10/06/2002 11:00PM

Wando cuts leg in Grey win


ETOBICOKE, Ontario - Wando had barely crossed the wire as the emphatic winner of Sunday's Grey Stakes when talk of the Breeders' Cup started bubbling up.

Mike Keogh, who trains Wando for owner/breeder Gustav Schickedanz, was in the process of explaining to a Woodbine television host that he would have to see how the colt came out of the race before planning for the BC Juvenile when he suddenly felt his heart in his throat.

"The horse pulls up right in front of me, and takes a turn," Keogh explained after the interview. "Then I see his right foot, all covered in blood."

Wando had suffered a deep cut on his right hind leg when clipped by a rival during the running of the Grey. Ontario Racing Commission veterinarians Greg Taylor and John McNie promptly applied a pressure bandage to stanch the bleeding.

Keogh, who had rushed to Wando's side, stayed with the colt. Both skipped the winner's circle ceremony, and began a long walk back to the barn, where they were met by veterinarian Dan Duncan.

"The cut was just off his suspensory, but it didn't touch it," said Keogh. "It was fairly deep. We had to put some stitches in there and flush it out as soon as possible.

"He had rundowns [protective bandages] on. I'm glad he had them on, or it would have been worse."

By Monday morning, things seemed relatively well in Wando's world, and the trip to Chicago for the Breeders' Cup remained on the agenda.

"He looks good this morning," said Keogh. "I think he'll be okay. He's definitely sound on it [the injured leg]; that's a good sign.

"He'll have to just walk for four or five days. That doesn't bother me, fitness-wise, but he likes to get out and train."

Keogh said he initially did not see the incident that caused Wando's injury. He certainly took notice, however, when Gigawatt got first run on Wando coming into the stretch and opened up what appeared to be an insurmountable lead.

"I felt like we weren't going to catch him," said Keogh. "But [Wando] swapped onto that right lead, and was on him in three or four jumps."

Mark Casse, who trains Gigawatt for Stonerside Stable, also thought for a few moments that his colt was home free, but then watched him settle for second place.

"I thought at the top of the lane we were a winner," said Casse. "That horse went by awful fast. I was impressed."

Casse does not plan to proceed to the Juvenile with Gigawatt. "We'll talk about it, but I wouldn't think so," he said. "He doesn't have much seasoning, but we have a really good horse and we're going to be patient."

Gigawatt was making only his third start in the Grey, but was coming off an eye-popping 17 3/4-length maiden win here at a mile and 70 yards.

Added Edge tunes up for Nashua or Iroquois

Added Edge, another crack 2-year-old in the Casse arsenal who is bypassing the Breeders' Cup, worked five furlongs in 1:02.80 on the main track Sunday and will make his next start in either the Nov. 2 Nashua at Aqueduct or the Nov. 3 Iroquois at Churchill Downs.

Both the Nashua and Iroquois are Grade 3, $100,000 races over one mile.

"It was just kind of a fast gallop for him," said Casse, who sent out Added Edge to wins in the first three starts of his career here, including the Silver Deputy and Swynford.

Team Valor purchased a majority interest in Added Edge after his maiden win and owns the colt in partnership with Robert Wilson.

Bullet work by Zone Judge

Zone Judge drilled four furlongs in a bullet 47.60 seconds on the main track Sunday, his first workout since upsetting the Play the King Handicap here Aug. 17.

Owned by Winston Penny and trained by Dave Dwyer, Zone Judge had been under consideration as a supplemental nominee to the Sept. 8 Atto Mile but a bruised foot ended those plans.

Zone Judge could make his next start in the $100,000 Labeeb, an overnight stakes at a mile on the grass here Nov. 3, the last day of turf racing at the meeting.

"He's in pretty good shape," said Dwyer. "Hopefully, we'll have enough time to get him ready for that. If he runs good in there, we'll look at the Hong Kong Mile."

The Group 1 Hong Kong Mile will be run at Sha Tin Racecourse Dec. 15.

Dream Launcher is back following ankle surgery

Dream Launcher, who was sidelined early last summer and underwent ankle surgery, took a while to put it all together this season.

But Dream Launcher, a 4-year-old gelding owned and trained by Audre Cappuccitti, underscored the fact that he is back in business with a dominating win here in Saturday's Durham Cup Handicap.

"He hadn't been the same when he came in this year," said Cappuccitti.

"All year long, I've been taking it easy with him. I thought I'd better let him run through his conditions until he got his confidence back."

While Dream Launcher failed to find the range in his first six starts of the season he was performing respectably enough, registering three seconds and a third.

Then, in his penultimate outing here Sept. 14, Dream Launcher was a sharp winner of a classified seven-furlong allowance and earned a career-high Beyer Speed Figure of 100.

"When he won that last race, I said 'He's back!'" said Cappuccitti.

The Durham Cup was the second career stakes score for Dream Launcher, who won the Victoria Park over the same 1 1/8-mile distance here last June.

"He came out of this race excellent," said Cappuccitti, who is pointing Dream Launcher for the $150,000 Woodbine Slots Cup Handicap, a 1 1/16-mile race here Nov. 9.