10/28/2013 10:59AM

Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile: Graydar to miss race with quarter crack

Tom Keyser
Graydar wins the Grade 2 Kelso Invitational last month in his most recent start.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Graydar, who likely would have been the favorite in the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile on Friday, was declared out of the race Monday because of a quarter crack in his left front hoof, according to a press release from Twin Creeks Racing Stables, which owns the 4-year-old colt.

The injury is believed to be minor enough to allow Graydar to run in the Grade 1, $500,000 Cigar Mile on Nov. 30 at Aqueduct, trainer Todd Pletcher said in the release.

“We believed Graydar had a huge chance in the Breeders’ Cup,” Pletcher said. “This is a setback, but hopefully he can be 100 percent for the Cigar Mile.”

Graydar, a speedy, gray colt by Unbridled’s Song, has won five of his six career starts, including his last four, a streak that includes scores in the Grade 1 Donn in February, the Grade 2 New Orleans Handicap in March, and the Grade 2 Kelso at Belmont Park in September. He has earned $841,560 for Twin Creeks, a partnership managed by Randy Gullatt in Versailles, Ky.

Graydar had been seriously considered for the $5 million BC Classic before it was announced last week that he was going in the Dirt Mile.

The defection of a likely BC favorite was the second in a span of 48 hours, following the tragic euthanization of Points Offthebench after his breakdown Saturday in a workout at Santa Anita. Points Offthebench likely would have been favored in the Sprint.

[BREEDERS’ CUP 2013: Fields with DRF odds and comments]

mikey More than 1 year ago
Another notch on TP's gun.He still has 5 day's to have Verrazano out of the race
Justin Mato More than 1 year ago
you know pletcher is up to no good when castellano has the mount on glorified claimer last gunfighter for the classic
Chris Larkin More than 1 year ago
Not to jinx you, GJ, but I love your horse. My key, maybe even my downright single. Gotta go --- GEICO calling.
Justin Mato More than 1 year ago
Graydar is more injury prone than RG3. Retire him before he actually does have a breakdown
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
And RG3 as well, he was awful sunday
Guy John More than 1 year ago
The Valor horse will win the Mile. Improving horse and Alan Garcia will have a nice BC to go along with Real Solution in the Turf.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Umm wrong and wrong. Garcia got replaced on real solution.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Real Solution will need to hop on a horse van to get the final 3 furlongs in the turf. He wants no part of 12f.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
They said the same thing about little Mike Perl
Paul Aussenhofer More than 1 year ago
Why is it that anytime a horse from a TP or BB stable has a problem it is always the trainers fault. The biggest trainers have the main owners who spend millions or dollars on their horses. Do you really think these owners willingly risk their horses with trainers who do not take the care of their investments. Quarter cracks happen. And unfortunately so do breakdowns. To blame the trainers is a cheap excuse that doesn't hold up. Just my opinion.
Amy Hurley More than 1 year ago
Well said. Thank you. Part of the problem may be that TP and BB have so many prominent horses that any physical problems with those horses naturally receives more media coverage. Then again, obviously some people are just haters, and impartial assessment is not their strong suit.
William More than 1 year ago
I would be willing to bet the % of TP and BB horses that breakdown is far less than the rest of the trainers combine. Its only that they train the best horses and its always in the limelight when one of theirs breaksdown.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
Hurts the price on Goldencents. Graydar wasn't winning anyways. Goldencents on the cutback and he doesn't have to deal with the gone, but not forgotten Points OffTheBench.
are you talking about two races at once? I am lost at your comparison. he would be extending in the mile not cutting back and points off the bench was in the sprint. If you are saying that he should run in the sprint not the dmile what does Graydar have to do with anything?
Jd Staton More than 1 year ago
he does seem to have more problems then most trainers but you have to consider he also has probably the biggest stable in the world so hes going have more issues. and it always seems to be a good horse but he also has a lot of good horses
Justin Mato More than 1 year ago
If Todd Pletcher owned a racetrack, he would name it Break Downs!
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
How is a minor quarter crack, given a little time to heal, a breakdown?
Bugsy Anderson More than 1 year ago
Weak joke
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
This horse didn't breakdown and if you factor in how many horses he trains you'll come up with a number that is on par or below the average. I'm not a fan, but the guy can train.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Some one use that joke before. Originality please
mikey More than 1 year ago
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
No problem Mikey
Mark More than 1 year ago
And you must be broke as a spoke betting against.
mikey More than 1 year ago
Nice try i put that out 8 weeks ago, but you are right
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Goldencents key in exacta, Verrazano wont hit board.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I'm with ya buddy on the win end with Goldencents. I'm not sure Verazzano won't hit the board, but I will say it ain't winning. I think Secret Circle is the play in the sprint now that POB is no longer with us. He fast, tactical and looks to finish well. I thnk he is definitely the horse to beat.
edb More than 1 year ago
I am a fan of Gc, but worried about his recent 2nditis. Like that his best races were at SA. Like Brujo and Fed Biz in ex box. Put Bobby's Kitten on top and Clenor on bottom of pick 3 and I think you're cooking. Verrazano will be taking alot of money, so odds will be nice.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
That is a good pick 3. Bruno and fed biz I like as well.
B More than 1 year ago
I think Verazzano is a near lock in this race especially with Graydar out. Under a mile and a quarter, he seems to me to be sensational.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
No locks this year in classic. Verrazano won stakes races stalking 30 -1 going 48/49 change. Dirt mile 46 half mile easily. Goldencents home track or closer. Moreno showed me everything I need to know about Verrazano. If pace setter keeps going toward to long he bails out. Good horse might win., I will pass
Mark More than 1 year ago
You are going to lose your shirt .
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
I can afford, $50. But thanks for caring Marky.LOL
The loss of Graydar helps Verrazano"s style, but hopefully for me that he doesn't get the easy lead. He is not running against a nothing field where the second place horse breaks down. The 3 yr olds have been up and down this year and prime time has not been his specialty. Don't like any of the 3 yr olds against older horses, but going a mile does help his case. Let's all have a profitable two days.
Perl More than 1 year ago
VZ is one of the reasons I'll be passing on this race. I would never bet him in a million years but he is capable of blowing this field's doors off. Oh well. I'll be happy for Mark if he wins.
JJIII2 More than 1 year ago
Damn that was one of my singles in the pick 4 and pick 6, ticket will be a lot more now
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Goldencents or royal delta are good singles. Royal delta may not win but itbis a quality pick. I am not betting the distaff at all