about changing the horse's name to Newtown?
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Baffert Quote..... "The best horse won".