- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsHorsemen's ProductsReports
Access past performances
- The Wizard
- DRF Gameplan
- Quick Sheets
- DRF Picks
- Today's Racing Digest
- Key Race Report
- Positive ROI Report
- Moss Pace Figure Reports
- Debut Reports
- WE Handicapping Report
Racing and Wagering InformationTools
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF HarnessEye PPs
- DRF Daily Harness Program PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- NewsCategoriesTrack Reports
- StorePast PerformancesREPORTSPICKSHarness PPs
Woodbine: Ontario Racing Commision rules against Natalma Stakes appeal
By Bill Tallon
ETOBICOKE, Ontario – A three-member panel headed by Rod Seiling, chair of the Ontario Racing Commision, on Tuesday morning denied an appeal by trainer Carolyn Costigan regarding the result of the Sept. 15 Natalma Stakes.
The decision followed more than two hours of testimony at the nearby Ontario Racing Commision offices.
Costigan had contended that Nancy O, who is owned by her father, Bob Costigan, and Harry Dobson, had been interfered with shortly after the start of the Natalma, which Spring Venture won by 1 3/4 lengths.
Nancy O finished third, a neck behind runner-up Spring in the Air. Both Spring Venture and Spring in the Air are trained by Mark Casse.
The stewards did not announce an inquiry after the race and Nancy O’s rider David Moran did not lodge a claim of foul, but Costigan appealed the following afternoon after reviewing video replays of the Natalma and meeting with the stewards.
The Ontario Racing Commision expedited the matter because the Natalma is part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge series, with the winner earning a fees-paid berth to the Juvenile Fillies Turf at Santa Anita and a $10,000 travel allowance.
Lawyer Harvey Swartz represented Casse and Spring Venture’s owners Gary Barber and Jim Stone.
Costigan acted as her own counsel and Jennifer Friedman represented the Ontario Racing Commision.
Witnesses included Bill McMahon, the ORC’s senior steward on the day of the Natalma; Spring Venture’s jockey, Patrick Husbands; and Casse. Moran was not called to the stand.
“The 7 [Spring Venture] did break in, but it appeared that the 6 [Nancy O] was a step slow getting into stride,” testified McMahon.
“There was incidental contact but at no time, in my opinion, did you see David [Moran] take hold of his horse. There was no reason to disqualify, in my opinion.”
Husbands admitted there was “slight contact” between the two fillies.
“It was only for a split second, and I got her straightened out and left room for him. I don’t believe Moran ever had to check his horse.”
Husbands and Casse both testified that they believed Nancy O’s slow start precipitated the incident.
“I think our filly came over a touch, prompted by the other filly breaking slowly, and headed for the open space,” said Casse. “The other filly never lost her momentum.”
Costigan attempted to introduce a split-screen video, prepared by a professional, which she said coordinated the head-on and pan shots and would prove that Nancy O did not in fact break slowly.
Seiling refused to allow the evidence, however, as the videographer was not on hand to testify and the video could not be authenticated.
“An infraction did occur, and the horse lost ground as the result of an infraction,” said Costigan, in her closing submission.
Seiling said the ORC’s written reasons for the decision will be forthcoming.
She doesn't have a clue about horse racing, and has a serious lack of experience. Once she's been around for awhile (20 or more years) then let her speak. Just because she worked a short time for a couple trainers in Europe, passed a simple ORC written test and an even simpler hands on test, doesn't mean that she can train horses.
i dont know whos right here,did not see the race.i also beleive objections should be launched after the running not the day after,but ive seen so many bad stewards decisions at so many tacks that its nice to see an owner who holds them accountable and brings video footage.this will make them pay attention more closely knowing they might have to sit through a review of their actions.why casual fans are upset that the owner of the horse is doing this is beyond me,since it doesnt affect them at all.
Just looked at the head on,Costigan is crazy. Bumps like that happen all the time at the start. When the stewards and the jockey didnt claim foul, and the video shows harmless contact,Costigan should have just let it go.
i appeal to the DRF to eliminate the comments sections from the web site. It is simply a place for the same miserable people to post negative comments day after day. Go get drunk somewhere and lay in a sewer all you whiners! If you hate racing so much, why do you frequent the DRF web site. Or are you paid cronies of the Casino consortium that would like racing to go away? Hmmm
should spring air come down no, frivolous no, had the stewards looked at the bumping this would have been concluded 10 minutes after the race.as to a cancer on the industry, no. its always spilled beans unless its your beans.
This nonsense all started back in 2005 when those cry babies at the sam son farm appealed the plate trial stakes involving dances with ravens, since then appeals have become a cancer on this sport in canada that just continue to grow and grow and grow.
get rid of the owner appeals this is a blight and a cancer on this industry in canada!
Costigan should be hit with a frivolous claim of foul.
- 1.Posted 06/16/2013 08:05PM
- 2.Posted 06/17/2013 01:04PM
- 3.Posted 06/15/2013 01:52PM
- 4.Posted 06/17/2013 01:00PM
- 5.Posted 06/17/2013 04:52PM