05/03/2012 10:35AM

2012 Kentucky Derby: Union Rags's post okay after all, Matz says

Union Rags got post 4 for the Kentucky Derby.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - At first, trainer Michael Matz wasn’t so thrilled with Union Rags's draw of post 4 for Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, believing he might be down too far inside. But upon further review, Matz thinks it might not be such a bad post after all.

[KENTUCKY DERBY: Get PPs, watch analysis video, read latest updates]

Noting that two of the three horses drawn inside of him - Daddy Long Legs and Optimizer - and the horse drawn immediately to his outside - Dullahan - are void of speed, Matz expects jockey Julien Leparoux to be able to get Union Rags away from the gate in good order find a good position just behind the speed.

“Julien’s going to have come and let him run a little bit, but I don’t think that’s the worst thing in the world,” Matz said. “My original thought, I wasn’t crazy about it, but the way everybody is, I don’t think it’s so bad.”

On Friday, Matz was all smiles after Union Rags had a solid gallop over the Churchill main track in which he wanted to go get the horses that were galloping in front of him.

“I couldn’t be happier,” Matz said. “He needs to run.”

Ron Gillaspie More than 1 year ago
Not thrilled with the post but the plan for Union Rags to be close up (not worst than 3rd or 4th) down the backstretch) puts him in an ideal spot to pull away down the stretch. Union Rags by 5 or 6 is my thought. Nothing has been closing from far back all week. You gotta be in the top 4 turning for home.
mace More than 1 year ago
Leparoux lo vas a cacar otra ves
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
I love Rags. Rider needs to be alert this trip...
Wesley White More than 1 year ago
He needs to run the mile and a half that his stride suggests.
Roger More than 1 year ago
He needs to run the mile to the mile and sixteenth his pedigree suggests.
David Rose More than 1 year ago
SAME CAN BE SAID FOR HANSEN ROGER!
Kimberly Shugars More than 1 year ago
David, Agreed, Hansen will be done by the eigth pole, especially if he goes after Trinniberg. Gemologest and Bodemeister, maybe Take Charge Indy will be forwardly placed, hopefully with Rag's tracking them. Take a look at Tapits progeny, nothing beyond a 1 1/8th mile. Regarding Rag's pedigree, Why is it that people keep ignoring the fact that his second dam set track records at 11 and 13 furlongs. His third dam Glad Rags won the 1000 guineas in England and was champion 2 yr old filly in Ireland.His Broodmare sire, Gone West produced horses who won at well over 10 furlongs including Marsh Side, Came Home and Johar. HIs second damsire is the GREAT Nijinsky. I think he is going to excell at a classic distance. Remember these are ALL young horses, This will only be Union Rag's 7th career start, also third start off the layoff, which I love. He looks fabulous and is training like gangbusters. I see nothing that makes me think this horse is not capable of winning at 10 furlongs.
Barbara Hawkins More than 1 year ago
They also said Afleet Alex and Seattle Slew did not have the pedigree, but both horses proved them wrong.