07/13/2013 5:54PM

Belmont Park: Boisterous gets his Grade 1 win in Man o' War

Michael Amoruso
Boisterous, under John Velazquez, got his first Grade 1 victory in his fifth attempt when he took the Man o' War on Saturday at Belmont Park.

ELMONT, N.Y. – As he headed toward the Belmont Park winner’s circle following Saturday’s Grade 1 Man o’ War, someone yelled to Shug McGaughey, the trainer of the victorious Boisterous, to smile.

“I said, ‘You know what? I am going to smile on this one because this horse deserved a Grade 1,’ ” McGaughey said.

Pinch hitting for his more celebrated but injured stablemate, Point of Entry, Boisterous finally got his first Grade 1 victory by running past Twilight Eclipse in the final furlong en route to a 2 1/4-length win in the $600,000 Man o’ War at Belmont.

Twilight Eclipse, who wrested a short lead from Speaking of Which in upper stretch, finished second, a half-length in front of Exclusive Strike. Finnegans Wake, Optimizer, Al Khali, Speaking of Which, and Folk Singer completed the order of finish.

It was the 11th win from 25 starts for Boisterous, a 6-year-old son of Distorted Humor who has won eight stakes, seven of which are graded. However, he had been winless in four prior Grade 1 tries. The $360,000 first-place prize pushed his earnings to $1,297,910.

“I’m tickled to death, not for me, but for the horse,” McGaughey said.

John Velazquez, who won his first Man o’ War, gave Boisterous a patient ride, sitting fifth early, while Folk Singer set the pace, chased by Speaking of Which and Twilight Eclipse.

Around the far turn, Velazquez moved inside of Optimizer, and those two ran in tandem to the quarter pole. While Optimizer failed to go on, Boisterous did, overtaking Twilight Eclipse, who had overtaken Speaking of Which in upper stretch.

Boisterous covered the 1 3/8 miles over good turf in 2:14.11 and returned $5.10 as the favorite.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better trip,” said Velazquez, who also won Saturday’s $100,000 Solar Splendor Stakes with Notacatbutallama. “When I asked him to run, he was there instantly. It was very nice. I was anticipating [the pace] was going to be a little quicker, but I didn’t think three horses would go, so it worked out perfect.”

Owner Ogden Mills “Dinny” Phipps said he was happy for Boisterous to get his first Grade 1 win but expressed a tinge of sadness that Point of Entry, who won last year’s Man o’ War for the Phipps-McGaughey team, couldn’t run in this race due to injury. Point of Entry, who won last month’s Grade 1 Manhattan here, could be back in the fall.

“It makes up for some, but I’d like to have Point of Entry back,” Phipps said. “I think he’s the best horse in the country this year, and I hope he gets to prove it.”

As for Boisterous, options for his next race include the Sword Dancer at Saratoga, the Arlington Million in Chicago, and the Pacific Classic at Del Mar, according to McGaughey.

RockaFelter21 More than 1 year ago
race wasn't a grade 1 and anyone that knows racing should know this..
Mark More than 1 year ago
Agree 100%
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Unfortunately the race "grading" does not change at the time of the running based on who is entered. The gradings are reviewed, and some changed, yearly. Anyone that knows racing should know this too. An inconvevnient fact. Sorry
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Big deal. He wins a G1 where Optimizer was 8-5.. Who else was he beating? Only 7 others? He should prove himself against a bigger quality field. What a fraud.... Sounds silly, doesn't it?....Congrats to Shug and Boistrous on their G1 win. LOL,OMG,LMAOF,etc.........
Mark More than 1 year ago
Lol . How many grade 1 winners he beat yesterday?
Mark More than 1 year ago
I'm glad he won vs this sad field . Ensures huge underlay like dude when they face real grade 1 horses.
Mr. Ed More than 1 year ago
Boisterous as expected. But, I thought Optimizer, the horse that ran second to Wise Dan, was in this race and the real competition to Boisterous. He was in the race? Never mind.
Forego137 More than 1 year ago
He hit the nail on the head when speaking of Point Of Entry as being the best horse in racing, I see the injury is still very fustrating to not be able to prove it, we still have the B.C. Turf @Santa Anita for his year end goal to showcase his talent, lets hope he makes it because he will be posing in the winners circle if he does make it.
Perl More than 1 year ago
He'll be an underlay coming in off the injury.
russell More than 1 year ago
For decades the Phipps stable was known for its great fillies and mares. Now the boys are having their run.
mrm More than 1 year ago
His horse just won a Gr 1 and all he could say was he wished POE was able to run. Talk about being spoiled.
Dave More than 1 year ago
I'd really love to see POE vs Wise Dan at 1 1/8. Probably will never actually happen. Wish it hadn't rained at Churchill on Derby Day it would have been some throwdown!
jttf More than 1 year ago
a grade 1, $600,000 purse and the top three older horses did not use lasix at the age of two. it is just too easy to handicap these days.
B More than 1 year ago
By that, I mean I think Boisterous is getting better as he gets older and stronger. We whine, weep and argue over three year olds all of the time, because most don't live up to our expectations, but they are still just babies learning their ways and many would have terrific careers if they weren't retired so early before they gain more strength and experience. It's really a shame.
B More than 1 year ago
Nice performance. Horse has a bright future, but I agree with Phipps. I too think Point of Entry is the best horse in the country when not injured.