The California Horse Racing Board has removed its equine medical director from oversight duties of the ongoing necropsy of 2021 Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit, citing a temporary suspension issued by the California Veterinary Medical Board. According to the CHRB, Dr. Jeff Blea, a practicing veterinarian for 28 years prior to his appointment as CHRB equine medical director last year, will remain in his position at the CHRB despite the suspension, which was issued by the CVMB after an “emergency hearing” on Dec. 24. Nevertheless, Blea will be removed from any oversight of the necropsy of Medina Spirit, who collapsed after a workout early in December and died. In a statement, the CHRB said it “respectfully disagrees with [the CMVB’s] pursuit of an emergency interim suspension” of Blea’s license, but that “given the very public nature of the necropsy and resulting investigation into the death of Medina Spirit, and in keeping with the CHRB’s commitment to integrity and transparency,” it had chosen to remove him from the oversight position. “The CHRB believes this also satisfies the VMB’s stated reason for filing the temporary suspension petition and therefore requires it to consider its withdrawal,” the statement said. Blea is one of the most respected equine practitioners in Southern California. He replaced Dr. Rick Arthur, another respected former vet, who served in the position of equine medical director for the CHRB for 15 years. The complaint issued by the CVMB alleged that Blea prescribed and administered medications to racehorses “without any documented examination or diagnoses,” from a period running from Sept. 30, 2020, to Jan. 26, 2021. It focused particularly on the administration of thyroxine, a drug used to treat thyroid deficiencies. The drug has been a focus of animal-rights groups due to its association with cardiac arrythmias. Medina Spirit’s cause of death has been called an “apparent heart attack.” The CHRB put in place strict regulations regarding the administration of thyroxine last year, beginning Jan. 1.  The CVMB has yet to hold a hearing into the allegations. Its complaint cited an “anonymous source” for the beginning of its investigation into Blea and two other Southern California racetrack practitioners, who face similar allegations. “With the board’s allegations pending, there exists a clear conflict of interest with Respondent Blea’s continued involvement in the drug-test program and investigations” of the CHRB, the complaint read. “The requested interim suspension order will prevent the appearance of impropriety and any possible undue influence by Respondent Blea.” The CHRB’s chairman, Dr. Greg Ferraro, who previously served on the CVMB, said in a statement that the “allegations against Dr. Blea have yet to be proven, and as such, he should be able to serve as the EMD until the final outcome of the accusation filed against his license can be fully adjudicated through the administrative process.” The CHRB said that it will discuss the matter during a closed session on Jan. 20, following a regularly scheduled meeting. “Dr. Blea has done excellent work for the CHRB since he began his employment,” Scott Chaney, the executive director of the CHRB, said in a statement. “My concern is that not relying on his expertise, advice, and work in the role of EMD would diminish the CHRB’s ability to effectively promote animal welfare and, in a very real way, make horses less safe in California.” The horse racing industry in California remains under constant scrutiny due to the aggressive work of animal-rights groups in the state, some of which have deep political support. The efforts to undermine the industry in the state gathered steam in 2019, after a spate of catastrophic injuries at Santa Anita Park.