12/20/2014 8:38PM

Former Canadian jockey Swatuk dies at 65

Brian Swatuk, 65, a former jockey at Woodbine, died Dec. 13 from cancer at an Ontario hospice.

Swatuk won several Canadian classics during his long career, most notably the 1979 Queen’s Plate on Steady Growth. He rode Coryphee to victory in the 1987 Prince of Wales Stakes, and won the 1985 Breeders’ Stakes aboard Crowning Honors. He also won stakes on Dance Smartly, Wilderness Song and Meafara.

Swatuk won 1,074 races between 1976 and 2003. A celebration of his life will take place next year.

robertsmale More than 1 year ago
Fond memories of Brian. He often gave me goggles when I visited the track and invited me and my friend to the jock's room. He was one of my favourite riders, especially at 6 furlongs. Sad to see him pass so young. Steady Growth in the 1979 Plate is still a great memory. Thanks for all the memories and thrills Brian. RIP
Capo Capo More than 1 year ago
I met this man and it was a privilege. RIP Sir.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
A very talented and much under-appreciated rider, Brian could hold his own in any company, as was evidenced on Steady Growth in the 1979 Arlington Classic when he out-manoeuvred the great Angel Cordero Jr. aboard Private Account. And I remember fondly the great rides he gave the front-running Amerigirl and Meticulous Robert for John Tammaro, in 1979/80...and the first winner I trained, Arikarin, at Greenwood in 1981. R.I.P. dear Brian, you are one of many that have gone too soon and not been properly appreciated for what you accomplished.
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
Jockey Brian Swatuk. was our house guest often here in So. Cal. one year he wintered here for the Santa Anita meet. I recognized his riding abilities eaely on, and rode him whenever my owners would allow me to. Rest in Peace and know your friendship was appreciated long after you returned home
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
You may burn in Hell for placing graffiti under the death notice of my wonderful, classy friend Jockey Brian Swatuk. He was our house guest here in So. Cal. one year he wintered here for the Santa Anita meet. I recognized his riding abilities eaely on, and rode him whenever my owners would allow me to. Rest in Peace and know your friendship was appreciated long after you returned home.
zolaism More than 1 year ago
seconded on all counts ! Brian was a very professional rider and always was alert and gave us his great smile! The fact that the DRF allows such an abomination to occur is beyond any excuse !
Rafiat Mohammed More than 1 year ago