03/24/2015 1:35PM

Training great Jerkens gets proper send-off

From left, Allen Jerkens's sons, Steven, Jimmy, and Allen Jr.; and daughter, Julie, speak at their father's memorial service Tuesday.

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – A standing-room-only crowd filled the Sport of Kings Theatre at Gulfstream Park on Tuesday morning to say goodbye to Allen Jerkens in a memorial service for the Hall of Fame trainer, who died March 18.

Family members, media members, trainers, and Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero shared stories about Jerkens, remembering him as a soft-spoken, fierce competitor with a passion for the sport and compassion for those who worked in it.

“Allen taught us you can live quietly and speak very loudly,” said Caton Bredar, the racing analyst who emceed the one-hour ceremony. “Not a Giant Killer but a giant of a person.”

Jerkens was nicknamed “Giant Killer” for orchestrating some of the biggest upsets in Thoroughbred racing, beating Secretariat twice and Kelso three times. But he also was nicknamed “The Chief” as someone who mentored countless people and provided jobs to many more on the backstretch.

Allen Jerkens Jr., who did not follow his father into the Thoroughbred industry, gave an emotional speech, detailing what it was like to grow up the trainer’s son. Jerkens stood on the stage alongside his brothers, Jimmy and Steve – both horse trainers – and his sister, Julie.

Above the stage was a photo of Allen Jerkens in a tuxedo at the barn with a hose in his hand, presumably filling the water bucket of one of his horses.

“That photo was taken 30 minutes before our sister was going to walk down the aisle,” Allen Jerkens Jr. said. “Feeding the horses in his stable. You get the gist.”

Jerkens described what Christmas was like in the Jerkens household.

“We were the only family around where the father woke the kids to open presents instead of the other way around,” he said. “Santa had to get his work done early. Dad was up at 3:15, presents at 3:45, breakfast at 4, and out the door at 4:15.”

Jerkens said his father said he had to get to the barn early in case “the hotwalkers didn’t get to the barn because it was Christmas.”

Sean Clancy, the Eclipse Award-winning writer and former steeplechase jockey, spent many mornings talking with Jerkens at Saratoga.

“They say never meet your heroes, they’ll always let you down,” Clancy said. “Not The Chief. He never let us down. He’s the greatest.”

Todd Pletcher, a seven-time Eclipse Award-winning trainer, referenced a response Jerkens once gave when asked how he would like to be remembered.

“I did the best I could, paid attention, and never did anybody wrong,” Pletcher paraphrased Jerkens as saying. “If we could all live our lives like that, we’d all be in a much better place. God bless The Chief.”

Cordero said he first met Jerkens in 1962. He recalled at a dinner in the 1990s when Cordero’s wife, Marjorie, asked Jerkens who were the best riders he’d ever seen. Jerkens named Eddie Arcaro, Bill Shoemaker, Bill Boland – who attended Tuesday’s service – and Cordero.

Two days later, Cordero recalled, he got beat on a Jerkens horse when he allowed a rival to rally along the rail. Cordero recalled a not-too-happy Jerkens yelling at him for several minutes after the race.

“Who told you you were any good?” Cordero recalled Jerkens screaming. “You did, two nights ago. He said, ‘I must’ve been drunk.’ ”

Cordero then said Jerkens was to horse racing what Muhammad Ali was to boxing and Michael Jordan was to basketball.

“The Chief was the best I ever saw in my life,” Cordero said. “I will always remember him.”

Vincent More than 1 year ago
I was visiting my aunt in a nursing home a few years ago and had heard that Allen Jerkens was in the same home recuperating from an illness. I went to the desk to inquire where his room was and was told there was no patient with that name registered in the hospital, but there was a Henry Jerkens. Aha, I asked where his room was, wheeled my aunt up to his room and barged in explaining I was one of his admirers. Well, he thanked me for coming and then spent 15 minutes with me talking about his horses and listening to my aunt brag that she was 95 years old. He treated us both as though we were old friends though this was the first time I met him. Rest in Peace, Allen, er, Henry
Jamrs Lenox More than 1 year ago
God Bless the chief..
Mark Oleary More than 1 year ago
This man was old school horseracing in a nutshell. Dedicated, diligent, courteous yet vocal when the situation warranted, and above all, meticulous to every detail. He didn't always have the glamor horse or the deep pocket owners, although Hobeau Farm certainly had a slew of nice animals, but he always got everything out of a horse that could be extracated.His mastery over Kelso with Beau Purple and his stunning upsets over Secretariat by first Onion, then Prove Out, are a testament to that. We will miss you Mr. Jerkens, and I am glad that your children can carry on your legacy.
Jock More than 1 year ago
I believe that you have said it very well. God Bless the King.
Charles Sakach More than 1 year ago
Though I didn't know him personally, it is hard to keep my eyes dry reading this article. His accomplishments and exploits in racing are obviously the results of dedication and integrity. This sport truly has lost one of its greatest trainers. He is an example of what every trainer should aspire to be and serves as an example as to how everyone should try to live...love what you do and do what you love...
Agrisource USA More than 1 year ago
May he be at the races everyday
Agrisource USA More than 1 year ago
I will always remember that one day at Aqueduct , back in the 70's i asked him, did has horse have a chance in an up coming race, he replied, do you think you can outrun him, no Sir i said, "well then" he replied. His horse that day won by 8 lengths easily.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Charles Sakach More than 1 year ago
Really? Did you really have to attach this trash to this article?
Marcelino Carpio More than 1 year ago
Simply the best. A grade 1 race on his name on Belmont's day will be his best tribute.
jimf552 More than 1 year ago
Agree, Met Mile seems logical.
Amy Hurley More than 1 year ago
No disrespect intended to Mr. Jerkens, whom I agree deserves a Grade 1 stakes named after him in NY, but please leave the Met Mile alone. It has such a long history and should not be renamed. I suspect that even Mr. Jerkens and his family would not approve of such a change. I don't even like moving its traditional Memorial Day running to the Belmont undercard.
Anna Villafane More than 1 year ago
No other trainer, but Alen Jerkens, would use his best exercise boy/girl to ride his Breeders Cup entrants. ( Roy Ganpath/ Shannon Huske )
Brian Taylor More than 1 year ago
He will be fondly remembered and sorely missed.