Mon, 04/13/2026 - 14:30

Bluebonnet kicks off meet featuring strong group of jockeys, trainers

Coady Media
Modo, now trained by Kinnon LaRose, takes on 2025 Texas-bred of the Year Too Much Kiki in Thursday's Bluebonnet at Lone Star.

Lone Star Park opens Thursday night with a strong roster of jockeys and trainers signed on for the 41-date meet that is highlighted by the Lone Star Million Day card and the Summer Turf Festival.

“Those would be our two big open stakes days,” said Bart Lang, director of racing operations for Lone Star.

Sat, 04/11/2026 - 13:06

With Monrovia behind her, Mullins has no immediate plans for Queen Maxima

Benoit Photo
Queen Maxima will face a reduced field in Saturday’s Monrovia Stakes at Santa Anita.

Trainer Jeff Mullins had an outstanding winter at Santa Anita, where he finished fourth in the trainer standings with 21 wins from 78 runners. But the Santa Anita Derby card on April 4 was frustrating for reasons beyond Intrepido’s fourth-place finish in the Kentucky Derby points race.

Queen Maxima finished a disappointing third as the 2-5 favorite in the Grade 3 Monrovia Stakes, a hillside turf sprint. Queen Maxima ranks among the country’s top female turf sprinters, but she was a victim of unusual circumstances when she misfired on the hill in the Monrovia.

Sat, 04/11/2026 - 12:44

Intrepido still in Derby hunt but needs defections

Barbara D. Livingston
Intrepido sits in 23rd in the points ranking for the Kentucky Derby.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Intrepido finally resumed training Saturday at Santa Anita, one week after a distant fourth-place finish in the Santa Anita Derby seemed to eliminate him from Kentucky Derby consideration.

But the picture changed this week. Intrepido, winner of the Grade 1 American Pharoah Stakes at Santa Anita last year, is back in the Kentucky Derby hunt.

Trainer Jeff Mullins confirmed Saturday he will adhere to the wishes of the colt’s owners and aim Intrepido to the Kentucky Derby notwithstanding his 10-length loss in the Santa Anita Derby.

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 17:55

Journalism confirmed to make 4-year-old debut in Oaklawn Handicap

Debra A. Roma
Journalism hasn't raced since finishing fourth in the Breeders' Cup Classic in November at Del Mar.

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Journalism will launch his 4-year-old season in the Grade 2, $1.25 million Oaklawn Handicap on April 18, according to an announcement made on social media by co-owner Eclipse Thoroughbreds. 

Jose Ortiz has the mount in the 1 1/8-mile race for which weights were issued Friday. Horse of the Year Sovereignty, who is expected to run in the Oaklawn Handicap, is weighted at 123 pounds.

Skippylongstocking, who was assigned top weight of 124 pounds, is likely to make his next start in the Alysheba at Churchill Downs, trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. said Tuesday.

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 13:54

Vazquez, Torres battling atop jockey standings

The draw for the Oaklawn Handicap, which is expected to lure Sovereignty, is scheduled for Sunday

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Jockeys Ramon Vazquez and Cristian Torres continue to battle atop the local standings at Oaklawn. Through Thursday Vazquez had 55 wins to lead the standings, while Torres ranked second with 52.

Torres leads all riders in mount earnings, with his 324 mounts earning more than $5 million. Vazquez’s 302 mounts have earned a collective $2.9 million.

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 13:50

Asmussen well on his way to locking up 15th Oaklawn title

Barbara D. Livingston
Trainer Steve Asmussen won his first Oaklawn training title in 2007 and his most recent last season.

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen is on pace to win his 15th Oaklawn Park training title, but he is taking nothing for granted as the meet continues through May 2.

Asmussen has won 52 races so far this season, which is 29 more than second-leading trainer Mark Casse.

“It’s been a very solid meet,” Asmussen said. “I’m very happy with how the horses are running, but we have another month left and we need to finish it off strong.”

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 13:25

No immediate plans for Napoleon Solo

Debra A. Roma
There are no immediate plans for Grade 1 winner Napoleon Solo, who finished fifth last out in the Wood Memorial.

There are no immediate plans for Grade 1 Champagne Stakes winner Napoleon Solo, who finished fifth, beaten 2 3/4 lengths, in the Grade 2 Wood Memorial on April 4.

“He’s back on the track now. He came out of the race well. At this stage, we’re looking forward to the second half of the season wherever it takes us,” trainer Chad Summers said Friday. “Nothing we’re pointing to right now.”

Breaking from the rail in the Wood, Napoleon Solo set a pressured pace and was still in contention at the eighth pole before giving way in the final furlong.

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 13:24

Yo Daddy pointed toward Pimlico Special off Excelsior win

Barbara D. Livingston
Off a victory in the Excelsior at Aqueduct, Yo Daddy will likely start next in the Pimlico Special at Laurel.

Yo Daddy, winner of the Excelsior Stakes on April 4, will be pointed to the Grade 3, $250,000 Pimlico Special on May 15 at Laurel Park, trainer Linda Rice said this week.

Last year, at this time, Yo Daddy was competing in one-turn mile races, winning two before finishing fifth in the Stymie and third in the Grade 3 Westchester. The timing of this year’s Westchester (May 9) makes sense, but Rice said she would like to keep Yo Daddy racing longer distances this year.

Fri, 04/10/2026 - 12:51

White Abarrio at top of his game coming into Oaklawn Handicap

White Abarrio works at GP March 26 2026
Barbara D. Livingston
White Abarrio works on March 26. Trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. was pleased with his Friday breeze for Saturday's Oaklawn Handicap.

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – White Abarrio put the finishing touches on preparations for his much anticipated showdown with Horse of the Year Sovereignty next Saturday in the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap by breezing an easy half-mile in 49.79 seconds Friday at Gulfstream Park.

Wed, 04/08/2026 - 19:40

Parx Racing begins turf course renovations

Debra A. Roma
Parx is hoping to resume turf racing later this year after replacing the grass.

Parx Racing began long-awaited renovations to its turf course Wednesday, with plans to reintroduce racing on the surface this year. The track has not held racing on the grass since September 2024, as poor weather and safety concerns about the old surface led officials to limit racing to dirt for the entire 2025 season.

“We expect this course will be held to the highest safety standards and we are looking forward to the return of turf racing here at Parx,” Joe Wilson, chief operating officer of Parx Racing, said in a press release.