Fri, 01/09/2026 - 13:54

Shisospicy getting ready for return

Debra A. Roma
Shisospicy will do all her serious training for her return at Palm Meadows before flying to Saudi Arabia on Feb. 2.

Trainer Jose D’Angelo reported that Shisospicy will have her third work back since winning the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint when she breezes four furlongs Saturday morning at Palm Meadows. Shisospicy is currently targeting the 1351 Turf Sprint at King Abdulaziz Racecourse on Feb. 14 for her 2026 debut.

“Her first two works were at three furlongs – the first very easy, the second a little faster with a strong gallop-out,” D’Angelo said. “Now she’s ready to stretch out to four furlongs on Saturday.”

Fri, 01/09/2026 - 12:43

Quarter Horse rider Nicasio banned for life in California

Jose Nicasio, one of the leading Quarter Horse jockeys at Los Alamitos in the last decade, has been banned for life in California for being present at an illegal match race in the state in 2024, according to a ruling published by the California Horse Racing Board on Thursday.

Thu, 01/08/2026 - 15:40

Imagination may join stablemates in Middle East for Riyadh Dirt Sprint

Barbara D. Livingston
Imagination, second in the Breeders' Cup Sprint, is possible to start next in the Riyadh Dirt Sprint.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Nysos and Nevada Beach, first and second in the Grade 2 Laffit Pincay Jr. Stakes at Santa Anita on Dec. 28, were confirmed as candidates for the $20 million Saudi Cup in Saudi Arabia on Feb. 14 by trainer Bob Baffert on Thursday.

The Hall of Fame trainer may have a deeper team in that country’s leading day of racing. Baffert said Imagination, second in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Del Mar on Nov. 1, is under consideration for the Group 2 Riyadh Dirt Sprint, a $2 million race at six furlongs on the same day.

“He may go, too,” Baffert said.

Thu, 01/08/2026 - 15:39

European stakes winner Saqqara Sands joins Callaghan's barn

Barbara D. Livingston
Saqqara Sands, a minor stakes winner in Europe, will now be trained by Simon Callaghan in California.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Saqqara Sands, the winner of two sprint stakes in Britain last summer, joined trainer Simon Callaghan’s stable at Santa Anita earlier this week.

A 4-year-old British-bred filly, Saqqara Sands was listed as sold for approximately $2.2 million at the Tattersalls horses in training sale in Britain last month. She will race for Michael Tabor, Callaghan said on Thursday.

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 14:09

Workouts resume on main track

Debra A. Roma
Big City Lights worked six furlongs in 1:12 on Monday at Santa Anita in preparation for the California Cup Sprint.

Full training resumed on the main track at Santa Anita on Wednesday for the first time since Dec. 31, a break caused by extensive rain.

There were 51 recorded works on the main track compared to 28 on the infield training track, which has a synthetic surface. In the last week, workouts had been restricted to the training track because of wet conditions.

Rain has plagued the opening weeks of the winter-spring meeting.

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 14:09

D'Amato believes Almendares is primed to upset Pegasus World Cup Turf

Benoit Photo
Almendares will start next in the Pegasus World Cup Turf, leading a group that trainer Phil D'Amato plans to start at Gulfstream Park.

Almendares may be a longshot to follow in the Grade 1 Pegasus World Cup Turf at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 24 from trainer Phil D’Amato’s perspective.

Winner of the restricted Wickerr Stakes at a mile on turf at Del Mar last July, Almendares was fifth by three-quarters of a length in the Grade 2 Seabiscuit Handicap at 1 1/16 miles on turf at Del Mar on Nov. 29 in his last start. Ridden by John Velazquez, Almendares closed from fourth with a wide rally to race within a length of the lead with a furlong remaining. He was beaten a neck for second.

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 14:08

Grade 1 winner Iscreamuscream retired

Benoit Photo
Iscreamuscream, the 2024 Grade 1 Del Mar Oaks winner, has been retired and will be bred in Kentucky.

Iscreamuscream, the winner of the Grade 1 Del Mar Oaks in August 2024, has been retired and was sent to Kentucky to be bred earlier this week.

Trainer Phil D’Amato said an effort was made to race Iscreamuscream as a 5-year-old this year for the first time since the fall of 2024, but that a decision was made to end her racing career.

“She’s off to Kentucky to be a broodmare,” D’Amato said. “She didn’t quite make it back.

“It was a bunch of little things. Timing-wise, it was prudent not to miss the breeding season.”

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 12:32

Full Screen likely headed to Oaklawn for two-turn stakes

Susie Raisher / NYRA
Full Screen, winner of the Queens County, will likely start next in a stakes race at Oaklawn.

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – Full Screen, winner of the Queens County Stakes at Aqueduct on Dec. 27, could make his next start at Oaklawn Park, trainer Brad Cox said.

With no two-turn stakes for older males on the NYRA circuit until the Excelsior at 1 1/4 miles in April, Full Screen could turn up in a race like the Grade 3, $500,000 Razorback Stakes on Feb. 28. There is also the General MacArthur Overnight Stakes on Jan. 30, though the $135,000 purse and the timing may not be ideal.

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 12:27

Trombetta giving maiden winner Crossingthechannel a breather

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – Trainer Mike Trombetta is not going to be in a hurry to find out just how good a horse he may have in the 3-year-old colt Crossingthechannel.

Crossingthechannel, a son of Omaha Beach, hung on to win a maiden race by a neck on Sunday. He earned an 85 Beyer Speed Figure, which was certainly respectable, especially when you consider he was running back three weeks after earning a 91 when finishing second to Iron Honor.

Wed, 01/07/2026 - 12:23

Rodriguez making the most of his second chance on NYRA circuit

Debra A. Roma
Jaime Rodriguez rode Bellezza to victory for trainer Miguel Clement in the Grade 2 Flower Bowl at Saratoga.

OZONE PARK, N.Y.– Success on the New York Racing Association circuit is a full-circle moment for jockey Jaime Rodriguez.

It was in May 2010 that Rodriguez, a native of Puerto Rico, recorded his first career U.S. victory aboard a horse named East to Eden at Belmont Park. Rodriguez, 34, is now up to 2,617 North American wins and has been a leading rider at Finger Lakes, Delaware Park, and the Maryland circuit.