Updated on 10/09/2012 11:44AM

Keeneland: Wise Dan dominant in Shadwell Turf Mile

Keeneland/Coady Photography
With Jose Lezcano riding, Wise Dan powers home in the Shadwell Turf Mile.

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Eliciting superlatives once more, Wise Dan dominated the Grade 1 Shadwell Turf Mile on a sunny day at Keeneland to entrench himself further as quite possibly the best horse in North America this year.

With Jose Lezcano keeping the 5-year-old gelding out of trouble throughout the trip, Wise Dan circled into contention leaving the final turn and powered to a 2 1/4-length triumph in the $750,000 Shadwell, the richest race of the Keeneland fall meet.

Wise Dan returned $3.20 after finishing in 1:34.94 over a firm course. Willcox Inn, a 48-1 shot, ran on to be second, another 2 3/4 lengths before Slip and Drive, a 100-1 shot. Doubles Partner was fourth in the field of 12.

"I really liked how he relaxed today," said an ecstatic Charlie Lopresti, who trains Wise Dan for owner-breeder Morton Fink. "He's good. He's really good."

Wise Dan now has won 4 of 5 starts this year and will head to Santa Anita as the likely favorite for the Nov. 3 Breeders' Cup Mile, a race that Lopresti said he and Fink are "leaning toward" in favor of the BC Classic the same day.

[Breeders’ Cup Challenge 2012: Replays of all the Win and You’re In races]

"He keeps showing us how good he is on the grass," said Lopresti. "We'll keep our options open for the Classic, but right now I think we'd go in the Mile."

The Shadwell was a Win and You're In event toward the BC Mile, so entry fees and shipping expenses will be paid for the trip to California.

Wise Dan, a Kentucky-bred by Wiseman's Ferry, has now had 19 races, winning 12, several of them in eye-popping fashion. He has regularly earned some of the highest Beyer Speed Figures in North America this year, including a 117 in the Ben Ali over the Keeneland Polytrack in April. The $450,000 winner's share lifted his career bankroll to $2,461,638.

On a cool but bright afternoon, and before an ontrack crowd of 22,292,Wise Dan rated in fifth through the early going while Lezcano made sure to keep him out of trouble. Down the backstretch, Lezcano maneuvered him to the outside, and after that, it was all clear sailing. They began picking off rivals one by one, getting past the fading early leader, Silver Max, and then Dominus, before quickly speeding away with powerful strides and opening up 3 1/2 lengths passing the furlong pole.

"I got a very good trip," said Lezcano, who was filling in for regular rider John Velazquez, who was otherwise occupied at Belmont Park.

After the top four, the full order was Data Link, Dominus, Corporate Jungle, Swift Warrior, Silver Max, Skyring, Worthadd, and Ol Army.

The $2 exacta (5-4) paid $66, the $1 trifecta returned (5-4-8) returned $963.80, and the dime superfecta was worth $560.66.

Mike Caiazzo More than 1 year ago
No mention of Executiveprivilege? Too early? I may have a west coast bias - Game On Dude beating out Richard's Kid .... ? We are talking about JUST this year right? Where are my Del Mar / Santa Anita brethren? Oh, I also see some comments about Southern California tracks being highways ... maybe it's the horses? Pools don't make Michael Phelps faster, his training and better competition do. I guess I "trolled" here enough ... I need to go to bed ... already have a dozen crappy $5k Pennsylvania races lined up for tomorrow morning ... I hate Tuesdays - see you Thursday in Arcadia, CA where it should be 72 and sunny. All in good fun .... MC
Frank More than 1 year ago
Horse of Year - No horse has done more this year in North American and laid it on the line more!
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
Dave, as a fan of betting, i'd rather take the "single" in the Mile for the P6.
Dave More than 1 year ago
I have to think with their entry free to the Mile being paid, they will cross-enter in the Classic. Of course no one could ever criticize them for choosing the Mile with the way Wise Dan runs on turf. But the Mile is often a crazy race, if he draws a tough post I think they should take a long look at the Classic. This horse is no slouch on dirt. As a fan of racing, I hope they go in the Classic. Either way, a nice decision to have on your hands!
Infinity More than 1 year ago
I want to strangle romans for putting dullahan on that swamp in NY--a really bad thing for this poly specialist. Wise dan is really nice.
Mike Caiazzo More than 1 year ago
Saw that horse win the Pacific out here in San Diego ... beat out a good horse in "Game On Dude" ... amongst others.
Leonard More than 1 year ago
charlie lopresti must now that jose lozcano is the best turf rider in the country. bar none!!! maybe the best rider in the country!!!
Mike Caiazzo More than 1 year ago
I am a west coast guy so I like Joe Talamo on the turf out here. Lozcano is at the top his game and a fine rider indeed.
AZ Wildcat More than 1 year ago
While everybody is falling all over themselves on Wise Dan, you better take a look at California turfer Obviously who just ran a 1:31/4, and ran 1:32 flat and 1:32/2 in his two races before that. Running down Silver Max is one thing, running down one that is running sub 1:32s is a whole nother kettle of fish.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
I think for those who wager, this could be solid exacta. Obviously is nice, but Dan a turf monster. Should get HOY. Dirt, synthetic, turf. None have that re su me
Perl More than 1 year ago
Please bet obviously in the bc mile. Make him the favorite because of his fast raw time.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
In California......... He will get hammered enough to get me overlay odds on Dan, at which time, I make a HUGE score.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
Is the horse in jail? When does "time" matter?? Wise Dan clicked out an 11 and change from 6 to 7f marker while wide at KEENELAND, not the super hwy west coast turf courses that Obviously runs on. Then he came home is 12 and 1/5. A definate SINGLE in the Mile.
David Robinson More than 1 year ago
gee i saw this comment somewhere else
Mike Caiazzo More than 1 year ago
Agreed ... just saw the replay ... that horse beat out some good ones in the Arroyo Seco Stakes. Funny, I had Kettle Corn winning there.... (not funny for my roll tho).
richard montgomery More than 1 year ago
Ok...Court Vision won the BC mile last year. Dangerous Midge won the BC Turf in 2010. English Channel won in 07'. Kip Deville won the BC mile in 07' also-all American turf horses. Goldikova won the BC mile 3 years in a row 08'-10, Conduit won the BC Turf 08-09'- where is the Euro dominance? Seems pretty equal to me.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
look at the % of horses entered
richard montgomery More than 1 year ago
One thing I have noticed is that horses are called Euros or Americans....but really why call Daddy Nose Best a Euro or a turfer? His sire was American dirt runner Scat Daddy. Lots of American sires in Europe, then their offspring come over and win theyre euro dominant...anyway theyre all thoroughbreds and it wouldbe difficult to find any modern day euro runners who havent been influenced by american sires,ie Danzig, Northern Dancer,etc.
Derek More than 1 year ago
Very true Richard.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
Euro campaigned is the theme. Not the big drug problem as over here and vastly different training methods
PeterG More than 1 year ago
So who's that guy that said Lezcano was a horrible jockey and would get this horse into trouble in this race? Oh yea, now I remember, it was SAT.CUSTOMER.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
Anyone can ride this super horse. last year Lezcano lost the mount on Winter Memories,for the horses physical well being
PeterG More than 1 year ago
You're a clown. Lezcano is one of the best jockeys in this country. He's a high winning percentage jock with some of the best return on investment numbers in the game , which means he's not winning with all favorites , and he's doing it on the toughest circuit. Lezcano was a 21% jockey this summer at Belmont and 50% in the Top 3.. Get a clue guy.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
He's 13% this meet,you piece of chit. He's 16% for the year. lying idiot. and appx 40% in the money. He's a 2nd level jock,not an insult just the truth.
PeterG More than 1 year ago
I guess you can't read either besides being dumb.. I said "this summer". From April 27th to July 15th he was a 21% jockey at Belmont. 43 winners from 202 mounts. And again, his ROI numbers are very good. You can find it here. http://www.equibase.com/stats/View.cfm?tf=meet&tb=jockey
PeterG More than 1 year ago
Lezcano was 18% at Gulfstream this past winter. (12/3/11 thru 4/8/12). 53 winners from 288 mounts. http://www.equibase.com/stats/View.cfm?tf=meet&tb=jockey
Perl More than 1 year ago
I would agree that Wise Dan is an easy horse to ride. Lezcano kept him out of trouble and made a wide, somewhat premature move that would get many a horse beat. But Wise Dan would make most jocks look good. As for Lezcano, no comment on his overall abilities.
HandicapperErni More than 1 year ago
I don't think there was anything wrong with Jose Lezcano's ride at all with Wise Dan. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Lezcano wouldn't get it back since John Velazquez the regular rider was in NY today. As for Lezcano being a horrible rider, I don't think there's anything wrong with Lezcano I think he's a good jockey. He's very good on turf. Always been a top 5 rider wherever he goes.
David Robinson More than 1 year ago
blah blah blah!! you people act as if not only he could beat frankel, but also as if he has proven he is the best here in the u,s.. has anyone been watching obviously lately? believe me, WD'S connection will be better off going in the classic because he will get his a** handed to him at santa anita if he faces obviously!
Perl More than 1 year ago
He will smoke Obviously in the BC Mile. Obviously has been tooling on second rate fields in socal.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
Obviously ? Hahahahahahaha. Gr 2 winner won't make the board in the mile.What a foolish comparison
David Robinson More than 1 year ago
oh no!! hes only a gr.2 winner?? keep using an antiquated system of rating the strengrh of a race and see how far that gets you in this game.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
He beat 4 2nd rate horses yesterday on a hard turf. You are so clueless.
David Robinson More than 1 year ago
oh and the field wise dan beat yesterday was just full of monsters, ryght? i love listening to biased east coast fans bash the west coast horses, and then cry and make up excuses after they win. in case you have been living in a tree, the breeders cup is on the west coast. again this yearm and obviously will do just like lure did........ run right down their throat. wise dan will never be within 3 lengths of him.
Perl More than 1 year ago
I think Wise Dan will outfinish him, but only time will tell. And the Cali horses do have somewhat of a home field advantage out there. In any event, Obviously can run sub 46 and still finish, so he has my grudging respect. In a 14-horse field with a short run-up to the first turn anything can happen.
Derek More than 1 year ago
Never heard of that horse you mention David.....Wise dan lokked good for a bit of teh race yesterday but he didnt finish well....the way he did at Woodbine. He may be going over the top. Not sure it was a Wise decision to run him yesterday. Regardless, he will have it to do to beat Excelebration in teh mile. he has been rested since his Moulin win and is still rated a pound superior to Wise dan. he is also very consistent.