10/11/2014 10:23AM

Treve will race next year with eye on third Arc win

Email

It surprised many when Treve bounced back into top form and won the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe on Oct. 5, becoming the first repeat Arc winner since Alleged in 1977-1978. But the real surprise came Saturday, when news reports out of Great Britain revealed that the 4-year-old filly would not, as previously had been announced, be retired to life as a broodmare. Instead, her connections said Treve will race again as a 5-year-old in 2015, her goal a third straight victory in the Arc.

Treve is owned by the Al Shaqab Racing of Sheikh Joaan al Thani, who purchased her from the Head family of trainer Criquette Head-Maarek during the summer of 2013, several months before Treve dazzlingly won her first Arc. Treve was slow to find her form in 2014, batting foot and back issues, and won for the first time this year when she captured the Arc by two lengths over Flintshire.

Al Shaqab racing manager Harry Herbert said in an interview a few minutes after the race that Treve would be retired, though Head-Maarek in post-race interviews left open the possibility of Treve making one final start this year. Treve’s retirement was announced Oct. 6, and that seemed the end of the story, but Saturday brought news that al Thani and Head-Maarek had discussed the situation and chosen to give Treve one final racing campaign.

Treve already has secured her place in racing history with back-to-back Arc wins, but a third straight victory in the race, something never accomplished, would make her legendary.