05/07/2008 11:00PM

Super High Five carryover hit for $26,922


LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Eighty winning $1 tickets, each returning $26,922, were sold Thursday on the Super High Five wager at Churchill after the day started with a jackpot carryover of $866,712.

Held on the last race daily, the Super High Five was not as difficult as in some prior days, mostly because the 9-5 favorite, Unbridled Spring, proved victorious in a field of 11, giving jockey Miguel Mena his fifth winner on the day. Ready's Rocket, a 10-1 shot, rallied to finish second, followed by Delightful Demi (21-1), Turntwo (29-1), and Stop the Race (6-1). The winning numbers were 4-3-7-11-9.

An additional $1,585,219 was bet into the Super High Five on Thursday.

The emptying of the Super High Five jackpot ended a dizzying two days of fans trying to take down the pick six and Super High Five, both of which had gone unhit on Derby Day.

Seaside Retreat back in spotlight

The majority of the 20 horses that ran last Saturday in the Kentucky Derby might well be destined for the kind of obscurity that Seaside Retreat has achieved. A little more than two years after he ran 10th at 52-1 in the Derby, the 5-year-old Seaside Retreat has knocked out a couple of stakes wins and more than $525,000 while competing in races far less prestigious than the 2006 Derby, won by Barbaro.

Take his next race, for example. A $60,000 turf allowance that serves as the Saturday feature at Churchill Downs has become typical fare for Seaside Retreat, and as such he fits well amid other useful horses who otherwise did not get a few moments in racing's hottest spotlight.

Mark Casse is the trainer of Seaside Retreat, who recently returned from a 14-month layoff to be sixth in a tough turf mile on opening day of the Churchill spring meet. Casse said he believes Seaside Retreat fits the mold of some of his other top horses in the respect that "we're getting them geared up for what we hope will be a good summer and fall back in Canada," he said.

Although he has become one of Canada's premier trainers, Casse is no stranger to Kentucky racing, having been the leading trainer at the 1988 Churchill spring meet when he was just 27. He currently has 16 horses in a Churchill string being overseen by his son, Norman, although he said turf horses such as Seaside Retreat, Marchfield, and Sprung - all in action here this week - soon will be returning to him at Woodbine.

Just five other turf runners are entered against Seaside Retreat in the 10th of 11 Saturday races. With 14 stakes races having been run here last week - two on Thursday, six on Oaks Day, and six on Derby Day - there won't be another stakes at Churchill until next Saturday, May 17, when the $100,000 Matt Winn is run.

Bettor invested $106K in pick six

The unidentified person who bought the winning pick six ticket worth more than $1.1 million Wednesday spent exactly $106,000 through multiple tickets to hit it, according to Churchill officials. The tickets were bought through a Nevada wagering hub, which does not necessarily mean the buyer was physically located in the state because of the various wagering platforms that are serviced through the hub.

The payoff of $1,127,774 narrowly missed the Churchill pick six record of $1,168,136, set June 25, 2003. The carryover jackpot going into Wednesday was $410,599.

Big Brown's sibling third

Five days after Big Brown raced to glory by winning the 134th Derby, his older half-brother performed here with far less spectacular results.

Snake River Canyon, a 4-year-old gelding by Gulch out of Mien, by Nureyev, finished third of five starters in Thursday's fourth race, a $50,000 claiming route. Big Brown is by Boundary out of Mien.

Interestingly, Snake River Canyon was owned briefly by Paul Pompa Jr., who last year sold majority interest in Big Brown to the IEAH Stables. Pompa, with Pat Reynolds as trainer, claimed Snake River Canyon in January 2007 for $62,500, then lost him back to the original and current owner, Greg Besinger, for $75,000 in his next start nearly two months later.

* The rain that soaked the Louisville area in mid-week meant the two turf races scheduled for Thursday had to be moved to the main track, marking the first such move of the nine-day-old meet.moved to the main track, marking the first such move of the nine-day-old meet.