06/28/2012 1:40PM

Tuley: O'Neill cashes his 200-1 Kentucky Derby future ticket

Dan Shapiro
Trainer Doug O’Neill bought this future wager ticket, getting 200-1 on I’ll Have Another, a day before he sent out the colt to win his 2012 debut in the Robert B. Lewis.

PRIMM, Nev. – Doug O’Neill has been the face of horse racing for the better part of two months.

I’ll Have Another’s Kentucky Derby win on the first Saturday in May put him in the spotlight and the trainer’s bearded visage was omnipresent through their Preakness victory and then the announcement a day before the Belmont that I’ll Have Another had tendonitis in his front left leg and would be retired, ending his Triple Crown bid. O’Neill has also been at the center of doping discussions and is scheduled to start a 45-day suspension on Sunday, July 1 (he has said he plans to appeal).

But he left all that behind at 5 a.m. Monday as he left Hollywood Park with Team O’Neill racing manager Steve Rothblum and Santa Anita’s CEO, Mark Verge. Their destination was the Primm Valley Resort and Casino in this town on the Nevada/California border. Primm is less than 40 miles south of the Las Vegas Strip on I-15 and the place where locals go when the Mega Millions jackpot gets out of control as lotteries are outlawed in Nevada but there’s a lotto store right over the state line. Primm is also the first place for Californians to find Kentucky Derby futures, as Lucky’s Race and Sports Books run the books here.

On this day, O’Neill was just a regular horseplayer all excited about cashing a Kentucky Derby future-book ticket. Okay, so he wasn’t a typical bettor, as he was holding the only 200-1 ticket on I’ll Have Another bought at the Buffalo Bill’s race book, but since he was clean-shaven, he could have walked in incognito if the three Vegas sports reporters waiting for him hadn’t been tipped off to his arrival. O’Neill’s $100 ticket was bought at 4:48 p.m. Pacific on Feb. 3, the day before I’ll Have Another made his 2012 debut in the Robert B. Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita.

Verge, who hadn’t been named as Santa Anita CEO at that time but was a childhood friend of O’Neill’s, said he received a call from a mutual friend, Chuck Navarro, that week. “Chuck told me he was here and I’ll Have Another was 200-1,” Verge said. “I said ‘You’re kidding me’ and called Doug.”

“Mark said ‘what do you think?’ and I said ‘We gotta support him,’ ” O’Neill said. “He’s always been so talented, so we were optimistic and felt 200-1 was a fair price and very realistic.”

O’Neill and Verge said Navarro made the $100 wager for them. Lucky’s director of marketing, Dan Shapiro, who was also here to witness the ticket being cashed, said that was a limit wager and the only one made at that price, and the odds were dropped to 100-1. O’Neill and Verge said Navarro bet $50 for himself at 100-1 and made six bets in all. By the time he left, Lucky’s had lowered I’ll Have Another’s odds to 25-1, but that wasn’t enough to keep the book from having its first losing Derby futures in the company’s four years of existence, Shapiro said.

On Monday, O’Neill had to fill out a Currency Transaction Report, required for all casino transactions that exceed $10,000, and then was paid the $20,000 profit $100 at a time in four stacks of $5,000 each (plus his $100 bet back). O’Neill and Verge said they were going to spread the winnings around the stable since the colt’s success was a team effort.

Regardless, you know that bettor’s lament when he makes a big score and says, “Now I’m finally even”? or that he needs another one to get ahead? Well, O’Neill was definitely in horseplayer mode.

“I’ve been betting the Derby futures since I can remember, even before I should have been betting them,” said the 44-year-old. “I’ve never been able to cash until now. I’m sure I’ve lost more than this will cash. I usually bet two to three a year, it’s fun to follow their progress.”

O’Neill said he hasn’t bet his own horses in the futures since 2006 when he had the reigning 2-year-old champ, Stevie Wonderboy, and then in 2007 when he had Notional, Great Hunter, and Liquidity with only Great Hunter and Liquidity making the Derby starting gate.

But this year’s bet looked promising from the beginning, as I’ll Have Another won the Robert B. Lewis at odds of 43-1 and then went on to win the Santa Anita Derby. Still, he went off at 15-1 on Derby Day and O’Neill and Rothblum said they still have uncashed tickets from Churchill Downs.

The whirlwind tour after the Derby win also kept O’Neill from cashing his Nevada ticket, so he carried it, neatly folded in a square, as a good-luck charm in numerous shirt pockets. “I treated it like a baby, like it was my third child,” said the father of two.

The luck ran out before the Belmont, but O’Neill repeated what he said in his press conference to announce I’ll Have Another’s sudden retirement: “It was far from tragic,” he said Monday. “The highs were incredible and the lows weren’t that low. We’re grateful for the beautiful ride he gave us.”

O’Neill said he’s optimistic about his crop of 2-year-olds.

“We have 15 of them, the best crop we’ve ever had,” he said, mentioning three promising colts by name: Cinco de Mario (named after Derby-winning jockey Mario Gutierrez), Know More and the cheekily named He’s Had Enough. “Hopefully one of those will develop and give us another run at it.”

Spoken like a trainer – but also like a bettor who can’t wait for the 2013 Derby futures to be posted around Labor Day.

John More than 1 year ago
I might be a little late responding to this but I'll give it a go anyway. It was suggested (Melania Crow) to go to the Racing Medication And Testing Consortium website if you wanted to see which trainers were really cheating. She warned that the list was long and that many trainers were using illegal drugs not just the therapeutic ones. She specifically called out Bob Baffert on at least two occasions. Well I scrolled and scrolled but I didn't see his name anywhere, am I missing something somewhere? I did see Doug O'neill three times,11/4/11 for dantrolene (muscle relaxant), 5/8/10 for omeprazole (stomach ulcers),and 4/24/10 for the dreaded milkshake.Can anyone give me any dates when Baffert had a medication violation.
neigh sayer More than 1 year ago
He had a morphine positve years ago. First said something about poppy seeds on bagels then fought it through federal courts for years and finally got a good ruling on a technicality and the board dismissed it. There are many charges that eventually get dismissed and you won't find them in the records. The smart guys with money fight them and usually get them tossed. You can level many charges on many rumors about many trainers, the best juicing concoctions are masked and undetectable.
Cover2 More than 1 year ago
All well & good, but what did Reddam bet ? Reports that J Paul bet 10K on Union Rags in Belmont.......after he got offer from Japan, then scratched IHA, somethin happened like Barbaro ect et al,,,,,gets squat.......Look for new ruling to prevent this in future ! Nominate to TC, come under their peril/scrutny.....a team of outside vets will examine to see if OK to run...............heard it here first..............................
mike More than 1 year ago
Good for him-nice score! Now in July-everyone cries foul-but it makes me laugh-every horse in that race was treated for something-horses are not machines-and when 90% think its the go-go juice-it may be things like ulcer meds or pain kilers to help an animal-just think if every human had a drug test everyday-how many of us takes pills-supplements to function!So while its drug this and drug that-then dont gamble-dont watch-dont play!
Sean Ali More than 1 year ago
Are you seriously comparing human's to horse's? Do humans HAVE to run at 40 mph carrying 1200 lbs on 4 spindly legs whether they feel like it or not? A human can take pain killers if they have a problem and stop their activity if they need to. Horses don't have that option. Especially with unscrupulous handlers. They cannot talk to say when they are in pain. If they show signs of pain or discomfort they should not run. So on what basis should pain killers be given before a race? How many humans do you know that have to run until they break a leg and then be euthanized? Give me a f++king break !!
Irish More than 1 year ago
Moderator--------where is my Post? If you don't post me at least give me a reason. Was it the world "balls"?
MJP More than 1 year ago
Just makes me think about how lame the racing authorities are. Sure we can bet into the crappy tote "future wager", but most of the country can't legally put down an early future bet and get triple digit odds on a horse we like in early February like O'Neill did. Allow exchange betting, or at least open up a tote-based pool of all Triple Crown nominated 3yo's around the time of the Super Bowl. People could get 2000-1 on some horses. It would be extremely popular among horseplayers. Steve Crist has been proposing it for decades now.
Elijah Allison More than 1 year ago
just keep on taking it to em dougy, and ill keep betting your horses!!
Mooch J More than 1 year ago
Didn't Wayne Lucas bet $1,000 on Winning Colors at 15-1 on the future KD bet at the Race Book at Caliente? If I remember right he gave it to his Stable employees
David Robinson More than 1 year ago
no it was not 15-1. it was more like 150-1 and every employee in the stable had bets down on the horse in the future at caliente, not vegas or stateline. they collected way more then oneil did. it was a few hundred thousand.
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
Pletcher cashed 300 grand on Winning Colors
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
who cares if the degenerate doping guy cashes a bet on his one super star. he gonna need all the money he can when they retire him and he's workin at arby's for minimum wage. the karma of what has been done to his horses and to the great heart of IHA and how the poor colt got stabbed in the back for his courageous victories will eventually even the playing field
Elijah Allison More than 1 year ago
its horse racing, thats what happens, trainers train, jockeys jock, and horses run, what do expect them to do let iha hang around the stable for a while, no.... breeds him so his offspring can win a derby in the near future......oh and if you think hes the only one doping, hahaha,
Tom More than 1 year ago
Hey genius Thomas Cook please share with just one example of Doug O'Neall ever doping a single horse. You are a fool.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
go look up thoroughbred rulings on the guy.... duh... thats thoroughbredrulings.com
MJP More than 1 year ago
If you think that he's done anything Pletcher, Dutrow, Baffert, Asmussen haven't you are a fool.
Frank More than 1 year ago
If he was anykind of man/horseman he would donate it all to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. Guys like O'Neil continue to take take take from these precious animals and very few ever give back and show their compassion for these animals that give their lives to them for his livelyhood.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
This land is the land of capitalism. Without horse racing as an industry, these horses wouldn't be born in the first place. Anyone who has a bleeding heart should find another hobby. Every aspect of this industry is technically "cruel" to the animal, it doesn't matter who the trainer or owner is. The first thing they do to a horse before any training is to "break" them. "Breaking a horse" has an almost literal meaning. Look it up. Human being is the #1 species in the world, therefore we get to do what we want. Don't like it? First step you should find another hobby. Then lobby to have horse racing outlawed.
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
I'm not a trainer but I've been around quarter horse training. Breaking a horse has zero literal meaning. Some people are cruel to horses but a real man is not cruel. I suspect most trainers have big hearts.
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
I had to add to my comment. If you try to instill fear in a horse, you'll end up with a lousy horse.
MGropenSDREADER More than 1 year ago
You're an EFFIN' LUNATIC! What the F are you doing on the DRF site if you hate horse racing, you little ridgling? Stick with PETA, b*tch!
victor More than 1 year ago
It always cracks me up how people like to spend other peoples money.
Tom More than 1 year ago
Fool
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
You want to donate to those weaZel beggars go ahead. Which stronaching weaZel foundation are you making your living at Frank ? I don't want to eat a racehorse ,buttZ ... I wouldn't mind a little prime rib of peta weazel !!! LOL.
Alright, DO! It seem's to me you are a character with "luck" Rob