Shanghai Bobby has won the Hopeful Stakes, the Champagne Stakes, and the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and is the overwhelming favorite to be named champion 2-year-old of 2012 when the Eclipse Awards are held Sat
Shanghai Bobby has won the Hopeful Stakes, the Champagne Stakes, and the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and is the overwhelming favorite to be named champion 2-year-old of 2012 when the Eclipse Awards are held Sat
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Wise Dan is a finalist for champion male turf horse and champion older male, and is the favorite to be named Horse of the Year, when the 42nd Eclipse Awards are presented Saturday night at Gulfstream Park.
Voters have selected Paynter’s recovery from health problems earlier this year as the National Thoroughbred Racing Association’s Moment of the Year, the NTRA announced Thursday.
Visitors to the NTRA’s website were offered 12 different racing events this year to choose for the Moment of the Year. Paynter’s recovery won with 27 percent of the vote, distancing I’ll Have Another’s win in the Preakness two weeks after he scored in the Kentucky Derby, which got 13 percent of the vote, according to the NTRA.
One Dashing Eagle, who won three seven-figure futurities in California and New Mexico and set a single-season earnings record of $2,079,065, was named the 2012 World Champion Racing American Quarter Horse at a ceremony in Oklahoma City on Wednesday evening.
Richard Dutrow Jr. was to begin serving a 10-year suspension of his trainer’s license on Thursday but said he will not give up his fight to get back on the track at some point in the near future.
“I’m going to keep fighting,” Dutrow said Wednesday morning, one day before his suspension was set to begin.
Penn National Gaming Inc., the casino operator, plans to open an off-track betting facility in the Philadelphia metropolitan area, the company said on Wednesday.
The off-track betting facility will be located in Gloucester Township in New Jersey, near the Walt Whitman Bridge which crosses the Delaware River into Philadelphia. Penn National is a co-owner of Freehold Raceway, a harness track in southern New Jersey that has the rights to open four off-track betting parlors in the state.
Richard Dutrow Jr., the embattled trainer, said Tuesday that he intended to go to federal court in New York on Wednesday to seek an injunction that would prevent the New York State Racing and Wagering Board from enforcing a 10-year suspension beginning Thursday.
In a brief text message in response to a reporter’s question Tuesday of when he intended to seek the injunction, Dutrow said “tomorrow.” The attorney said to be representing Dutrow, Mitchell C. Elman, did not return a phone call Tuesday.
The New York State Racing and Wagering Board on Tuesday voted to renew a rule allowing any claim of a horse that is vanned off the track to be voided at the claimant’s discretion.
The rule, which was first passed as an emergency regulation last October, was set to expire unless the board renewed the rule. The vote on Tuesday will allow the rule to remain in effect for an additional 60 days, until a formal rule-making process has concluded, officials for the board said.
Richard Dutrow was served on Friday with a notice that an appeal of his 10-year suspension has been rejected by the state’s highest court, starting a five-day countdown to the likely revocation of Dutrow’s racing license, according to officials with the New York State Racing and Wagering Board.