08/04/2013 5:43PM

Woodbine: Smartyfly wins Wonder Where Stakes; Nipissing put down

Michael Burns
Smartyfly, under Eurico Rosa da Silva, wins the Wonder Where Stakes by three lengths Sunday at Woodbine.

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – Smartyfly ($13.40) led virtually all the way in Sunday’s $250,000 Wonder Where Stakes, which was marred by the fatal breakdown of Woodbine Oaks winner Nipissing.

Smartyfly was hounded by the favored Spring in the Air throughout the 1 1/4-mile turf route while setting moderate fractions of 25.90 seconds, 50, and 1:14.07 over firm ground. Spring in the Air drew alongside her in the stretch, but Smartyfly repelled her bid in the final furlong and draw clear to score by three lengths in 2:03.27.

Surtsey rallied from fourth to finish a neck behind Spring in the Air in third in the eight-horse field.

Nipissing was pulled up early on the far turn by Steve Bahen. She suffered a hind leg injury and was euthanized after being vanned back to her barn.

Eurico Rosa da Silva, who rode Smartyfly, said he discussed the lack of speed in the race with trainer Malcolm Pierce, and they decided to go for the lead if nobody else wanted it.

“She was very happy where she was and ran a great race,” da Silva said.

Pierce said Smartyfly’s only other turf race, in allowance company at Keeneland, was a throw-out.

“I think this filly loves the grass,” Pierce said. “She might have found a home here on the turf.”

The Wonder Where was the final leg of the Canadian Triple Tiara, a series for Canadian-bred 3-year-old fillies. Smartyfly also competed in the other two Tiara races, finishing fourth in the Woodbine Oaks and second in the Bison City Stakes. In the Wonder Where, she earned $150,000 for her first stakes victory for Sam-Son Farm.

Linda Steer More than 1 year ago
Linda Steer My tears are flowing, you will always be remembered, dear Nipissing may you rest in peace.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
May you roam free and run like the wind with all your fellow thoroughbreds in horse heaven Nipissing. To the connections and to all horse and animal lovers my heartfelt condolences go out to you. It is always a sad day when any horse has to be put down due to injury.
Kennedy John More than 1 year ago
Extremely sad. First, her sire. Now, the daughter. It diminishes all when these bloodlines are lost.
Rachel Harding More than 1 year ago
"...oh no, Nippissing has been pulled up..." i can hear the saddness and shock in the race callers voice, a sad day for Canada indeed and everywhere in the horse racing world :(
Rachel Harding More than 1 year ago
Nipissing**
martymar . More than 1 year ago
sorry for your lost Rachel, it was truly a sad day in Canadian racing.
Olivia Austen More than 1 year ago
I saw the telecast race today from CA. and it saddened me very much with Nipissing was pulled up. I found out later that she was euthanized, Condonlences to her connections.
Pamela Barnard More than 1 year ago
I was at the races today when Nipissing broke down. I had a small wager on Smartfly (she is a hard trying filly like Nipissing) but I could not cheer as she was coming down the straight for the win as I saw Nipissing beforehand pull up and I knew it was a very serious injury. A lovely horse and so sad for all concerned. My heart goes out to you all.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
I was watching at home and the way Dan Loiselle was calling the race, it sounded really bad the way he reacted to it. I won the super but it was so sad that I just went outside went out for a drive.
Pamela Barnard More than 1 year ago
I had a three hour drive home from Toronto as our friend had a horse in another stakes and my horse was being shipped into town but he had not arrived yet. I kept saying I hope they can save her but my gut told me otherwise. First thing I did was get on the internet only to have my fears confirmed. Thanks for sharing.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
Pamela Barnard More than 1 year ago
Did you take the pictures that are posted to the link and are those pictures of Nipissing from today? I get chills looking at them. She was so beautiful!
Pamela Barnard More than 1 year ago
Disregard about taking the pictures today. You told me you watched from home.
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
I'm certain no one will believe this and it doesn't matter, but the first time I saw a clip of Nipissing in a race that I don't recall, I had a bad/sad feeling about her for no accountable reason. Most sincere condolences to all connections. ;(
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
Uhh, and what made you think that? by how she was running?
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
No. As I said, no apparent reason. I liked her.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
I believe you, I had dreams the last couple of weeks that a major horse at woodbine stake race would break down.
Kalar Walters More than 1 year ago
Thanks. It's not the first time I've had a sense of foreboding about people or animals. Been going on off and on since I was a teenager. I felt a powerful sense of a major paradigm shift the July before 9/11. No idea what it was...just a major shift of some kind and it wasn't good.
Jaime Dubyna More than 1 year ago
Heartbreaking loss of Nipissing. My condolences to her connections. Smartyfly ran an absolute gutsy race out there.
Bill Feingold More than 1 year ago
A sad week gets sadder with the loss of Nipissing. Condolences to Rachel Halden and the rest of her connections.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
so terrible losing nipissing, she was very gentle when I saw the horse at woodbine barn. rip and Rachel Halden is a very nice person.