07/15/2013 1:24PM

Suffolk Downs: Andria Terrill remains hospitalized week after spill


EAST BOSTON, Mass. – Andria Terrill remained in Massachusetts Hospital on Monday afternoon, waiting for a consultation with her medical team after they reviewed the results from a new MRI administered Sunday night. Terrill was admitted to the hospital on July 8 after suffering three fractures at the base of her skull in a spill at Suffolk Downs and has undergone several CT scans, MRIs, and other diagnostic tests. It had been incorrrectly reported that she had been released on Saturday.

“She’s in good spirits and is looking forward to going home and then getting back to work,” said her agent, Eddie Smith.

When reached via text Monday, Terrill expressed gratitude for the outpouring of well wishes and prayers on her behalf.

“Everyone has been beyond supportive and wonderful and gone above what’s expected,” she said through a text message.

Terrill’s prognosis for recovery remains optimistic as her doctors expect the small fractures to heal on their own in about six weeks. Nonetheless, Smith said that she is experiencing what he termed “little complications” as she is having difficulty hearing from her right ear and has lost her sense of taste. The agent added that her doctors indicated her problems may be due to swelling in the injured area that is affecting the nerves, although they expected the issues to resolve when the swelling subsides.

On Saturday afternoon, Terrill texted, “I should be fine with no problems.” There was no word on when she may return to the saddle.

Terrill was unseated by Chapel’s Beauty after the break of the fourth race and was unconscious on the racetrack. After Terrill regained consciousness she was transported by ambulance to the hospital for evaluation.

Terrill currently ranks second in the Suffolk jockey standings with 18 wins from 78 mounts, and through July 8 had 107 career wins, 102 seconds, and 102 thirds from 758 starts, with her mounts earning $1,289,000.

Chapel’s Beauty, a 3-year-old filly owned and bred by Patricia Generazio and trained by Brenda McCarthy, was unharmed. The one-mile race for $5,000 maiden-claiming fillies and mares was declared a non-contest, with the purse divided among the entrants and wagers refunded.