08/21/2013 4:22PM

Travers: Godolphin's hopes rest with intriguing longshots Transparent, Romansh

Romansh did not wear blinkers when he was out for exercise on Tuesday, but will race wearing them in Saturday's Travers.

This content is part of a free preview of DRF Plus. Click to learn more.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – In recent years, trainers Kiaran McLaughlin and Tom Albertrani have won the Travers with horses from whom big things were expected.

Saturday, in the 144th Travers Stakes at Saratoga, McLaughlin and Albertrani are back in the race with horses that could be intriguing longshots in a field highlighted by Haskell winner Verrazano, Belmont Stakes winner Palace Malice, and Kentucky Derby winner Orb.

McLaughlin, whose Alpha won last year’s Travers in a dead heat with Golden Ticket, sends out Transparent, a $725,000 yearling purchase. Albertrani, who won the 2006 Travers with Bernardini, sends out Romansh, a $750,000 yearling purchase.

Both horses are owned by Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum’s Godolphin Racing and both are sons of Bernardini. Though coupled in the Curlin Stakes, Romansh and Transparent will race as separate betting interests Saturday because state rules allow horses to race uncoupled in $1 million races.

DRF Plus Preview

Transparent, listed at 10-1 on the track’s morning line, has finished first in his last two starts. Of course, those races came 113 days apart and Transparent was disqualified from first and placed fifth in the July 26 Curlin Stakes, a race in which he interfered with fourth-place finisher Proud Strike approaching the quarter pole.

Between those two starts, Transparent was battling foot issues that McLaughlin finally rectified by equipping the colt with glue-on shoes on his hind feet. McLaughlin said Transparent is only the second horse on which he has used glue-ons behind.

“We were struggling trying to figure out what was going on,” McLaughlin said. “We thought he was sensitive to nails behind. A lot of times you’re guessing, but we had a pretty good idea.”

McLaughlin noted that those foot issues led to a spotty work tab for Transparent leading into the Curlin. Transparent, who only worked twice in the month of July, has worked twice since the Curlin.

“He had a race, he’s had two works, and now he’s ready to go,” McLaughlin said. “He wants the distance. But I like to say you got to put your horses with the worst company and yourself with the best company. I’m not doing a great job at it. . . . We feel like we have a chance. We’re not just trying to hit the board.”

McLaughlin stuck with Irad Ortiz Jr., though he acknowledged Ortiz made a mistake by moving a tad too early in the Curlin, which led to the disqualification.

“Really and truthfully, he made a half-a-stride mistake,” McLaughlin said. “He loves the horse and the horse runs for him. You start switching riders other things happen, so we have confidence in him on this horse.”

Romansh was ahead of Transparent at the point of the race where the interference occurred. He struck the front in midstretch, but couldn’t hold off Transparent while finishing 2 3/4 lengths clear of the rest of the field.

The Curlin was just the fourth lifetime start for Romansh, who had won an off-the-turf maiden race at Belmont in May.

“I could see just a big progression from then to the Curlin Stakes,” Albertrani said. “The horse is making giant steps forward – that’s what I like. Even though we didn’t win the race, I thought he ran a big race and could improve off it.”

Despite the fact Romansh was coming off a win, Albertrani made an equipment change to blinkers for the Curlin.

“Junior made a comment how focused he was,” Albertrani said, referring to Junior Alvarado, who rode him that day. “In his first two races, I thought he was looking around. Even the day he [won] his maiden, he made a little bit of a move and then he looked like he balked a little bit and then he got himself going again.”

Alvarado will not be riding Romansh in the Travers because he had made a commitment to ride Will Take Charge, a mount he later lost.

Javier Castellano, the leading rider at this meet and a three-time Travers winner, will ride Romansh, who is listed at 12-1 on the morning line. Castellano rode Bernardini to victory for Albertrani and Sheikh Mohammed in the 2006 Travers against a much less accomplished field than Romansh faces Saturday.

“This is definitely a stronger Travers than we’ve seen the last couple of years,” Albertrani said. “We need to make a step up, but I like the progress this horse has made every race. I couldn’t be happier with how he’s been training. He looks fantastic going into the race.”

John Nicoletti More than 1 year ago
At a mile and a quarter pedigree becomes a factor. Verrazano will be tough.
Silverstar Insurance More than 1 year ago
I agree it's bad marketing for these idiots
Randy Baker More than 1 year ago
My friends brothers uncles sister made $1200 betting the pick four at Los alamitos on the Internet Friday night
Luis Chiari More than 1 year ago
Cocentrate on the Travers!. "VERRAZANO all day long".
Alex More than 1 year ago
Why did Lewkis replace Alvarado on Will Take Charge??
Jd Staton More than 1 year ago
not sure but i wouldnt have made that move. maybe a month ago yea but siez isnt having a very good meet
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
I agree. I'll take Alvarado over Saez any day of the week.
robert More than 1 year ago
Saez has heated up along with McLaughlin. Will it last....?
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
Transparent, Romansh along with War Dancer are definitely the wildcards here. I wouldn't consider them throw-outs simply because they are bred to go 1M 1/4 unlike Verrazano. I still think Orb and Palace Malice will tough to beat though.
Irish Central More than 1 year ago
Verazzano beats Orb in a tight finish, think Will's Way
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
I have a feeling neither will be in the exacta. It's wide open after Palace Malice who I think will win rather comfortably. Best of luck to you anyhow!
mark oleary More than 1 year ago
how can we get rid of the garbage posts about some chick who's sister made money on a website GO AWAY! AND SPAM UP SOME PLACE ELSE! THIS IS FOR HORSEMEN IDIOT!
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
I totally agree with you. I thought it was just me and I was the only one who saw them. No one seems to say anything about them so I kept quiet. Thanx for bringing this up. This is not the venue for advertising websites and I would think drf.com would have a webmaster delete them. It is annoying. I simply choose to ignore them and not read the posts.
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
Just try to ignore them because I don't think it's going to stop.
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
Relax, it's not good for your blood pressure. There are fools everywhere you turn.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Jimmy Powell More than 1 year ago
You need to take that stuff some where else!~! jlp
Robert McLaughlin More than 1 year ago
U r a pain in the arse with this crap. Be respectful, u know UR stick has nothing to do with the article or horse racing, so stop being rude and post it somewhere relevant. I have some ideas where to put it that is relevant, but if I expressed it the DRF would ban me from further comments.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
HEY DIRTBAG....... How do you work 8 months for a company that has been in business for only 1? You do realize that I now have your IP address and will have you out of business in a week with my computer ability. Prepare for a massive virus and DO NOT mess with a site that has no concern of yours. Yad7.com has 1 month old, it is ranked #4,937,219 in the world, a low rank means that this website gets lots of visitors. This site is worth $125 USD and advertising revenue is $0 USD per day. it has 76 visitors and 76 pageviews per day. Currently, this site needs more than 27.30 MB bandwidth per day, this month will needs more than 846.28 MB bandwidth. Its seo score is 63.1%. IP address is, and its server is hosted at . Last updated on Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:22:47 GMT.