03/24/2013 5:09PM

Santa Anita: Calidoscopio raced in Tokyo City Cup with minor injury

Shigeki Kikkawa
Tokyo City Cup winner Sky Kingdom is likely to switch from dirt to turf for the San Juan Capistrano Handicap on April 21.

Calidoscopio, the winner of the Breeders’ Cup Marathon here last November, finished fifth in Saturday’s Tokyo City Cup despite grabbing a quarter in training the previous day, trainer Mike Puype said.

Puype said Calidoscopio was evaluated and a decision made that he was capable of running.

“I thought we’d done enough” treatment, Puype said. “I would have scratched him if I didn’t think he was good.”

A 10-year-old Argentine-bred horse, Calidoscopio, the 5-2 favorite, finished 9 1/2 lengths behind race winner Sky Kingdom, closing from last to be nearest to the leader at the finish.

“The pace was dawdling,” Puype said. “They walked and kicked home.”

Sunday, Puype’s focus was improving the condition of Calidoscopio’s foot.

“His foot is really sore today,” Puype said. “I’ve got to get the soreness out.”

Sky Kingdom, trained by Baffert, could make his next start on turf, possibly in the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap over about 1 3/4 miles on turf on April 21. By Empire Maker out of the Kingmambo mare Sky Beam, Sky Kingdom won his first stakes in the Tokyo City.

“He’s bred for the grass,” Baffert said.

Baffert had two wins on Saturday. He won a seven-furlong maiden race with Zee Bros, a colt by Brother Derek.

Zee Bros won by 2 1/2 lengths in 1:22.08, earning a strong Beyer Speed Figure of 101. “He’s fast,” Baffert said.

Code West, second in the Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds on Feb. 23, worked five furlongs in 1:00.20 at Santa Anita on Sunday.

Trained by Bob Baffert, Code West will start as a top contender in Saturday’s Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds.

Delrene Sims More than 1 year ago
This beautiful 10 year old that I saw run his heart out at the Breeder's Cup deserves better treatment. It had to hurt like the devil. Very difficult to believe this is acceptable by the stewards, the vets and the CHRB. This absolutely must be investigated.
Peter Kass More than 1 year ago
What planet are you on? Im sure didn't hurt like the Devil, but maybe just maybe the Dickens. Golly gee willickers.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Did a little looking and here's what I found... CHRB Rule #1902.5 'Animal Welfare' and yes there have been suspensions for violations of this rule.
Greg Scherr More than 1 year ago
I am appalled that the track vet let him run, I heard the guys on TVG saying they knew he was hurt how could the stewards and vet let him run! This is just wrong on every level, I agree Puype deserves a large fine and suspension
Peter Kass More than 1 year ago
For what reason should he be suspended? How do you justify your ignorant comment? Maybe you should be suspended, or at least fined for your ignorance?
Ziggy Pop More than 1 year ago
That is bad, bad, bad. 10 years old and ran him hurt anyway. That is exactly the kind of thing that is killing the industry.
KissmeCatexoxo More than 1 year ago
F*****IN' RETIRE HIM ! He is 10 years old and won you a Breeder's Cup !
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Make Puype get Horses' feet healthy first.
genewashington1 More than 1 year ago
Nice to know now. What a sport!!!
Kendra Mcallister More than 1 year ago
Nobody said Pupye was smart, he's a horse trainer not a brain surgeon lot less education
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
'No hoof - no horse.' It don't take even a tree surgeon to know that.
Rob Persaud More than 1 year ago
there needs to be some kind of suspension.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
That was my first thought but I do not know Cali rules read. I guess the CHRB(?) would have the answer...
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
This guy Puype hurts the Horse and then moans that he's gotta help him heal. He's just joined the lowest of the low.
mfunicello More than 1 year ago
Racing needs someone, anyone who can control these things, protect the game, make all jurisdictions the same. If not, I fear the fans will finally say enough is enough.