06/02/2013 1:26PM

Belmont Stakes workouts: Unlimited Budget pleases Pletcher with breeze

Unlimited Budget breezed a half-mile in 47.48 seconds at Belmont Park on Sunday in preparation for Saturday's Belmont Stakes.

ELMONT, N.Y. – Unlimited Budget all but solidified her status as a starter for Saturday’s 145th Belmont Stakes with a strong workout Sunday at Belmont Park, which would make her the first filly to start in the Belmont since Rags to Riches won the race in 2007.

Unlimited Budget was one of five possible Belmont Stakes starters who worked for trainer Todd Pletcher on a warm, sun-splashed Sunday at Belmont Park. While Revolutionary, Palace Malice, and Overanalyze had always been considered definite starters for Pletcher, Unlimited Budget and Midnight Taboo needed one more good work to earn their way in.

While Unlimited Budget did that, Midnight Taboo’s status remained undecided in Pletcher’s mind after an OK work that was timed in 47.26 seconds for a half-mile by Daily Racing Form.

“I thought he worked good this good morning; he didn’t blow me away, so that’s going to be Mike’s call on that,” Pletcher said, referring to owner Mike Repole, “whether we want to take a more conservative route with a lightly raced horse or take a shot.”

For his part, Repole, who did not attend Sunday’s workouts, raised Midnight Taboo’s Belmont status to 75 percent from 60 percent a week ago. Midnight Taboo would go in the Easy Goer on the Belmont undercard if he skipped the Belmont.

Pletcher listed Unlimited Budget as “80 to 90 percent” after she worked a half-mile in 47.48 seconds in company with the 3-year-old colt Capo Bastone.

[BELMONT STAKES: Probable field and latest updates]

After an average workout last Sunday, when she was on the inside of her workmate, Unlimited Budget was put on the outside of Capo Bastone on Sunday and put in a stronger move, according to Pletcher. After she went her first quarter in 24.41, Unlimited Budget, under Patti Krotenko, got her last quarter in 23.07 and galloped out five furlongs in 59.62 while pulling up six furlongs in 1:13.48.

“She worked really well,” Pletcher said. “I thought she was full of run throughout, finished up strongly, galloped out well, seemed to cool out well. Biggest difference is we put her on the outside.”

Unlimited Budget and Midnight Taboo worked following the 8:45 a.m. renovation break.

Pletcher’s trio of Overanalyze, Palace Malice, and Revolutionary all went shortly after 6 a.m., when the track was yielding lightning-fast workout times.

Overanalyze, with John Velazquez up, started one length back of Caixa Eletronica, and after going an opening quarter in 25.15 seconds, he came home his final quarter in 22.86 for a final time of 48.01. He was within a neck of the always-tough Caixa Eletronica, who is running in Saturday’s True North. Overanalyze galloped out five furlongs in 1:00.00.

“I thought Overanalyze was actually pretty willing this morning,” Pletcher said about a runner not known to be an aggressive work horse.

Revolutionary, who seemed to be a little lackadaisical in his gallops Friday and Saturday, worked a half-mile in 48.51, getting a final quarter in 23.21 outside of stablemate Abraham.

“I think he’s been a little quiet the last few days, but I think a lot of horses have. It’s been pretty hot,” Pletcher said. “These horses are pretty wise to what’s going on. On a daily basis, they go out there and do their thing, but I like what I saw in his work this morning. Some horses go out there and train aggressively every day; some don’t. He’s one that kind of knows when game time is.”

Palace Malice, under exercise rider Annie Finney, worked inside the unraced 3-year-old Catron and went a sharp half-mile in 47.43, with a final quarter of 23.36.

Pletcher said he put Palace Malice on the inside of his workmate because “he was going to control the pace of the breeze. Annie was going to be in charge of the fractions we were laying out, and I like an inside horse to do that.”

After showing speed with blinkers on in the Kentucky Derby, Pletcher was asked where he would like to see Palace Malice – who will not wear blinkers in the Belmont – in the early stages of the race.

“I would like to see him get into a nice, comfortable rhythm, wherever that is,” Pletcher said.

Incognito sharp in work

Incognito worked four furlongs in 48.32 over the Belmont Park training track Sunday, breezing in company with fellow 3-year-old Irsaal.

Incognito started about a length behind but quickly caught up to Irsaal after an opening quarter in 23.45. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin had said Irsaal had never been outworked, and that statement rang true, as Incognito got within a neck of Irsaal at the wire but did not get past him.

McLaughlin said he was happy enough with Incognito’s work and reiterated that the primary reason he is in the race is because his pedigree suggests he can get the 1 1/2-mile distance of the Belmont.

Freedom Child strong in open gallop

While he didn’t have an official work, Peter Pan Stakes winner Freedom Child had a strong gallop over the main track that will serve as his final major move before Saturday’s Belmont.

Freedom Child went the final half-mile of his gallop in 52.84 seconds, according to Daily Racing Form’s Mike Welsch, that time coming from the finish line to the mile pole.

Following a sharp five-furlong work last Monday in 1:00.06, trainer Tom Albertrani said he did not want to work Freedom Child and was planning to give him a strong open gallop Monday, but he moved it up to Sunday due to a forecast for rain Sunday night into Monday.

“I told the rider [John Mason] to start past the quarter pole getting him into a rhythm, and by the eighth pole to do a two-minute lick, then put a little something extra on it,” Albertrani said. “He said he was doing everything on his own.”

– additional reporting by Mike Welsch

Freddy Reyes Falck More than 1 year ago
Todd, please, come to your senses Unlimited Budget is a good filly and might be a GI winner some day but she IS NOT Rags to Riches. Please revert, you still have time... You know that you already hvae the winner in Revolutionary. My followers: here is the trifecta: Revolutionary - Golden Soul - Orb, Oxbow will finish out of the money and UL up the track.
Freddy Reyes Falck More than 1 year ago
I meant UB.
Billy Spathanas More than 1 year ago
7 years later , Todd will send another filly , Unlimited Budget to the Belmont only to have her heart beat up !
J.L. Boey More than 1 year ago
It is specious and quite foolish to suggest that only fillies might not come back the same after running well in the Belmont Stakes. It is true for colts just as well. This century alone: Dunkirk, Union Rags, Charismatic, Afleet Alex, Smarty Jones, Jazil, Sarava, Empire Maker, and we could even argue Birdstone and Bluegrass Cat and perhaps more I've missed. If God says to thoroughbred owners that they must sign up today to have one of their 3yo fillies or colts win the Belmont Stakes with the catch that the horse would never race again, it would take God hundreds of years to work his magic; the fact remains there could only be one Belmont Stakes winner each year, and we know that God would never make any drastically unnatural or miraculous alterations to human affairs like having multiple Belmont Stakes winners every year.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
UNLIMETED BUDGET that's what nyra needs to go after all the miracle trainers in N.Y. extra surveillance really?..i wonder if the shippers from aqueduct are under surveillance on the way to Belmont or if they take a detour to eat some oats...even rudy is starting to perk up again and jacobson continues to defy logic...what about the detention barn ? GONE replaced by smoke and mirrors....i guess the suspects complained a little too hard and nyra caved. Who cares about fairness and honesty anyway.as long as they come to the racino and hopefully the games there are not rigged like at the track.
Albert More than 1 year ago
The filly has the numbers to be competitive in this race as does Revolutionary. Overanalyze is a bit behind them. The others are just taking up space. She bounced in the Ky Oaks, but not badly. It was a good enough effort to suggest that she will fire Saturday. Orb bounced very big off his Derby win. This suggests to me that he's not coming back to a winning level at Belmont. Oxbow won't be able to get the same help you can get away with in Maryland. He's a distant loser this time. Same overall for Lukas. Golden Soul may bump up for a piece. I will take a Pletcher exacta as my best opportunity, given the odds on his should be relatively high.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
are you kidding about getting some help in N.Y. really?...the home of the miracle trainer. Ever notice how tall do well here..took them 10 years to get rid of duthrow and now they have 5 or 6 just like him.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
tall = they all......sorry bad keyboard.
Frank dAmb More than 1 year ago
will any of these Pletcher Repole be a coupled entry
prose More than 1 year ago
No. In grade 1 races worth 1 million dollars or more each horse races as its own betting entity
redboy More than 1 year ago
5f in 59 3/5 and 6 in 1;13 some decent numbers add the fact that Repole is running Overanalzye and Taboo to muddle the picture ,looks like Repole is all in with Unlimited Budget. Looks like he's still trying to exorcise some demons since Uncle Mo.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
And might raise more - like that bothers men like him.
Paul More than 1 year ago
I remember Dullahan did the half mile in 45 seconds last year before the Belmont. Much good that did him. This article states that Revolutionary "seemed to be a little lackadaisical". That isn't changing my bet.....Revolutionary to win the Belmont!
prose More than 1 year ago
You're right, Paul. I hate Dullahan. He's a crap horse. I went with him instead of Union Rags. But Union Rags had a terrific workout before the Belmont, too. So, I don't know. I liked Revolutionary to win in Kentucky, I am not so sure I like him at 1 1/2 miles. I like Palace Malice, Freedom Child, and Orb. I have watched videos of Palace Malice over the past two weeks. He looks amazing. Moves really smoothly. We'll see.
Paul More than 1 year ago
I also went with Dullahan in the Belmont, thinking his strong close in the Derby would translate to the Belmont. My Derby pick was Black Onyx and after he scratched I went with Revolutionary. I'm going to stick with Revolutionary again for this race, though my confidence isn't high.
Perl More than 1 year ago
A two-time Grade winner. I'd love to own a "crap horse" like that!
Mad Vaper More than 1 year ago
Revolutionary was given a bad ride in the derby by a bad jockey who has gotten lucky in the past. The rail was dead that day and he stuck him right in it all the way around....even after an alert break he wrestled back and dove to the rail. The Rev just runs and runs and if Castellano gets a clean break and not way back I think he wins. I too was of course on him in the derby...I feel pretty confident...but then I was with Orb in the Preakness.....that why we run them I suppose :)
Jim Fields More than 1 year ago
These half mile works mean absolutely nothing, now a three mile gallop might put some air in the deep reserves of the lungs and that might help the last eighth of a mile.
Sir More than 1 year ago
I'd like to see if anyone reverts to those 9 furlong workouts Laz Barrera used give Affirmed.
akhiym james More than 1 year ago
Nobody trains like that anymore. With the horses not being durable enough they can't train like that and then run in their races. But I would love to see them train like that would actually give these horses some stamina to be able to run these classic races