Updated on 09/24/2012 2:41PM

Zayat: Paynter has improved significantly

Paynter, the winner of this year’s Haskell Invitational Stakes at Monmouth Park in New Jersey, has displayed no signs of developing laminitis and is showing significant improvement in overcoming a severe case of colitis, according to the 3-year-old colt’s owner, Ahmed Zayat.

Zayat provided details of a veterinary report on Paynter through his Twitter account on Friday, including the results of X-rays that showed “significant sole growth” in the areas that were thought to be in danger of the onset of laminitis. Zayat also said in the tweets that the horse is “sound” and that doctors are “optimistic that his feet will not be performance limiting.”

In a phone interview, Zayat said that the horse continues to be treated for a stubborn case of colitis that has see-sawed in severity over the past month. However, as of Friday afternoon, Paynter had no fever and was “happy and comfortable,” Zayat said.

Paynter is still being treated for colitis and has been fitted with special foam boots that are meant to prevent the onset of laminitis, a highly serious disease affecting a horse’s ability to place weight on its feet.

“We caught it at the onset,” Zayat said. “He had not really gotten full-blown laminitis. He never had any rotation or sinking [of the coffin bone], so he never really had it.”

The improvement in Paynter’s condition could mean that the horse is closer to returning to training. The colt was admitted to an equine medical center in late August after developing a fever and being diagnosed with colitis, a digestive ailment.

“I can’t fool myself and give myself hope that he’s out of the woods and as good as new,” Zayat said. “But the less complications he has the better chance he has to heal.”

JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
There is good news about Paynter. Today is Sunday, September 30th. Paynter's fever has gone down in the past couple of days and, the best news of all, Paynter has gained weight! Thank goodness for that. Both are excellent signs that Paynter continues to improve and get better. He's a remarkable horse! Paynter, you are doing a fabulous job combating all of these illnesses that were challenging you. You have made us all so proud of you! Your bravery and courage knows no bounds. We continue to stand with you in solidarity, buddy. Keep up the good work! May you continue to improve in every area you have improved in. May you keep getting stronger and stronger, heal swiftly, and completely. May the fevers go away forever, as well as the colitis. May you continue to feel more and more like yourself everyday. We thank your marvelous doctors and their medical staff, as well as your owners, the Zayat family, for being dedicated to your complete recovery and being in your corner 110% of the time in this struggle. They are in our good thoughts and prayers, too. We have been in your corner as well, Paynter, and we continue to pray for you. We send you our good thoughts and our healing thoughts. Continue to be the brave warrior you are and fight your hardest to be totally well. We will continue to pray for your good health and check in on your progress each day, Paynter. Have a fabulous, restful, healing week ahead!
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Thanks, Joy, that's great news. Heard anything on Jackson Bend, Potesta, Gemologist or Zo Impressive?
Gaye Goodwin More than 1 year ago
so...too chicken-poop to post the "hop trainer" comment, huh?
Gaye Goodwin More than 1 year ago
After Uncle Mo and Devil May Care, add Pletcher to that list.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
No new pics of Paynter?
Five More than 1 year ago
IF I am a newbie, here's what I take away from reading these blogs, since Paynter's illness: Zayat and family live in Spin City, to cover up something. Baffert is the same group with Drug O' and Dick D. Most owners and trainers are in it for personal gains, don't give a damn about the animals. American race horses are very fragile today due to breeding. Some races are decided before they run them. One group of bloggers mostly believe the above. The other group, blindly refuse to acknowledge, until shown hard evidence. What a state of affairs, as a newbie, I am gonna stay out before I am hooked.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Excellent assessment.
gonzo More than 1 year ago
your deductions are remarkebly ignorant. the only thing these trainers have in common is they train race horses.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
"The other group, blindly refuse to acknowledge, until shown hard evidence." WTF "Baffert is the same group with Drug O' and Dick D." This sentence would indicate which one YOU belong to.
Five More than 1 year ago
Robert, no prob. here. I blogged many times earlier in these stories, but DRF kept deleting my several insightful and valuable contributions. I am believe that Paynter was "juiced" before he freaked in the Haskell.
Five More than 1 year ago
I am a believer,.....
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
So Bodemeister retires with a pinched nerve in his shoulder. The Factor retires with a front ankle problem. Richard's Kid gets sold and transferred to O'Neil. Rolling Fog out for the year with bucked shins. Paynter almost dies but hey let's race him again. That's just this year. Karma is catching up I think. Anybody defending these facts has no business in racing. You wonder why organizations like PETA lobby against us?? This is why. The so called top trainer in California has given them plenty of reasons. Now all of you who are close to Mr. Baffert can jump all over me for stating facts but it doesn't change the truth of what I just outlined. No matter how crude. You put this horse back in training it's a recipe for disaster. Right now there is oppotunity to do what's right by Paynter and maybe change some perceptions. You still have Fed Biz and Game On Dude. Still have a classy filly Executiveprivelege. Still have Carving and Rolling Fog. And you just got blessed with Juddmonte's yearlings. I follow Bob because I am a student of racing. Same reason I follow Kiarin, Shug, Graham, Romans, Mott, Pletcher, Chad Brown, Larry Jones, Sadler, Matz, Aiden O'Brien, and other greats. But they aren't in the news for ruining horses. Just do what's right for Paynter for once. Retire him. He's the one who deserves it most.
Tiny Montgomery More than 1 year ago
So now Juddemonte has agreed to send Baffert a string of horses for SA, three of them high priced yearlings that Baffert helped pick out, must be bad Karma.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
What else is new. That's what Bob does, actually that's about all he does. Work the sales room, network, pitch, and get the horses lined up and waiting in the wings. Burn them and turn them and throw them against the Derby wall and see what sticks.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I don't think this horse will race again. Zayat wants to race him again because he hasn't accomplished enough to be worth that much at stud. He's over zealous in wanting to bring him back, as it makes a good story and might increase his value. I doubt he'll be physically right and they can't give him the same stuff that got him in this trouble in the first place. Months from now they'll put him back on the track and shortly after retire him rather than risk watching him get thrashed. . Can't use pinched nerve so I'm guessing the standard muscle tear excuse.
Tiny Montgomery More than 1 year ago
When this all started your exact words were "Paynter Is Not Sick" , this was all a supposed scam to duck the Travers and go in the Penn Derby.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
And your point is? At that time Zayat was saying he would go in the Travers. I said he absolutely would not. Zayat and Baffert said he was fine after the Haskel. Long after the fact Zayat said he thought he had pneuomonia when he first went to the NJ equine clinic. I said he did not and never did have pneumonia. I love that you put words in quotes as if I said exactly that. I never did, and never in any context that you are implying. Don't me mad because I was right and try to make in into something it was not.
Tiny Montgomery More than 1 year ago
In the first of my replies where I quote you as saying "Paynter is not sick", I did from memory, when you denied saying it I went back and checked. It should say "He is not sick", in an article dated August 11 Paynter goes to clinic or something like that, your reply to John Capper.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
You've managed to merge two issues meant to confuse and deceive. I was directly responding to one person on one day with his words, 43 days ago. At that time he was not sick which I specifically meant as in equine illness. And in fact he was not sick at that time. Don't believe me? Then would you believe his connections? Baffert, Zayat, Zayat's son, and the vet said he was fine and acting great. I was right. You say I implied they took blood and attempted to clean his system. We later found out at that time the only thing they diagnosed was a high red blood count. We also know the vet gave him fluids and antibiotics. Guess I was right again. They said he's fine and put him back in training. I thought the horse wasn't right, but not equine illness as we most think of it. A reaction to something. The train wreck that is now Paynter started July 29.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
Exactly how was it you KNEW he was "not sick". Wait lets see vet told Baf , Baf told Zayat , Zayat told "reporter" and Horse cent now knows all the facts. Look up the words SPECULATE and CONJECTURE they mean the opposite of what you think. Thats what you're missing.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
bobby smith. It is not pure conjecture, it is an opinion based on fact, and there is a difference. I'm sure you looked it up and still don't know the difference. You guys keep popping in and out commenting on statements out of context confused even more by someone who did the same before you and before him. If you were weren't around from the inception of this story and the comments by us all you aren't qualified to comment. The actual conversation was my strong opinion that this horse would not run in the Travers no matter what Zayat kept saying. And not because he was had an illness. I was clear about what I thought it was. Later Zayat made statements about him being sick at that time, insinuating he might have had pneumonia. I said he wasn't sick and didn't have it and was never going in the Travers. He was never diagnosed with an illness until colitis almost a week after the Travers. You're picking about things you are not aware of and weren't involved in and are ignoring the facts of the story and commenting on things out of context and I'm guessing wouldn't understand anyway. That's what you're missing bobby. Just more idiotic comments. PS Love the cute capitalizations, and the incorrect use of quotations.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
It also would appear your scam to put words in my mouth is a misinformation. If you're talking about colitis, Paynter was diagnosed with it 6 weeks after the Haskel and almost a week after the Travers. They said he was fine and acting like he didn't even run after the Haskel. I thought the horse wasn't right and no way would make the Travers. I was right again. But it wasn't an illness anyone has yet to confirm. I was clear about what I thought it was. I never used the words you quote. I said he never had pneumonia. He never did. Right again. The colitis thing was long after any of that. Try again.
Tiny Montgomery More than 1 year ago
I should have made it a little more clear when I said "when this all started", I meant when Paynter first went to the NJ clinic. In your response to John Capper, 43 days ago, your exact words are "He is not sick". You have implied that he was only sent to the clinic so they could draw blood and make sure he was clean. My point in all this is that everything you say is conjecture, to assume is to presume. I don't claim to know why the connections say what they say, but my feeling is Paynter was sick from the beginning and it developed into something more serious. Obviously you don't like these people and that is your right. I would just like to see some tangible evidence and not just pure speculation all day every day.
Tiny Montgomery More than 1 year ago
I don't know which reply to reply on anymore. I think I've got the central feature of your argument now. Whenever Baffert, the Zayats, or the Vets say something to the media, I need to consult you to find out whether it is the truth this time or just spin. I get it, you are always right, and you can always tell the difference. The part I don't understand (I really don't so I'm just asking) is it common practice for a Vet, to give antibiotics, to a horse who is not sick in the equine sense, but rather experiencing a reaction to PED or EPO. My gut tells me this would only add fuel to the fire, but like I said I don't know.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I'm glad you get it now. Good for you. It's not rocket science, anyone with a brain could have figured it out. Like in humans, antibiotics are almost always given as a precaution even if not needed and diagnosis unknown.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
LOL I was going to tell you the same thing but its obvious, you didnt get it.
BB More than 1 year ago
antibiotics almost always given as a precaution, first time I've heard that
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
To quote the NJ equine clinic vet, "we gave him fluids and antibiotics as a precaution." You only look foolish in bashing before doing your research. And if that's the first time you heard that you don't get out much. I got it, you didn't get my response.
BB More than 1 year ago
the first rule of antibiotics is to try not to use them, the second rule is to try not to use too many of them......if they were used mostly for prevention, why do so many people get the flu every year?
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
BB, because the flu is caused by a virus and antibiotics are given for bacterial infections. Funny how quotes from people invloved in this story and published in articles on this site are ignored and still not believed. Do your homework. If you folks are going to pick a fight in a battle of wits you should not join the fray unarmed. I will not respond to the next idiotic post.
BB More than 1 year ago
you are absolutely right about the flu I spoke before I thought.....still can't remember ever being prescribed antibiotics for something I didn't have yet...maybe before surgery to prevent infection.....
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
It doesnt get any better than this Horse Cent. This is a direct quote from YOU "You only look foolish in bashing before doing your research"
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
bobby, again I really enjoy the childish use of capitalizing YOU. Lay off the crack and booze, it's not a good combination. Again you pop in and make a senseless comment. I did not bash without doing research. I came to an opinion based on the facts as we know them from doing all the research. Clearly you don't know the facts and didn't do the research. Your comments which you're clearing trying to come of as insightful, simply sound like they're comming from a twelve year old. No more booze for you young man. And no more responses for your idiotic comments.
BB More than 1 year ago
no no no horse cents I'm not concerned with what nj vet said......I just never heard of antibiotics given as a precaution in humans even if not needed and diagnosis unknown.....what do they give them for.....aren't there many different kinds of antibiotics that are given for different things.....if diagnosis unknown how do they know what to give......all I really know is your body will build up resistance to them after a while
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Going out on a limb saying the people at Juddmonte see things a little different. Thinking they also have people with slightly better credentials than those one might get at the prestegious Suffolk Downs. You obviously have serious envy issues with BB, but you should really give it a rest. This is a forum who enjoy the sport not for personal issues.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
For knocking my roots you get thumbs down my friend. Plenty of good horseman in new england who just aren't rich but still provide for their horses. That was personal dumass. Get a clue. As far as Juddmonte's credentials no arguement there. You take a factual comment and because you don't like it you insult my horsemanship. Well none of the horses I trained ever ended up on deaths door. The ones who didn't pan out retired to show careers or pleasure ponies. Now. We have won The Remsen, Mother Goose, Diana, Preakness, Champagne, BC Sprint, Hopeful, Swale, Mr Prospector, Donn, Dwyer, and a few others in recent years. I am very proud of where I started. Grateful to those that helped me. Aprreciative of my current position. And hopeful to continue to be an assistant who can help my boss and these horses. Whenever you want to compare credentials or knowledge of racing let us know your true name. Show some backbone. Or are you that small in person as well.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
Dont look now Tom! Shoes on the other foot. Horse sense is right beside you though.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Along with about all of New york and the rest of the country. You don't seem to grasp the facts that are right in front of your eyes. That's called ignorance.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Where did Bob start?? That's right quarter horse circuits. Don't see you pointing that out.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Actually I did. In a reply earlier on this same page. As for getting personal,isn't that what you do? I don't know who we is,but it's not your name in the program. If you can't take it don't dish it out. Like I said before this is a forum for people who ENJOY the sport. Maybe you are just over qualified for a space like this.Kind of ironic that you misspelled "dumass"(sic) though.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
IF i spelled it dumb they would not allow the comment. Like I said. If the shoe fits. By the way I enjoy every day in this business. I also enjoy talking or commenting obviously. What galls me is naivety and ignorance and or greed when it hurts a horse.
Sam More than 1 year ago
You forgot Angel Montano
Sam More than 1 year ago
You forgot Angel Montano
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Hallelujah! So glad to hear the news. Thanks to the connections for keeping the faith and never underestimating the power of prayer and fans. Paynter, keep on keeping on....
Jim Fields More than 1 year ago
I had suggested a blood replacement theory that I had used with a couple of horses that had foundered and had laminitis, I'm curious if they tried that method. I certainly wasn't, by any means, the source of that theory, but I know it worked in my cases.
russell More than 1 year ago
Why do some people bash Zayat? I know he had some financial issues which were resolved but why the venom? The owner did nothing wrong. If anything Baffert deserves responsibilty for not getting the proper care for this horse originally. This horse never had the flu.
Barbara Bowen More than 1 year ago
No one ever said he had the flu and Baffert put the horse in excellent care. There is no one to blame. Horses get sick.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Wrong. Zayat in an effort to put spin on the actual cause of illness, said he thought he had pnuemonia when he first went to the NJ equine clinic. He said that long after the fact. He of course did not have it.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Mrs. Cook?
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I'll ignore your ignorant statement but you seem to ignore facts. My statement is absolute fact. Do your research little jeffey.
Morris More than 1 year ago
reading this blog proves that ,you can please some of the people some of the time. BUT. there are some of the people, that you cant prove, anytime. keep up the good work, mr. zayat. & good luck ,paynter. "an ole railbird"