10/29/2003 1:00AM

Two droppers figure to like class relief

Email

ETOBICOKE, Ontario - One Only Knows and My Real Quiet Lady are both getting significant class relief in Friday's Woodbine headliner, an $80,000 allowance/optional claimer for fillies and mares.

One Only Knows, a 3-year-old trained by Bob Tiller, has won 4 of 10 starts at the meeting, while earning $223,039 in her first year of competition. She won four consecutive dirt allowances in the spring and early summer and was second as the favorite in the Sept. 27 La Lorgnette Stakes.

Tiller paid only $4,000 for One Only Knows at the 2001 Keeneland October yearling sale. He owns 70 percent of her, the other 30 percent belonging to Greg Thompson.

"She's been a pleasant surprise for us," Tiller said. "She's always shown determination. She's as gutsy a filly as you can get."

One Only Knows faced many of the top fillies and mares on the ground most recently, in an allowance prep for the Grade 3 Maple Leaf Stakes, and finished 13 1/2 lengths behind the winner after a wide trip. She will run with an $80,000 tag on Friday; David Clark will be aboard.

My Real Quiet Lady dead-heated with One Only Knows for eighth in the 1 1/8-mile Maple Leaf prep, the first time she missed a paycheck in seven starts this year. She pressed a slow pace in her previous outing, which was at Friday's level, and went on to finish a close second. Gerry Olguin retains the mount for trainer John Charalambous.

Also entered in the 1 1/16-mile race are Miss Santa Anita, Night Edition, Langano, and Touch of Ginger.

Miss Santa Anita has won two 1 1/16-mile allowances in a row for trainer Jim Smith. She won her latest by nearly six lengths in the mud, earning the type of Beyer Speed Figure (84) that would put her in contention here.

Late-running Langano came from far back to win each of her last two main-track starts, including a slow $50,000 claimer. She has taken five cracks at this level in the past, with her best result being a third-place finish. Trainer Mike DePaulo said he believes that Langano never has been better, and is hoping for a lively pace on Friday.

Touch of Ginger figures to lead the way in what will be her third start since a summer layoff. She set slow fractions in an $80,000 race that was taken off the grass Oct. 4 and was beaten a neck after opening a clear lead in midstretch.