Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:40

Kentucky Downs sets handle records

Even with just four of five dates in the books, Kentucky Downs already has surpassed its all-time all-sources handle for a meet.

Aggregate handle into the Thursday finale stands at $24,567,471, eclipsing the $22.5 million that was bet last year over five days. Even more impressive is that the 2017 meet will include just one Saturday of racing versus two in 2016.

The top two days in track history came last weekend when nearly $8.5 million was bet Saturday and a little more than $6 million Sunday.

Maker, Leparoux top standings

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:40

Fan favorite Hogy still going strong with old partner Geroux

Reed Palmer Photography/Kentucky Downs
Hogy and Florent Geroux teamed for a victory in the Kentucky Downs Turf Sprint on Sept. 9.

More than six years later, Hogy and jockey Florent Geroux are still a winning team.

Geroux was aboard Hogy when the then-2-year-old gelding easily won his debut on June 11, 2011, in the last race at Arlington Park. Geroux, whose career arc was just then starting to climb, can still recall how exciting it was when Hogy won his first three starts, including an ungraded stakes at Canterbury Park.

“He was always a good horse,” said Geroux, who has become a perennial top-10 rider in North America.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:36

Incentives galore for Churchill's opening weekend juvenile stakes

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The twin 2-year-old stakes on opening weekend of the 11-day September meet at Churchill Downs might offer the greatest number of additional incentives of any races anywhere.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:20

Harty has three juveniles ready for three stakes

CYPRESS, Calif. – Trainer Eoin Harty could have juveniles in as many as three stakes in the first two weeks of the Santa Anita autumn meeting.

Harty said Sunday that City Plan, the winner of a maiden race at Los Alamitos on Sept. 7, is a candidate for the Grade 1 FrontRunner Stakes at 1 1/16 miles at Santa Anita on Sept. 30. The winner of the FrontRunner receives a fees-paid berth to the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at Del Mar on Nov. 4.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:20

Maldonado back in the saddle Thursday

CYPRESS, Calif. – Edwin Maldonado is scheduled to resume riding Thursday at Los Alamitos after missing part of Saturday’s and all of Sunday’s card because of a mild concussion sustained in a spill.

Maldonado was unseated from Discreetly Leah on Saturday after the filly suffered a severe injury on the turn of a $20,000 claimer for maidens in Saturday’s second race. Maldonado was taken to a local hospital, where he underwent tests before being released.

Saul Marquez, Maldonado’s agent, said the rider had a “mild concussion.”

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:16

Run Away possible for Barretts Juvenile

Benoit & Associates
Run Away, by Run Away and Hide, wins the Grade 2 Best Pal Stakes at Del Mar.

CYPRESS, Calif. – Run Away, who finished third in the Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity on Sept. 4, is a possible starter in the $100,000 Barretts Juvenile at Los Alamitos on Sept. 23.

Run Away was beaten 5 1/2 lengths as the 5-2 favorite in the $300,000 Del Mar Futurity at seven furlongs. He fought for the lead on the turn before fading in the final furlong and finishing behind Bolt d’Oro and Zatter.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 12:36

Florida tracks spared major damage from Hurricane Irma

Live racing will resume at Gulfstream Park on Saturday, track officials announced Monday morning in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, which passed through the area on Sunday. The facility will reopen for simulcast wagering on Wednesday.

The racetrack was scheduled to be open for training again on Tuesday.

Gulfstream Park escaped the wrath of Hurricane Irma with a minimum of damage according to P.J. Campo, general manager and vice-president of racing at Gulfstream, who cited only some minor damage to roofs on several of the older barns on the backstretch.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 12:26

Mondialiste, World Approval expected for Woodbine Mile

Emily Shields
Mondialiste was the Woodbine Mile winner in 2015.

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – Mondialiste and World Approval top a field of 11 expected in Saturday’s Grade 1, $800,000 Woodbine Mile.

Mondialiste rallied to win the Woodbine Mile over Lea in 2015. A 7-year-old son of Galileo, Mondialiste is winless in seven starts this year, all overseas, with his most recent victory coming in last year’s Grade 1 Arlington Million. He is one of four European shippers expected in the field.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 12:20

Starship Jubilee Attard's latest success story

Michael Burns
Starship Jubilee (inside) trained by Kevin Attard, dead heats with Rainha Da Bateria for the win in the Dance Smartly Stakes.

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – Trainer Kevin Attard is making a habit of turning claimers into graded stakes winners, with his latest being 4-year-old filly Starship Jubilee.

Claimed for $16,000 at Gulfstream Park this past winter, Starship Jubilee has won the Grade 2 Nassau Stakes and Grade 2 Dance Smartly Stakes at Woodbine this season, and will aim for her third graded stakes win in Saturday’s Grade 2, $250,000 Canadian Stakes.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 09:57

Gulfstream apparently weathers Hurricane Irma

Gulfstream Park officials said damage to the grounds from Hurricane Irma was minimal after the worst of the storm had passed through the area by late Sunday afternoon.

Officials said that except for some palm fronds littering the area, the barn area and racetrack appeared to suffer no effects from the monster storm, the eye of which passed well to the west of Gulfstream Park.