06/17/2013 4:52PM

Belmont Park: Eblouissante getting closer to return

Shigeki Kikkawa
Eblouissante worked five furlongs in 1:01.44 on Monday as she readies for her first start since January.

ELMONT, N.Y. – Eblouissante, the younger half-sister to champion Zenyatta, worked a solid five furlongs in 1:01.44 on Monday at Belmont Park, and trainer John Shirreffs believes his filly is one work away from a return to the races.

Eblouissante has not raced since winning a first-level allowance event on Jan. 17 at Santa Anita, her second victory in as many starts.

For the second straight week, Eblouissante worked in company with the 5-year-old male Tiz Gianni. With very little run up to the five-furlong pole, the pair went their first eighth-mile in 13.38 seconds. The tempo quickened from there, with the quarter in 25.66, three-eighths in 37.39, and a final quarter of 24.05, with Eblouissante edging clear by about three lengths.

Eblouissante galloped out six furlongs in 1:14.12 and seven-eighths in 1:27.34.

“She worked really well,” Shirreffs said. “She’s probably one work away from me feeling comfortable running her. She worked exactly the same this week as she did last week, maybe a little bit better.”

Though there is an overnight stakes in the condition book for Sunday that fits Eblouissante, Shirreffs said he isn’t pointing her to that race.

“I don’t think so,” he said. “Today, I just wanted to see how fit she was. It looked like she galloped out pretty strong, so she looks like she’s pretty fit.”

Shirreffs said he is pointing Mr. Commons to the Grade 3, $150,000 Poker Handicap here July 4. Mr. Commons was entered in the June 7 Jaipur but scratched when that race was taken off the turf and moved to the main track due to rain.

Patricia Adamo More than 1 year ago
Love this filly and can't wait until she returns to racing. Concerned she may have had a problem considering her lengthy time off, but don't recall reading anything about issues. Maybe she is just a big, slow developer liker Zenny. Would love to see another win...not only for her, but for John as well. Really nice guy.
ognom98 . More than 1 year ago
This filly is fortunate to have Shirreffs as a trainer. He will give her all the time she needs. Personally, I don't think this filly is as good as the press leads us to believe.
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
As a lifelong horseman that served under a few Hall of Famers, Bob Wheeler and Woody Stephens included, trust me when I tell ya John Shirreffs is every bit as good as any trainer I've been been fortunate enough to have been around. He actually puts his horses welfare before anything else. Not many around like that anymore. I worship him, as I see horse abuse as serious as child abuse. Trying to protect horses from their worst enemies (owners) kept my training career on a limited basis, but God knows as I look back, I'm thrilled I had the principals to protect those amazing horses placed in my care. I am excited to see how well 'Ebby' is doing, and hope she has a happy career. I'm relieved she's in the hands of such a Master trainer. Now I only hope she's 7/5 or better ;)
Jim Qaukey More than 1 year ago
I like her I think she is a very good horse , hey she maybe a great horse , but she will never be grateness , she'll be Princess Ebby but never ever a Queen Zen
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
Zenyatta was a DRF and media hero who LOST when facing males on dirt the only time she tried. THAT alone excludes her from the "greatness' list. If Zenyatta is "GREAT" where is all the talk about BLAME being a WORLD-BEATER..... Hmmmmm
Zenyatta ran the best race of the day when she got beat. She closed over 20 lengths that day to fall a nose short. If you can remember, nobody closed much that day @ CD. It was a front favoring track all day. She overcame a bias and still almost did it.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Silly comment.
Mike Knox More than 1 year ago
Take your time, Do it right!
Kathy Cooper More than 1 year ago
Candace Jones More than 1 year ago
So excited to see her run again! Go Ebby :)
gallopingtom More than 1 year ago
This mare is worth a fortune! She is the best looking horse in the sprt right now.
Terri Drennen More than 1 year ago
Hi GTom, exactly, which is why I'm so worried she will be sent overseas. They have money that nobody here can compete with and they also have a couple of superstars named Frankel and Deep Impact, different countries, but I have just that feeling she will end up over there. I was floored when I read the list of our champion mares that are over there now! Done very quietly too. Why? probably because folks like us would raise a ruckus!! We need the quality back in our TB's. It is no secret that our current stock are inferior to theirs. There are the exceptional few, but just look at the amount of 3 year olds retired before age 4 already. Now I'm rooting for Animal Kingdom, glad to see they are keeping this fellow going. That age is when they are best; we do not even start to mess with ours, bring them out of their pastures until age 3. They need to grow and develop those fragile bones. :) And we will never see another Ruffian, the true greatest of them all, in such a short, tragic career. Can you only imagine the way that Royal Family of mares from Shenanigans would have continued to change that line if she had lived? (shaking my head) THAT is true, blue lineage there. I have a Slew granddaughter, but not a big fan of Bernardini, he's got the numbers because there are so many of them, and I fear in the next few generations we are going to be flooded with them. What do you think Tom?? :)
Vincent More than 1 year ago
I heard Zenyatta's half-sister's stablemates cousins' half-brother's full sister is running soon....whoo hoo!!!
Terri Drennen More than 1 year ago
Hah?? LOL :)
commenting More than 1 year ago
I'm sure something will come up which will derail another start... she'll stub her toe or something.
Terri Drennen More than 1 year ago
she has had a rough time of it, the facts are the facts, don't know why you are getting the down thumbs! Some horses are just hard keepers, not their fault, its just the way it is. She is her own person/horse, and she will be a good mare regardless if she wins again or not. Does anyone know why she has to have the cotton in the ears still at Belmont? They need to get used to the noise of the track. We don't put cotton in our horses ears, and they do just fine! Not every horse automatically needs a shadow roll either, its an individual thing for every horse. ??? Anyone??