02/28/2011 2:06PM

Drosselmeyer will not race in Dubai World Cup

Email
Barbara D. Livingston
Drosselmeyer has been ruled out of this year's Dubai World Cup, trainer Bill Mott said Monday.

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Trainer Bill Mott confirmed Monday that 2010 Belmont Stakes winner Drosselmeyer would not run in this year’s $10 million Dubai World Cup as originally planned.

Drosselmeyer, who worked a half-mile in 50 seconds at Payson Park on Monday, missed six days of training after contracting a mild temperature earlier this month, forcing Mott to scratch his horse out of the Mineshaft at Fair Grounds on Feb. 12.

“He worked this morning and I’m very happy with it, but we’re not going to the World Cup,” Mott said Monday. “He just got pushed too far back in his training to make that race.”

DUBAI RACING CARNIVAL: Past performances, race analysis, and results

Mott said Drosselmeyer, who has not raced since the Belmont, could return Saturday in the $60,000 Challenger Stakes at 1 1/16 miles at Tampa Bay Downs.

“We just need to get started, and if all goes well we’ll look down the road to races like the Oaklawn Handicap or New Orleans Handicap,” Mott said.