06/11/2013 5:42PM

Belmont Park: Mucho Macho Man returns to races Friday

Adam Coglianese
Mucho Macho Man, with trainer Kathy Ritvo, has not raced since being eased in the Sunshine Millions Classic.

Mucho Macho Man, a close second to Fort Larned in last year's Breeders' Cup Classic, makes his first start since January in Friday's third race at Belmont Park, a $90,000 overnight stakes at 1 1/16 miles over the main track.

The 5-year-old son of Macho Uno has been off since being pulled up in the stretch of the Sunshine Millions Classic Jan. 19 at Gulfstream Park. Mucho Macho Man, the heavy 2-5 favorite, was sitting right off the pace to the far turn of the nine-furlong race when he suddenly began to back up over the sloppy track. Rider Mike Smith eased  his mount to the wire. Trainer Kathy Ritvo said Mucho Macho Man vetted out fine after the race, but decided to give him a break through the winter.

Mucho Macho Man has been breezing steadily since early April at the Fair Hill training center in Maryland and comes into Friday's race off two bullet works. He will face a short field of four in his return but will not be lacking for competition. He will face Hymn Book, a Shug McGaughey-trained 7-year-old, who was recently third to Take Charge Indy in the Alysheba at Churchill Downs, and San Pablo a Grade 3 winner from the Todd Pletcher barn.

J.L. Boey More than 1 year ago
Easy exacta: the field over MMM
Ann Maree More than 1 year ago
Cannot believe such poor reporting. No wonder no one would sign their name to this. No mention of his illness. The way it was reported here, it was as if he just blew the race in the Millions. Here's wishing one of my favorite horses the best, and I hope he gets to the Breeders Cup this fall...he very nearly beat Fort Larned and ran a brave second in 2012. Jeeeeez! Didn't get your Wheaties when you sat down and wrote this?
scott More than 1 year ago
no mention of what illness?
scott More than 1 year ago
more to the story and they don't even mention it? would I be surprised..... no.
Steve Seger More than 1 year ago
He didn't have any illness. The Millions race was a fix job. Smith pulled him back , and quit at 2-5 odds.The reporter isn't going to tell you the race was fixed. I am surprised, that you fell for the injury scam.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Like this comment x100
Wouldn't it have been nice if somewhere in here the DRF might have mentioned it is the Criminal Type Stakes?
Steve Seger More than 1 year ago
Very well said. I can't believe some readers on here actually fell for the injury scam. Smarten up , unless your just a horse lover, and not a bettor, then you may not know about race fixing.
Eric Singer More than 1 year ago
This horse, although obviously a top class performer, has a willingness to settle for 2nd - or when he's asked the question he doesn't always answer. I am happy to see him back and hope that all his photo finishes will be winning ones.
Lenny Flynn More than 1 year ago
Smith should be on the horse end of discussion. Prado? Wow. Good Luck though, love the horse
Terri Zeitz More than 1 year ago
On Mucho Macho Man's Facebook page, Finn Green, the stable manager for the owners {the Reeves} discusses his illness and comeback.
Terri Zeitz More than 1 year ago
Mucho Macho Man had acquired a virus and subsequently had a lung infection. He went to Fair Hill to overcome his illness and was treated in the hyperbaric chamber. Many thanks to his wonderful connections for their patience, wonderful treatment, and for keeping him in the game. I met his owners and trainer at Gulfstream. They are all first class. And I'm happy that Edgar Prado has been working on MMM and now will race him. Prado races at the tracks MMM gets stabled at, so he can continue to ride him in the am.
Nick Petro More than 1 year ago
No. I ride macho in the am. And work him. Thank you
Steve Morehouse More than 1 year ago
If you work him every morning why not get a chance to race him in the p.m. ?
Nick Petro More than 1 year ago
too heavy
Gunner More than 1 year ago
good to see the 3M back, the works have gotten steadily better, doesn't really have to win in this spot, just run well.
Bob More than 1 year ago
He never does win. Of course he needs to win.
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
Very good to see him back in action. One of my favorite horses. And returning on the same day as Paynter. I doubt either of them will get much of a price, but sometimes it's about more than just money. It will be Good Friday on my calendar.
Deepak Ramlatchan More than 1 year ago
I thought he was going to go by Ft Larned at every point in the stretch. P4 and P6 riding on him. Was not to be. That's the game. I hope FT comes back good too. I liked him a lot in SA but you can't bet them all.
Kelsey More than 1 year ago
Nice comment. Any track that runs horses and offers pari-mutual wagering is a place of spiritual worship indeed.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Nice post. I agree!
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Nice post, zerosumzen. I agree with you. Friday will be a very good day.